PDA

View Full Version : Marine life , and plastics damage

dnej
07-09-2012, 07:01 PM
http://www.abc.net.au/catalyst/stories/3583576.htm

The above link is to a story , that was on Catalyst last evening. What an eye opener, and one that every person should view. Pretty scarey stuff.
Also, can someone explain, where the soft plastics we use, fit into the scheme of things . Are we adding to the problems?
David

cuzzamundi
07-09-2012, 07:36 PM
Great segment. Alarming to see the stomach contents of those birds. I don't know definitively if soft plastics contribute to this, but I'm guessing so. Can't see how they wouldn't.

Cuzza

Crunchy
07-09-2012, 08:01 PM
I've gutted fish and found old plastics in there like many others I guess

dnej
08-09-2012, 08:47 AM
Hey Crunchy, would that then mean that the fish could be already contaminated in some form?
David

Lucky_Phill
08-09-2012, 09:24 AM
Don't want to start something, but there are " SP's " made from bio-degradable materials,,, just a tad more fish friendly, for the C & R guys as well.

LP

dnej
08-09-2012, 09:38 AM
Thanks LP. I am not a SP man, but in that some are and some are not bio degradable, then one would expect that the "not bio degradable" be taken from the market place, or at least as caring folk, we refuse to use them.
I for one, didnt realise the damage that the plastic products were, or rather are, doing. Plastic bags , yep, knew about that , but the rest, no.
David

NAGG
08-09-2012, 09:54 AM
The reality is that most plastics are not biodegradable - they photodegrade - and all that means is that it breaks down into smaller pieces & that can take a hell of a long time. That's why you should never throw plastic out ( fishing line etc)
As for soft plastics - with the exception of the non petrochemical based ones like gulp ....... they wont break down either.
I wouldn't be surprised that at some stage these petrochemical based softplastics ( along with lead sinkers) become outlawed !

Chris

BillyM
08-09-2012, 01:15 PM
I watched this episode and being a avid soft plastic user became a little alarmed that, even though I try to do the right thing to protect the marine environment i might actually be doing it harm. Does anyone have further information of brands of biodegradable s.p's? Should the companies producing the non biodegradable ones be made to change there ways? I guess it comes down me as a customer to do what I think is right in the end. Great thread!!

dnej
08-09-2012, 10:08 PM
Crunchy has confirmrd that the problem exists, and looking at the documentary, that particular fish could be part of the chain.
The fact that the plastics photodegrade, was also shown on the programme.
I heard somwhere that polar bears when born, dont know whether be male or female.This apparently has something to do with plastic as well.
Must see if I can find anything on that. I am pleased that some Aus fishers, have taken note. Not hard to look at the label
David

Crunchy
09-09-2012, 07:44 AM
Hey Crunchy, would that then mean that the fish could be already contaminated in some form?
David
I can recall at least two and maybe three times when we've opened up fish and found old SP's in the gut....I don't think it "contaminates" the fish but it cannot be helpful to have an old bit of plastic in the gut. The fish we found these in we're in good condition....but still.

I watched this episode and being a avid soft plastic user became a little alarmed that, even though I try to do the right thing to protect the marine environment i might actually be doing it harm. Does anyone have further information of brands of biodegradable s.p's? Should the companies producing the non biodegradable ones be made to change there ways? I guess it comes down me as a customer to do what I think is right in the end. Great thread!!

I got into SP fishing about 7 years ago, there used to be a brand called "foodsource" which claimed to be the only 100% biodegradable lure. Not sure if they are still around and never tried them for effectivness. Many brands claim biodegradability but it's a matter of degree, we're there tests done in a lab beaker of solvent or a fishes gut?

The reality is that most plastics are not biodegradable - they photodegrade - and all that means is that it breaks down into smaller pieces & that can take a hell of a long time. That's why you should never throw plastic out ( fishing line etc)
As for soft plastics - with the exception of the non petrochemical based ones like gulp ....... they wont break down either.
I wouldn't be surprised that at some stage these petrochemical based softplastics ( along with lead sinkers) become outlawed !

Chris

Without doubt the SP's we found were gulps, they were broken up a bit but hard as rocks.
About 3 or 4 years ago there was indeed talk of banning SP's for this very reason ( I think this push was in NZ where SP fishing took off early in the piece because their main target fish over there is snapper)

Crunchy has confirmrd that the problem exists, and looking at the documentary, that particular fish could be part of the chain.
The fact that the plastics photodegrade, was also shown on the programme.
I heard somwhere that polar bears when born, dont know whether be male or female.This apparently has something to do with plastic as well.
Must see if I can find anything on that. I am pleased that some Aus fishers, have taken note. Not hard to look at the label
David

Can't trust the label I don't reckon, there have been a few studies (surveys) done I recall and there is indeed a problem. It might be written up in one of my old SP mags, will have a look.

I never throw used SP's into the water as they are a hazard to any fish that swallows them.

dnej
09-09-2012, 10:29 AM
they photodegrade

In our oceans,the hugh acreage of floating rubbish,that travels on the currents is being broken down by photodegrade, to the point that it is now floating just under the water, in millions of pieces. I wonder just what happens after that process.
David