PDA

View Full Version : Garmin fuel flow sensors

apachecat
10-09-2012, 06:48 PM
I am looking at buying garmin fuel flow sensors to hook up to my garmin 556 GPS. Can anybody tell me how accurate they are. Or would I be better off buying interface cables to hook up to my suzuki outboards.

WalrusLike
10-09-2012, 07:04 PM
They are quite accurate and can be calibrated even more accurately.

However.... If you have engine data available from the source you would be probably better off just using the engine data because you're going to need a NMEA backbone anyway for the sensor so my recommendation is use the engine data.

I believe some engines have a fuel return system(?) and if yours is one like that, then it gets more complicated and the input side is only half of the equation. So engine data would be the best in that case.

Sorry if I have muddied the waters.... Check your engine manual to see if it outputs NMEA 2000 data... if so, go with that. If your not happy with the result you haven't wasted a cent because you needed the NMEA backbone for the Garmin sensor anyway and you can just then buy the sensor and plug it in.

apachecat
11-09-2012, 10:36 AM
Thanks for the reply mate, I have twin 140 suzukies 2006 models. I believe they are nmea compatable so I will probably go that way.

WalrusLike
11-09-2012, 12:19 PM
You won't know yourself once you get the data.... It's great to see the sometimes surprising economy figures.

You can trim for economy and you can adjust speed for economy. I found out to my surprise that going considerably faster than my previous 'sweet spot' in speed was actually just as good for fuel economy.

Also it's very nice to know nearly exactly how much fuel is left in the tank.

Moonlighter
11-09-2012, 12:34 PM
Definitely go with the engine interfaces. You can get them locally but check the price online from Brownspoint Suzuki in the USA. That's where I got mine, but you never know, prices here might be better now.....

You can get the NMEA 2000 starter kits at BIAS boating. About $60.

You can get Garmin or Lowrance starter kits, doesn't matter as the cables and plugs are all interchangeable. With twins you might need one starter kit plus one or two longer network extension cables.

Cheers

ML

Dan5
11-09-2012, 01:39 PM
I think your engines are not NMEA2k......seems to be engines from 08' onwards were but not before........not a 100% sure but fairly confident.The Garmin fuel flow sensor will still work and as already said you will need to set up a backbone and install the sensor in line somwhere after your filter.

Dan

Moonlighter
11-09-2012, 02:10 PM
He will be fine.

Suzukis from 2006 and onwards are NMEA 2000 capable. I have set up a couple of 2006 models. The only difference will be that there is a special interface adapter cable for the 2006 models because they have a round plug on the engine to connect to instead of a square one. Can get it from Brownspoint or make one up yourself.

Cheers

ML

apachecat
11-09-2012, 05:13 PM
Thanks ML, I have a choice of running the interface cables to a Lowrance LCX 110 that came with the boat, or a Garmin 556 that I recently fitted for a back up GPS.I spoke to someone at work and they informed me you can buy the adapter plugs out of Japan.

Lancair
11-09-2012, 05:43 PM
Having the instant fuel flow and nm/litre function is certainly eye opening re the most economical speeds to travel at. In my case from about 4500-5000 rpm @ 23-28kts and close to 0.9nm/L, is best. More than 5000rpm, up to 5600rpm and the fuel consumption goes from approx 30L/hr to about 45-46L for about 4kts gain in speed. Less than 4000rpm, while the L/hr is lower, the speed is too and economy blows out to 0.5-0.6nm/L. The best range speed in my Etec115 is in gear at idle, using less than 700ml/hr @ just under 3kts, my range to empty is over 400nm with a full tank!!

Enjoy your new gadget when you get it!

Moonlighter
11-09-2012, 06:56 PM
Apachecat

You can easily have both the Lowrance and the garmin on your network, and both can display the engine and fuel data at the same time if that is what you want.

All it means is an extra T piece and a short cable to connect to the network.

Just check that the Lowrance lcx is NMEA 2000 capable, it is a bit old tech and I'm not sure if it can display nmea2000 data. A quick internet search or call to Lowrance customer service should answer that question.

That's the beauty of NMEA 2000, it's easy as pie to add extra things and then share data between them.

You can get the round plugs from Eastern Beaver in Japan, that's where I got my square ones, and make up your own adapter cable. You will need to figure out the pin placement so it works.

Or, You can buy one already made up from Brownspoint.

Cheers

ML