PDA

View Full Version : Happy As

tenzing
07-09-2012, 08:38 PM
Looks like there are a few guys with new toys on Here!

Me too.

After years of fluffing around I finally took the plunge and repowered the victory,
Picked it up this arvo from Keith at Jeffers, and have done the first few hours of the run in already. ( there was a reason the scarby carpark was empty!)

Smooth and Quiet. Cant wait to do a little more before opening her up to see whats on the top end re prop selection.

The dash is starting to look like the console of the enterprise. Might need some solar panels to take care of the power consumption!

Flushing her in the drive was a real treat ( for the neighbours)

Looks like a weekend of driving ahead . Have her booked in for 20 hr service in a week before heading back to 1770.
Happy Days

Brendan

PS Thanks Heaps to the many many of you who have generously answered my loads of questions . Much appreciated.

Moonlighter
07-09-2012, 08:55 PM
Well done! Gee they are a nice bit of kit those big Zukes. And the networked GMI10s ....... Wow! Wish they were a free upgrade when I got my 115!

More computing power on your dash than Neil Armstrong had on his (RIP Neil).

Cheers

ML

tenzing
07-09-2012, 09:05 PM
Well done! Gee they are a nice bit of kit those big Zukes. And the networked GMI10s ....... Wow! Wish they were a free upgrade when I got my 115!

More computing power on your dash than Neil Armstrong had on his (RIP Neil).

Cheers

ML
Yeah dont really know where to look first!
Shame that they had to take the worlds dearest stubby holder off the back of the bait board to tilt the thing up!
Cheers
Brendan

WalrusLike
07-09-2012, 09:06 PM
Looks good.... all those horses quietly giving their all.... Should be a great motor.

Your dash is a ripper.... just don't forget to look up from it every now and then, so you see us less-endowed chaps dawdling up the channel in front of you. :)

Have fun with it.

Swanie1975
07-09-2012, 09:26 PM
looks brilliant!. i remember those run-in hours - so hard to resist giving it a squirt but you do need to vary the revs anyway. the gauges are an eye opener to fuel usage and best rev ranges for cruising. being able to flush without running is another great thing for the neighbours but they are quiet even when you run them for flushing.

is that a grab rail right around below the screen lip? looks like a very nice rig

cheers ryan

outta line
07-09-2012, 11:12 PM
looks the goods mate...two thumbs up from me too....you will love it ... what hole did they mount the 175 to the transom through ?
i just raised my motor one hole but cav plate is still just under the water on the plane so i may need to go up one more.
enjoy.....mick

barra71
07-09-2012, 11:17 PM
wow that is a real nice setup you have there Tenzing, good on ya mate Enjoy

tenzing
07-09-2012, 11:32 PM
looks brilliant!. i remember those run-in hours - so hard to resist giving it a squirt but you do need to vary the revs anyway. the gauges are an eye opener to fuel usage and best rev ranges for cruising. being able to flush without running is another great thing for the neighbours but they are quiet even when you run them for flushing.

is that a grab rail right around below the screen lip? looks like a very nice rig

cheers ryan

Yes Ryan ,
The often grabbed "Jesus" bar. couldnt do without it really

tenzing
07-09-2012, 11:37 PM
looks the goods mate...two thumbs up from me too....you will love it ... what hole did they mount the 175 to the transom through ?
i just raised my motor one hole but cav plate is still just under the water on the plane so i may need to go up one more.
enjoy.....mick
Mick,
It is on the second hole from top, so there are three more it could go up by.
Cheers
Brendan

outta line
08-09-2012, 06:27 AM
Mick,
It is on the second hole from top, so there are three more it could go up by.
Cheers
Brendan

cheers mate....
it will be a better balanced boat with the df175 instead of the heaver df200 like my victroy hanging off the transom.
i went up one from the middle hole so only have one more hole i can go up by....the boat is more responsive in turns and i picked up another 200rpm at WOT ... think ill have to go up another hole and see how it goes ....trial and error the only way to find out i guess.....think the prop will vent in turns too much tho on the bottom hole

cheers mick

Tim Hutchison
08-09-2012, 06:29 AM
Well done Brendan looks great but do I put my beer now

FisHard
08-09-2012, 07:48 AM
Victory with a 175 Suzi: DREAM RIG :)

tenzing
08-09-2012, 08:00 AM
Well done Brendan looks great but do I put my beer now

Out on the bay now Tim, wilbur is being run in nazi and I am looking for places to put worlds dearest holder.
How's the ping pong?
Brendan

Tim Hutchison
08-09-2012, 08:23 AM
I think I could live here, haven't seen any ping pong games yet still waiting

tenzing
08-09-2012, 08:45 AM
I have noticed that when the motor feels nicely trimmed I am in about middle of gauge . Previous motor was middle of lower half. Does this sound right?
Brendan

Smithy
08-09-2012, 09:24 AM
No brand allegiances there with that dash!

