PDA

View Full Version : New Independent Suspension System

Jarrah Jack
11-09-2012, 08:51 PM
I visited an old mate last week who I haven't seen for a long time. He's a bit of an interesting but smart eccentric in some ways. He showed me this independent suspension system that he's been developing for a number of years. Its a simple enough idea but there's been a lot of tweaks going by the amount of old axles in his workshop.

He's had a lot of interest from various companies from marine to plant trailers. He also makes his own stainless trailers and there are a few getting around Oz now.

Sorry if this sounds like a plug but I have no financial interest other than a few sambuccas with him every now and then.:)

Spaniard_King
12-09-2012, 06:58 AM
Pretty similar to the rubber torsion suspension which is very common these days... wouldnt say it was revolutionary. If the suspension was easily replaceable well that could be a winner as the rubber one is a B!@tch to replace

How is he going to combat differing axle width's??

I just ordered a torsion axle for a customer 8 week delivery and $1000.00

finga
12-09-2012, 07:13 AM
So the heavy one is like a rubber torsion system and the light one is like a normal solid axle but with floppy bits on each end?
How are the spring packs held in?

How much money will procure 2 sets of the trailing arm setup?

hilta1
12-09-2012, 07:34 AM
http://www.rollsaxle.com/AXLE&end.jpgThis is an imteresting spring and axle design, i would love to get hold of these.Apparently they are all alloy with stainless hubs

cormorant
12-09-2012, 10:01 AM
Hi Hilta - can you give a link or more details of the photo you have put up? Is it a Aussie one?

Great to see people trying things and hope they get them to a decent scale production and cheap enough to be installed and lesser maintainance.

Not sure how the ones Jarrah has shown can be "wheel aligned"as they wear and not sure why he wouldn't go for a coil spring like they are on offroad camper trailers these days as the rate for different trailer weight can be sorted. Most trailing arm style suspensions use triangulation to get alignment and strength. I like the idea for low loading car and plant trailers.
The ultimate for me is trailing arm with adjustable airbag so I get the height and soft ride on the road but at the ramp I get it on the bump stops for easy launch and retrieve.

All comes down to how cheap they are and if they can be retrofited to existing trailer designs.

Good to see some Aussie innovation.

Anyone else on here old enough to remember the old transverse beam axel trailers that people tried on trailers in the 70's . Talk about a swaying trailer as they got some wear and deadly with a uneven load in a box trailer as they would steer a old holden with the tail wagging the dog.

hilta1
12-09-2012, 03:54 PM
Hi Cormarant, Unfortunately these are an American Design and build, Rolls Axle if you google you should come up with it, there were some trailers imported to the Sunshine coast not long age that went buy the name Tubeseek, they were a full alloy built by "Rolls" in America, would like to get hold of the spring and axle and get alloy trailer made here in Aus. havent been able to find out what the ride etc is like with these springs but they do have a lifetime guarentee. Regards Mark

Jarrah Jack
12-09-2012, 09:16 PM
Gary, Scott and Cormo, there are answers to your questions but I don't know enough about the product so I don't want to give the wrong answers. I've asked my mate via email to check the thread and I know he could talk your ears off in the local or his factory about it but this computer business may be a challenge.

As I previously said he's been developing the system for a long time and has had all sorts of tests done and has a world wide patent so the problems and possibilities have been thought out.

I'm sure even Einstein would've had his own problems with computers.

here's a link to some info I found on google about it.

http://www.humphreyssuspension.com.au/page1/page1.html

cormorant
19-09-2012, 04:20 PM
Had a closer look at the photos . I quite like it. I can see the benefits. The one thing duratorque style ones have is a rebound where as the weight comes off over a bump the rubber cords act like a shock absorber a bit and stop that rebound motion as weight comes off the wheel. These guys with very fancy spring settings may have partially solved this but a single underspring or graduated rubber stop would stop that rebound affect . Maybe it is already inside the pivot and can't be seen? hell I better get out there and get my patent for possible improvement lodged!!!

I hope some larger companies take up the chance to use it and the bloke does Ok out of it. It is never a easy path to get things out there and in use. If you could get ARK , Trojan or such to take it on as a lic and use their distribution it would be great to see a Aussie idea get up. Any idea of costs ?