PDA

View Full Version : F70 Yamaha fitted

barra71
06-09-2012, 01:55 PM
Hi guys just got my boat back from Brisbane yamaha, with the new F70 fitted to my old glassy, the guys did a nice and tidy setup..

some pic,s

frankgrimes
06-09-2012, 02:27 PM
Very nice! Needed a Foil? Taken it for a run yet?

Mick

barra71
06-09-2012, 02:39 PM
Yamaha put the foil on. i had it from my old motor and said if you need it use it if not dont worry....
will be out tomorrow running it in.

Seahorse
06-09-2012, 02:40 PM
Looks great. I am still tossing up whether to do same. I rang those blokes but bloke I spoke to didn't seem that interested when I said I had a trade and asked what sort of money he would give.
He said I don't know till I see it. I said mate its a motor, 2 yrs old with approx 50 hrs on it.
What else is there to know. What's he going to do when he sees it, " oh it's a motor"

I said it looked like new.
He said bring it up. Nah , I got lot more sence Olof stones orner marine.

I think these blokes don't really want to talk to u until u are just about to sign the dotted line.

Well they have to realize that u have to start somewhere and that every inquiry is a potential customer. I have been in direct face to face sales now for 20 yrs and that's the way I think.

I also think they should come to u and look at ur Bo or motor if u are trading.

I remember few months ago I rang crawfords to inquire about selling my boat. He asked me to bring it in and I said for him to come out and look. He asked w here I live and I said woody point. The sales bloke told me it was to far. Wynnum rd to woody pt over the gateway, 20 mins. Obviously he didn't get the boat and I would never ring hem again.

Service has gone out the back door now.

frankgrimes
06-09-2012, 02:47 PM
Yamaha put the foil on. i had it from my old motor and said if you need it use it if not dont worry....
will be out tomorrow running it in.

Personally, I would have tried it without the foil...played with motor height+different props first...then add the foil (if needed)

what was your old motor? how did it perform?

barra71
06-09-2012, 03:01 PM
Personally, I would have tried it without the foil...played with motor height+different props first...then add the foil (if needed)

what was your old motor? how did it perform?
Yamaha took the boat out and did all the test on it with prop and motor hight and so on, i told them only fit it if needed. I will find out more tomorrow when i have the boat in the water but have to run it in first, so may be a few days till i know if the foil realy did need to be there or not.

old motor was a early 80s evinrude 70hp and was on its last legs, pot no.3 had lost 25psi. but it did still run sort of okish, always had to floor it to get the ass of the boat up and out of the water, so maybe the foil will be ok time will tell...

barra71
06-09-2012, 03:06 PM
Looks great. I am still tossing up whether to do same. I rang those blokes but bloke I spoke to didn't seem that interested when I said I had a trade and asked what sort of money he would give.
He said I don't know till I see it. I said mate its a motor, 2 yrs old with approx 50 hrs on it.
What else is there to know. What's he going to do when he sees it, " oh it's a motor"

I said it looked like new.
He said bring it up. Nah , I got lot more sence Olof stones orner marine.

I think these blokes don't really want to talk to u until u are just about to sign the dotted line.

Well they have to realize that u have to start somewhere and that every inquiry is a potential customer. I have been in direct face to face sales now for 20 yrs and that's the way I think.

I also think they should come to u and look at ur Bo or motor if u are trading.

I remember few months ago I rang crawfords to inquire about selling my boat. He asked me to bring it in and I said for him to come out and look. He asked w here I live and I said woody point. The sales bloke told me it was to far. Wynnum rd to woody pt over the gateway, 20 mins. Obviously he didn't get the boat and I would never ring hem again.

Service has gone out the back door now.
i know what you mean seahors, the good old days have gone... but i guess it is the way it is done now and what can you do. i can understand the guys wanting to look at a motor and check it out as anyone would, i guess they have been caught out before too...

Seahorse
06-09-2012, 04:00 PM
Barra, I know the old days are gone. Anyway more importantly, let us know how the we motor runs. I know our boats are different, mine a tinnie and urs glass but I needed a permatrim on my 50 yammy. Just dug in at low speeds. The permatrim kept nose own. I think I need to drop a hole as it forms a bit of an ir pocket now under the foil on choppy days. I bet u can't wait to get I out there and give it a run. Good luck

Cheers
Greg

Snap Dog
06-09-2012, 04:06 PM
Well done. I just purchased a new250 yamaha from brisbane yamaha. Justin is a great man to deal with. They were also $4000.00 cheaper than any dealer on the sunshinecoast. I recomend brisbane to anyone looking to buy a new motor.

WalrusLike
06-09-2012, 04:54 PM
$4,000 cheaper? Jeez how can they do that? Are the others just overpriced until you beat them down??

I can understand 4k below retail but not 4k below opposition???

Tangles
06-09-2012, 05:25 PM
Looks good Barra.

what pitch prop did you go with Barra?

Seahorse
06-09-2012, 05:49 PM
That's a good question tangles

barra71
06-09-2012, 07:57 PM
Looks good Barra.

what pitch prop did you go with Barra?

13 1/2x 15k is what yamahah set it up with

barra71
06-09-2012, 08:02 PM
$4,000 cheaper? Jeez how can they do that? Are the others just overpriced until you beat them down??

