PDA

View Full Version : Side console

Seahorse
10-09-2012, 06:43 AM
I am still pondering about what I will do with my boat. Was thinking converting to centre console and put new yammy 70 on back.

Then thought about selling both boats and buy something bigger.

I aw talking to a guy at the ramp last week about his side console. He loved it. It was seajay 4.6 m .

I asked wether he got wet. He said only if blowing from one direction. I guess that applies to any boat.

I am just tired of tiller steer.

I want option to stand and steer.

Can anyone give me heads up on side consoles.

This is now becoming a mammoth decision but want to explore all options.

Cheers
Greg

Chee

Noelm
10-09-2012, 08:38 AM
never been a fan of side console myself, but that's not to say they are crap, they are just not my "thing" centre console for me if I had to choose.

ozynorts
10-09-2012, 09:26 AM
I have never been in one but my question would be can you stand and steer in one??? The seats and helm's always seem to be quite low?

bluefin59
10-09-2012, 10:01 AM
I stand and steer in heavy chip in the bay and sometimes when off shore and don't find it uncomfortable but then again I am only 165 cm tall.. Matt

davo
10-09-2012, 12:56 PM
Side consoles fine. Just balance out the boat better. I've owned both and the side console means that everyone walks down the centreline of the boat.

I have my batteries for the bowmount offset to compensate. I realise the average tinnie is more prone to leaning into the wind but every boat has a quirks.

Seahorse
10-09-2012, 02:05 PM
If I currently sit to one side on the tiller steer, why would there be any difference with a side console. Wouldn't seats be in about same spot.
I was more worried about how wet u might get and I could imagine the softness of the ride should probably be the same.

Cheers

astro66
10-09-2012, 03:25 PM
I have just converted my 4.5m brooker safari to side console....wish i had done it ages ago...its so much better...easy to stand and steer through the shallows with heaps better visability ...
Pretty cheep to do...500$ for cables/controls/attatchment kit...180$ for the steering...made the console at work 0$ a couple of hours to fit and all ready to go..

Seahorse
10-09-2012, 04:12 PM
Astro,
That sounds good. I got a 455 seajay territory. Wife's cousin is an aluminum boat builder so he will make me a console unit.
How does it go in the choppy stuff? Do u get very wet? What motor u got on the Brooker. I just sick of sitting down all time. What was reason u converted to side console? Can u put a pick of what things look like.

Cheers
Greg

astro66
10-09-2012, 07:09 PM
be home on break on thursday...3 weeks out here and im hangn for a fish...ill throw up a pick when i get home..
Its a 40hp merc....used a tohatsu control box and i think they were yammy cables...very easy to fit..
I made the console bit bigger and higher than normal so you can stand and steer no problems....when you sit you get a bit of cover from it....
Its no different as far as ride besides your not reaching around to steer although it does pop up on the plane a little quicker with the weight of you leaning forward more and the weight of the console...

Seahorse
10-09-2012, 07:48 PM
That's sounds good. I am now seriously thinking of going this way. I will just wait to see if, anyone else has anything to offer.

Cheers
Greg

fishclique
11-09-2012, 06:58 AM
Let me know how it goes seahorse i plan on doing the same with my tinny . I imagine if you get wet when using tiller steer it would be much the same as a side console . Will making the fishing alot easier though.

Si
11-09-2012, 08:21 AM
That's sounds good. I am now seriously thinking of going this way. I will just wait to see if, anyone else has anything to offer.

Cheers
Greg
seajay may be able to do the alterations for you like the 'Tropic' model. although its a bit of a hike to Bundy. Just a thought.

Lightly Toasted
11-09-2012, 03:56 PM
I thought the SeaJay 455 could only take a 50HP?

I have a SJ 4.4 Magnum XPACK and can't wait to get rid of the tiller steer. The 40 Merc tiller is tiny, so I can't stand up and steer making navigating shallow water very hard - Aswell as docking.

I looked at going to SC, but will be going CC for a few reasons (partly so I can have a T-Top for rocket launchers, allowing better storage, etc). The 4.4 is also a very wet boat if there is any chop at all, so much so that I need to buy some goggles to keep my glasses for getting covered in salt all the time. That's even sitting almost in the middle of the thwart, I would not like to know how wet I'd get sitting right at the gunnel.

Another problem with SC that I've found is that you need to offset the weight, so when you move to the side with all the weight the boat leans over really bad. Unless you're really light weight, or don't bother to offset. That could be just a problem unique to me however, maybe I should cut down on the KFC or something.

Just my 2 cents.

Rob.

astro66
11-09-2012, 05:35 PM
Toasted...im 100kgs....boat handles the same with sc as tiller...sit in the same seat...
i do have my livebait tank on the opposite side though to even the weight up...but you should set every boat up to suit the load/handling not just sc...

Lightly Toasted
11-09-2012, 05:48 PM
Toasted...im 100kgs....boat handles the same with sc as tiller...sit in the same seat...
i do have my livebait tank on the opposite side though to even the weight up...but you should set every boat up to suit the load/handling not just sc...

Must just be my boat then. I spent a lot of time figuring the weight distribution out, still leans like crazy. The SJ 4.4 does have a perfectly curved deadrise (as apposed to a sharper V), which probably makes a difference.

