PDA

View Full Version : Keep the HH V16c?

my v16c
09-09-2012, 08:41 PM
Greetings guys !
I own a Haines V16c which has been a trusted friend for near on 20 years. I bought it secondhand back 1993 and it has been a great boat, but over time the trailer is in now not in good shape and I don't trust the 90hp 1993 Mercury (still runs fine) as I did, even though I rebuilt the top end 5 years ago.

Here's my dilemma...I just don't have that confidence in the reliability of the motor because of its age, and only its age, and the trailer needs substantial work. BTW the transon seems fine.
In short do I get a new trailer and a new motor? .....we all know that would be somewhere in the vicinity of about $13 - 15k would you say? Am I overcapitalising?

Another side of me tells me I'd rather have a bigger boat (Haines has a beam of only 1.4metres) but the other side of me can't let go.
Your thoughts are appreciated.
Cheers My V16c

Gon Fishun
09-09-2012, 08:55 PM
Your right about the width and there is not a great deal of space to work in. But, I love my HHV16C. It is solid as a rock, has a 115 Evinrude, old carby model which runs like a top. I fish solo quite a lot and the boat is easy to L&R. Realistically 2 up fishing is comfortable, any more its crowded. Have thought about going bigger but would have to be towards 21ft to make it worthwhile. IF that happened my son would take over HH, he loves it to.
Sorry got a bit nostalgic.
I reckon you could put in few $k's a go bigger and find a relative or good close friend to over the Haines.
Sooner or later the big green syringe has to come out. :'(

nigelr
10-09-2012, 06:43 AM
Recently did a similar thing with my old Savage Lancer 5.3. New Tohatsu M90 2stroke, new Marlin trailer. No change from 12K, but love the confidence of a new motor.
So the motor and trailer are both dependable and 'known quantities', and if necessary down the track a ways I can replace the hull and they will still be 'known' rather than unknown quantities, which would not be the case if I were to replace the whole BMT with another 2nd hand rig.

Jarrah Jack
10-09-2012, 08:26 AM
Depends on how much you want to spend and weather you want to do more than the 16c is capable of. If your happy with what you've got then do the upgrade of trailer and motor, the old girls need some love sometimes.

I just upgraded from a 16r and it cost an extra 15k for the changeover, that was with getting 9k for the 16. Worth a study of the secondhand market to help make your mind up. Not easy to get a good bmt package under 20k for that size boat.

Fed
10-09-2012, 09:49 AM
A 1993 Merc is only just run in and probably more reliable than more modern motors.
Once a boat is off a trailer and laying on the lawn substantial trailer work starts looking pretty simple.

caravellerob
10-09-2012, 04:13 PM
you may as well keep it they are a good little boat that handles well (the freeboard is a little low). As has been said before, I reckon you would have to go to at least 19ft to make the changeover worthwhile, you then don't know the history of the boat. I have been trying to sell my 16c for 6 months as I have a bigger boat, I was considering cutting the cab off and making it a centre console. If anyone is interested let me know.