PDA

View Full Version : Towing in fifth

The-easyrider
06-09-2012, 05:24 PM
This has likely been done but I have not been able to find it. This could also be in the wrong catagory if so may I be dipped in honey and licked clean by the Dallas cheer leaders. In a couple of weeks I will be towing to airlie beach and have been told not to tow in fifth. The vehicle is a 4.2td gu and the boat is in the avata. Now I tow in 5th around here but these are only short and on pretty flat roads. I figure that if the road is flat and I can hold 5th without labouring the motor all's good or is just a no no. Has anybody trashed a gearbox towing in 5th.
Cheers
Aaron

Birdy
06-09-2012, 05:44 PM
Aaron,

Drag it around in 5 th mate . Make sure the gearbox and rear diff have good oil and get into it .The Nissan 4.2 td has more then enough touque and the driveline is built well enough to handle it.
I have dragged boats big and small around for countless k's with my old 4.2l 1994 model cruiser with no issues .
Keep an eye on hills tho and keep the revs at the top of the touque curve for the speed your doing and you should right, they work harder and you will find out about any engine cooling issues you have but if it's running at normal temp at 100 in top gear keep doing it .
The smaller 3.0 ltrs that generate more power per/cc than the old 4.2s may be a different matter but ive only ever owned 4.2 l so can't say bout them.

Birdy

nigelr
06-09-2012, 07:00 PM
The issue with the 'cruisers was lubrication to the 5th gear, if I remember rightly.
The Patrol gearbox may be a different design........

Feral
07-09-2012, 06:08 AM
Certainly good advice for cars where top gear is mostly an overdrive or cruising gear.
Not only do you put less stress on the gearbox, but you usually get better mileage.
Older 4wd's would tow a tank bacwards all day without straining the drive train or motor, Wouldn't have a clue about modern 4wd's, they are all hairdresser rigs these days, your average soccer mum probably tests them to their limits ;)

Midnight
07-09-2012, 07:37 AM
5th is a no no in Cruisers and Hilux's, it is the week link there, better off sticking to 4th.

I don't know about the Patrol, ring a good transmission workshop nearby, they will tell you how often 5th fails from towing in a Patrol. But definitely Operate the engine as Birdy says. You will end up with very high EGT temps if you leave it in 5Th and try to let the turbo push it up the hill. You are much better off coming back to 4th, the revs will go up and the boost will come down, lower the EGT and increasing your engine and turbo life.

Cheers,
Myles

kizza1
07-09-2012, 08:31 AM
the reason is because generally 4th is 1:1 ratio, so ultimately it is the strongest gear.

stevej
07-09-2012, 02:34 PM
fuel economy can sometimes be better with more revs then more load

in the bt50 auto it certainly is the case when towing my 1.2 tonne load

mal555
07-09-2012, 02:59 PM
Towing a maximum load for the patrol 3250 - 3500kg's (not sure where your Whittley will be with a full load of cruising gear aboard, I know the 700 is 3500kg all up) imo should be done on 4th gear.

Even if it just takes the doubt out of wondering whether you are damaging the gearbox, it's not worth the risk as transmission repairs are costly let alone inconvenient, especially during your holiday.

TREVELLY
07-09-2012, 03:02 PM
I had a 1992 4.2 patrol till recently and used 4th for towing.

I bought new in 2004 a GU patrol and still use it.

So the 4.2 Nissan Patrol has been my main vehicle for 20 years.

Using the current 4.2 GU I have towed pretty long distances with it too (boat in my avatar) - Sydney, Rocky, 1770 and so on.

I have to admit I find 4th gear and 105kph best for my liking for torque, fuel and it just goes and sounds best on the motor.

Before a bigger trip recommend you change your fuel and air filters.

The-easyrider
07-09-2012, 04:28 PM
Thanks for all the input guys mine a 2004 gu and has 3inch exhaust and the fuel pump tuned. This weekend it will get oils and filters done

TREVELLY
07-09-2012, 09:05 PM
Thanks for all the input guys mine a 2004 gu and has 3inch exhaust and the fuel pump tuned. This weekend it will get oils and filters done

Yeah I did the exhaust too and reckon it gives it somewhere between 5-10% better power and certainly is great for acceleration.

I had it for about 5 years before replacing the pipe and before it just felt like the thing was being strangled - plain stupidity by Nissan putting a small exhaust onto a larger manifold at motor.

The-easyrider
07-09-2012, 09:52 PM
[QUOTE=TREVELLY;1418365]Yeah I did the exhaust too and reckon it gives it somewhere between 5-10% better power and certainly is great for acceleration.

I had it for about 5 years before replacing the pipe and before it just felt like the thing was being strangled - plain stupidity by Nissan putting a small exhaust onto a larger manifold at motor.[/]

I could not wait that long the first time I towed the camper over the dag range I decided that to hell with waiting another two and a half years for the warranty to run out. Got back from camping and rang Tiapan exhaust and had it done that week could not believe the difference it made. ##

Chimo
08-09-2012, 06:34 AM
Hi Trev et al

Did / do you have an oil cooler on your Patrols too?
When I fitted the tubo to my 4.2 I was advised to also fit an oil cooler (and a timer ) and my turbo kit came with a new exhaust as part of the kit. I still use 5th with my 4.2 GQ on the flat with the Vag when conditions suit but often they dont so 4th seems the go.

Cheers
Chimo

PS Hope the little tacker is doing well, all the best from us.

sempre
08-09-2012, 06:49 AM
I wouldn't recommend towing in fifth , I have destroyed fifth gear in my Patrol a couple of years ago , and it was the 4.2 turbo wagon .

TREVELLY
11-09-2012, 05:10 AM
Hi Trev et al

Did / do you have an oil cooler on your Patrols too?
When I fitted the tubo to my 4.2 I was advised to also fit an oil cooler (and a timer ) and my turbo kit came with a new exhaust as part of the kit. I still use 5th with my 4.2 GQ on the flat with the Vag when conditions suit but often they dont so 4th seems the go.

Cheers
Chimo

PS Hope the little tacker is doing well, all the best from us.

Hi Chimo,

My 4.2 has standard factory turbo and no I haven't fitted anything extra to motor for this. The earlier 91 model i had was a 4.2 diesel I did not turbo but current one is turbo standard - no problems.

Little chappie is battling - he had a shocker last thursday requiring a rush into emergency then stabilised then a second emergency with allergic reaction to treatment. I have just returned from 4 days/nights in hospital with him - his mum is with him now - I am tired. Thanks for best wishes - he is a trooper - God bless him.