PDA

View Full Version : Brekky Creek question

sharkymark2
08-09-2012, 07:35 PM
Went and had a look at brekky Ck today and the whole area looks very fishy except for one thing. I looked all over the rocks but couldn't see any oysters. If you go to the mouth of the river there are heaps of oysters on rocks but none at the Creek. Anybody know why? To much freshwater? I was talking with the wife about the big freshwater down pours we have had that might kill oysters but there wasn't any dead oysters on the rocks either. So what would bring the fish around to that area? There were a few people fishing with big rods and 1 guy casting a bait net for only 1 small fish and no one else caught anything aound 2-4pm. Looked to be about high tide.

MudRiverDan
09-09-2012, 12:27 PM
I think poor water quality affects the propagation rate.

The area is full of bait fish and prawns at the right times, decent feed for fish.

Fishing there you have to be stealthy, and the fish have to be present, they do not stay around all the time. ;)

Dan

sharkymark2
09-09-2012, 05:21 PM
Thanks Dan. I was wondering if there any baith fish there at all if no oysters at anytime. I guess baitfish do wander.

marto78
09-09-2012, 06:32 PM
Breakfast Ck turns into Enoggere Ck at Kelvin Grove Rd (or there abouts) and is 100% fresh water at this point which may explain the lack of oysters. I remember as a kid that it used to hold a bit of bait including mullet and the biggest prawns I have ever seen caught off the Downey St foot bridge on rod and reel.

peterbo3
09-09-2012, 09:10 PM
You might consider fishing a rising tide near any of the big street lights at night. Bugs are attracted to the lights, some fall into the water, fish are smarter than you think.

Some good jew come out of the creek.

BLOOEY
09-09-2012, 09:51 PM
Marto, i spent quite a bit of time as a kid fishing off that bridge and everywhere in between. Used to catch craploads of catties and bream with the odd big flatty thrown in. Ben

Feral
10-09-2012, 06:37 AM
Breakfast Ck turns into Enoggere Ck at Kelvin Grove Rd (or there abouts) and is 100% fresh water at this point which may explain the lack of oysters. I remember as a kid that it used to hold a bit of bait including mullet and the biggest prawns I have ever seen caught off the Downey St foot bridge on rod and reel.
There is actually a little Weir there at Bankcroft park.
I have seen flatties and bream caught at Downey park off the foot bridges there.

MudRiverDan
10-09-2012, 11:02 AM
Thanks Dan. I was wondering if there any baith fish there at all if no oysters at anytime. I guess baitfish do wander.

About 12 months ago there was some Chinese student catching good jewies and threadfin over 90cm (two or three a night) on cheapo hard body lures.

I wandered down one night at about 1 am and it was dead low tide, I managed a 65cm Jewie and got some bust offs.

I suggest you try something like that as low tide near the bridge at night time can yield some surprises.

Only problem is that fishing at 1 am for a doughnut can be disheartening so it is easy to give up chasing them in the night hours at low.

Dan

Soliak
10-09-2012, 12:39 PM
Hey Mark I was down there early on Sat from 10am-1pm near Newstead house. There is that little jetty that tour boats pull up on where we fish. I managed to get two decent sized Tailor there but nothing big. Around 12.30 one of the guys there (probs the young dude you saw with the cast net) got on to something serious on his big rod. It was screaming off line and as soon as he gave it some cheek it snapped him clean on decent gear - seemed like a big Jewy to me. All along the river from Newstead house to New Farm park is decent fishing on the right tides. I prefer it at night on the hours leading up to high. Check the fish report section - got a stonker Bream on Saturday night just up from there.