I also meant at rest, not travelling. I should clear that up. :P

Seahorse
11-09-2012, 06:14 PM
At rest mine is perfect. As astro said, nothing has really changed with the seating. I should imagine that the current seat pedestal will be in same place for the side consul.
Toasted, u are right about max 50 for the 455, but I have been given a name to have it recertified to take a 70.
I like the idea that astro has done, in making the frame bigger so u can stand and steer.

Lightly Toasted
11-09-2012, 06:30 PM
Damnit, I knew I should of gone with the 455. :(

I'm actually amazed how much the 4.4 rolls. Only way I've been able to fix it is put all my gear on the keel line, which only midly helps.

Didn't mean to jack your thread either. :-X

Seahorse
11-09-2012, 07:00 PM
All good toasted. I am 90 kg and even when there are 2 of us on same side it is perfectly balanced.
Does the 4.4 have the sure trac hull.?

Si
11-09-2012, 07:51 PM
All good toasted. I am 90 kg and even when there are 2 of us on same side it is perfectly balanced.
Does the 4.4 have the sure trac hull.?

no mate, the 4.4 doesnt have the reverse chines

Lightly Toasted
11-09-2012, 08:11 PM
Sadly, as Si said; No. Only the 455 and up do.

I completely forgot about the Sure Trac to be honest. Makes me look like a bit of a dag now. Haha.

Seahorse
11-09-2012, 08:23 PM
No, I just thought that may have been the difference. When they tell u about these reversed chime thing, u think, yeah sure sure, but there must be something to it

Lightly Toasted
11-09-2012, 08:32 PM
I thought the same thing, thinking the dealer was just trying to make some more money out of me.

Had no idea it made such a difference.

Seahorse
12-09-2012, 04:07 AM
I guess there are heaps things we need to know before we buy boats. Thank god for ausfish and it's members.

spelchek
12-09-2012, 10:09 AM
In hindsight I wish I'd gone the 4.55 - but I was gunshy of buying a boat 'too big' for me to easily solo launch after seeing my dads experience with a 4.8 Fisher (great boat - but too big for him to launch solo so it sits around waiting for dad to be able to arrange someone to go fishing with).

4.4 Escape Sports SC here. Great boat - but yes, wet wet wet with wind off a front quarter. I went with the SC over a CC to give a bit more room when solo plus allow relatively comfy seating for 2 for overnighters. I'm 105kg nd yes, gets a lean when solo - nothing scarey tho (running wiht or into sea).

To be honest I am considering some trim tabs for it both to fix the lean and push the nose further down for running into the chop. I find if the wind is comming off my driver side (port in my boat) front quarter (when solo) i'm usually leaning just enough that there is a decent slap of water on the rounded rather than sharp part of the hull causing more spray. Doesn;t worry me during the day, just a pain being really wet when arriving at destination with no sun to dry/warm with. Not to mention the seats suck in water so no matter if you change, you still end up all night with a damp bum.

BTW- my SC is too short to stand at. I'd definately consider a bigger one if I did it again.

Bit of a long winded reply - but in summary I love the SC config. Plenty of fishing room when solo PLUS better seating arrangement for when overnighting somewhere with a mate.

jett75
12-09-2012, 01:26 PM
Had a4.75 trailcraft pro fish came as a sc and didn't like it so we converted it to a cc the pro fish is a fairly beamy boat for its size and we liked it a lot more as a centre console I think up to a certain size side console is good as it gives you good room but once you get the bit bigger and Beamyer boat cc is the go

Seahorse
12-09-2012, 03:58 PM
These are all very good comments. I was thinking firstly of putting in a cc but thought the sc would give more room and the position of seat about same. I like the idea of a higher console. I guess I will start looking at different designs.
Cheers everybody

Greg

astro66
12-09-2012, 04:12 PM
i choose sc over cc because the seat was already in the right place...you walk down the center of the boat....still have plenty of room when using the other seats....easy decision for me...

Seahorse
12-09-2012, 04:48 PM
Astro, have u takenen urs out in fairly choppy conditions? I know u have prob already answered but did the ride seem same as tiller or better and how about the wetness of the ride.

Cheers
Greg

astro66
12-09-2012, 06:01 PM
yeah had it out in choppy conditions it rides about the same but you are facing forward instead of sideways....
the console gives some protection and i will be putting a perspex screen up then it will be pretty dry...

Seahorse
12-09-2012, 06:05 PM
Should put a wrap around screen. Side piece can be hinged and folded back when not needed.
Prob only need side bit to be18" high and just sit on top of gunnel and that would stop splash from side

Seahorse
13-09-2012, 03:42 PM
Does anyone know where I can get side console made. Wife's cousin is a boat builder but just have to work in with him. Just thought maybe someone on northside. Looked on line, can buy for about $300 but don't look that flash

Gon Fishun
13-09-2012, 04:19 PM
Have a chat to the cousin, get him to teach you how to weld ally. Then design and make your own only paying for materials at cost price.;D

astro66
22-09-2012, 07:43 PM
finally home on break....well i come home and was called back the next day :P