Swanie1975
08-09-2012, 09:33 AM
sounds about right to me. mines only a 140 but when trimmed just nice its just over halfway up - anymore and i start to porpoise (unless i have someone up in the bow seats). before i lifted the motor one hole when my 4 blade prop went on it didnt even trim to halfway.

how many hours run-in now?

cheers ryan

DAZMC1
08-09-2012, 09:45 AM
Yes mine sits around half way or a little bit over half and I use the tabs for the rest. What prop did you get? I currently run a suzuki 16x20 prop and I find it better than the 15x21 because it has a lot less slippage.

deckie
08-09-2012, 10:09 AM
Sweet looking donk, congrats.
Looks like you're well in the race for toys too...nice dash layout.

Moonlighter
08-09-2012, 12:07 PM
Regarding the NMEA 2000 interface and fuel use, you may need to do a little bit of calibrating to get it accurate, but once you have done that, they are brilliant. Sometimes they are 100 straight out of the box, though.

Just compare fuel used as shown on the Garmins with how much it actually takes to fill up, and don't forget to do the "refuel process" and reset the tanks to full every time you fill up.

Did they walk you through that stuff?

I just filled up my boat. System said that I had used 63.89 litres. I got 63.65 to go into the tank. Can't get much more accurate than that! It is consistently less than 1 litre difference.

Cheers

ML

Fillet`n`Release
08-09-2012, 12:23 PM
I got my 115 Suzy 4 late last year from Keith at Jeffers. The motor is SO much better than I imagined, and the service is fantastic. Couldn't be happier and glad you've had a similar experience.

tenzing
08-09-2012, 04:11 PM
Still on the water..
8 hours down.
Got out at lunch and filled up.
90l for 150k.
Gauge showed 85odd litres.
Happy with consumption, how do I calibrate though?

FisHard
08-09-2012, 04:24 PM
That's a bees dick off 1l per nm. You gotta be happy with that from a brand new motor!

tenzing
08-09-2012, 04:51 PM
Back on land. 9.2 hrs done!
260km today. 155l at the pump.
Actual usage about 5-10% above gauge which isn't a problem , and the fuel usage is terrific,considering there were a few hours in the chop under 3000 and 4000.
Beer time!

Moonlighter
08-09-2012, 07:27 PM
Still on the water..
8 hours down.
Got out at lunch and filled up.
90l for 150k.
Gauge showed 85odd litres.
Happy with consumption, how do I calibrate though?

You will have to read the Garmin manual!

I have my networks connected to 2x Lowrance HDS 5s.

In the HDS, there is a fuel menu and options to refuel.

I select refuel and then if I fill up to full, I highlight "set to full" and hit enter, it then asks if I want to calibrate. If i select calibrate, it then pops up a window where I input the actual fuel added, and hit enter. Its then done.

I imagine the Garmins would be something similar. But look up your menu! It won't be hard once you figure it out. But one word of caution : only recalibrate 2 or 3 times. Do it too many times and it can upset things!

The one thing they'll have in common is that you have to tell the system you have filled up or added fuel to do a partial fill. That way it can calculate fuel remaining for you.

Cheers

ML

tenzing
09-09-2012, 05:50 PM
You will have to read the Garmin manual!

I have my networks connected to 2x Lowrance HDS 5s.

In the HDS, there is a fuel menu and options to refuel.
I select refuel and then if I fill up to full, I highlight "set to full" and hit enter, it then asks if I want to calibrate. If i select calibrate, it then pops up a window where I input the actual fuel added, and hit enter. Its then done.

I imagine the Garmins would be something similar. But look up your menu! It won't be hard once you figure it out. But one word of caution : only recalibrate 2 or 3 times. Do it too many times and it can upset things!

The one thing they'll have in common is that you have to tell the system you have filled up or added fuel to do a partial fill. That way it can calculate fuel remaining for you.

Cheers

ML

Thanks ML
Just back from another day on the water!
2/3 of the way to that first service now.

Thanks for the advice about fuel calibration.
Again at the pump the actual fuel used was close to 10% above what was indicated on the gauge. Still doing 0.6 litres to the km average
I used to calibrate the navman fuel sensor when I first got it . It seems as thought I got the ONLY one ever made that worked , and it kept going through 2 boats and 7 years!
( I think I also have one of the last surviving navman 5505 - still working - sometimes- 7 years on too . It is a back up only BTW)

I went through the menu , and also the written guide ( although it is called a quickstart instructions) - no mention that I could find of fuel calibration.
Mind you I might have had a boy look- have been abit tired and salty last couple of days - weather hasnt really played along that much.

Anyone else know how to calibrate these?

Cheers
Brendan

Swanie1975
09-09-2012, 06:04 PM
ive never calibrated my garmins and never had an issue. i have done the lowrance sounder 2x tho. i think cause the garmins feed direct from the motor its not an issue. i didnt find anything in the manual about it either. i could be wrong - wouldnt be the 1st time.

glad youre enjoying the new donk - i got used to mine real quick and laughed today when i could smell that old 2 stroke fume from another boat and hear his motor over top of mine when idling out from the ramp lol.

cheers ryan

tenzing
09-09-2012, 06:15 PM
ive never calibrated my garmins and never had an issue. i have done the lowrance sounder 2x tho. i think cause the garmins feed direct from the motor its not an issue. i didnt find anything in the manual about it either. i could be wrong - wouldnt be the 1st time.

glad youre enjoying the new donk - i got used to mine real quick and laughed today when i could smell that old 2 stroke fume from another boat and hear his motor over top of mine when idling out from the ramp lol.

cheers ryan
Know what you mean!

There was a real blue smoke model at the ramp and I had a little smile on my face.
Also when I did my usual run past Moreton today, normally 110l fuel and 2+ litres oil.
Today under 70l fuel. No OIL!

Saves about $ 100.
So a couple of hundred more trips and she's free!

Cheers
Brendan

Tim Hutchison
09-09-2012, 06:44 PM
70l that sounds good any fishing getting done

Moonlighter
09-09-2012, 07:52 PM
Tenzing,

There should be a fuel page that you can select and open. Once there, Hit the menu button and then you should be able to figure it out from there.

Swanie- both the Garmins and the Lowrances are "fed" direct from the engine. Heres a quick guide as to how it works:

In both cases, the Suzuki engine is connected to the NMEA 2000 network thru an interface cable and that's how the engine and fuel use data gets onto the network. One the data is available on the network, any NMEA 2000 capable unit such as the Lowrance,garmin etc that is also connected to the network can access and display that info, and can also calibrate the system to make it more accurate.

When setting up, you need to input the boats fuel tank capacity so that the garmin etc can then calculate the fuel remaining constantly as the engine uses fuel.

It's pretty neat stuff and once you get it calibrated it is very very accurate.

Cheers

ML

tenzing
09-09-2012, 08:36 PM
Tenzing,

There should be a fuel page that you can select and open. Once there, Hit the menu button and then you should be able to figure it out from there.

Swanie- both the Garmins and the Lowrances are "fed" direct from the engine. Heres a quick guide as to how it works:

In both cases, the Suzuki engine is connected to the NMEA 2000 network thru an interface cable and that's how the engine and fuel use data gets onto the network. One the data is available on the network, any NMEA 2000 capable unit such as the Lowrance,garmin etc that is also connected to the network can access and display that info, and can also calibrate the system to make it more accurate.

When setting up, you need to input the boats fuel tank capacity so that the garmin etc can then calculate the fuel remaining constantly as the engine uses fuel.

It's pretty neat stuff and once you get it calibrated it is very very accurate.

Cheers

ML
Have had a look at that already, didnt jump out at me.
I have sent an email to garmin to ask them for some specifics.
Cheers
Brendan

tenzing
09-09-2012, 08:40 PM
70l that sounds good any fishing getting done

Got a quick flick in today north of Moreton,
fifty scorpion cod and a couple of jellybeans on slugs.
Crap drive both ways, used i pad for GPS all weekend ( got cover)
Getting any work done?
Brendan