I can understand 4k below retail but not 4k below opposition???

Justin is the owner and all his stoke is NOT floor plan. he orders large amounts of stoke at a time and buys it cheaper that way he can bring down the price..
my moter was 1 of 30 something F70s that he got in at the cheaper rate for buying large orders...

barra71
06-09-2012, 08:06 PM
Barra, I know the old days are gone. Anyway more importantly, let us know how the we motor runs. I know our boats are different, mine a tinnie and urs glass but I needed a permatrim on my 50 yammy. Just dug in at low speeds. The permatrim kept nose own. I think I need to drop a hole as it forms a bit of an ir pocket now under the foil on choppy days. I bet u can't wait to get I out there and give it a run. Good luck

Cheers
Greg

Cant wait at all Greg... will be on the water tomorrow to run in the new donk..
wife said how boring,,, i said hell no i love it....

barra71
06-09-2012, 08:07 PM
Well done. I just purchased a new250 yamaha from brisbane yamaha. Justin is a great man to deal with. They were also $4000.00 cheaper than any dealer on the sunshinecoast. I recomend brisbane to anyone looking to buy a new motor.

i am with you on this one Snap Dog great guys to deal with and did a great tidy job...

Seahorse
06-09-2012, 08:16 PM
They gave me a price of 9650 and stones corner marine gave me price of 9800. that's for a tiller steer. I think I can negotiate with stones corner, but if u think they are great to deal with then maybe I should talk to this bloke u dealt with Barra.

barra71
06-09-2012, 08:33 PM
They gave me a price of 9650 and stones corner marine gave me price of 9800. that's for a tiller steer. I think I can negotiate with stones corner, but if u think they are great to deal with then maybe I should talk to this bloke u dealt with Barra.

can only try old mate. i delt with Peter. the owner is Justin...

what size motor was that SeaHorse, mine cost me $10 000 fitted. with all gauges and controls and water filter

wayno60
06-09-2012, 08:38 PM
im gettin a ard on.... cant wait two weeks time ill get mine...

Tangles
06-09-2012, 08:44 PM
will be keen to hear how it goes with the 15" mate, im going between the 15 and the 14" but i may have a heavier tub

ps you will love the fuel economy!!!

cheers
mike

barra71
06-09-2012, 08:51 PM
will be keen to hear how it goes with the 15" mate, im going between the 15 and the 14" but i may have a heavier tub

ps you will love the fuel economy!!!

cheers
mike
Hi Mike,
will have it in the water tomorrow to start to run it in, so will know more after the first few hrs.
They set it up with the 15 and said it was good so will find out..
My old tub is only a 4.6 halfcab so it should fly along with it on there..

deckie
06-09-2012, 11:34 PM
Looks great barra. Bigger beast than old 2 strokes arrnt they. What was your hull rated to ?
So they tested, decided on the 17x15 ?? prop, and then thought it would benefit from the foil as well.
Will likely be ordering one of these tomorrow or Monday, though i'll need to pay maybe $1000-1500 more which is the normal slug here...heard rumours my local is about to lose his yam dealership.

Hope it goes just how u wanted...let us know if u think it seems noticeably heavy compared to the old donk...got a feeling i'll be putting a permatrim on this one after water testing.
Have fun.

barra71
07-09-2012, 07:22 AM
Looks great barra. Bigger beast than old 2 strokes arrnt they. What was your hull rated to ?
So they tested, decided on the 17x15 ?? prop, and then thought it would benefit from the foil as well.
Will likely be ordering one of these tomorrow or Monday, though i'll need to pay maybe $1000-1500 more which is the normal slug here...heard rumours my local is about to lose his yam dealership.

Hope it goes just how u wanted...let us know if u think it seems noticeably heavy compared to the old donk...got a feeling i'll be putting a permatrim on this one after water testing.
Have fun.
Hi deckie,
my hull is rated for 70hp, they put the 13 1/2 x 15 on it and the foil. The old 2banger was a little lighter than this new one but only by about 10-15 kg and always had to floor it to get her ass up out of the water, so with the new one will see how it all goes. Have to run in the new donk so will know more on its performance once the run in is done, but i think i will notice a big difference from the old one....
I hope your local dealer can do you a good deal on one mate.... will let you all know how it goes after run in is done..

Shawn 66
07-09-2012, 10:15 AM
can only try old mate. i delt with Peter. the owner is Justin...

what size motor was that SeaHorse, mine cost me $10 000 fitted. with all gauges and controls and water filter
G'Day Barra ,
The owner of Brisbane Yamaha is Aarron Goodchild .
Not trying to be a smarta@@e mate , just saying .
Shawn

thelump
07-09-2012, 12:37 PM
Nice looking motor mate. Did you get the option of a stainless prop? And did you get the fuel management gauges with it? Fit up looks OK but the thing that stands out is the Split black Corro. I thought they all would use something like this for the control cables to enter the motor?.83948

One things for sure the fuel savings will be great. Enjoy

barra71
07-09-2012, 03:09 PM
G'Day Barra ,
The owner of Brisbane Yamaha is Aarron Goodchild .
Not trying to be a smarta@@e mate , just saying .
Shawn

thanks for that, sorry my bad on that one...

barra71
07-09-2012, 03:11 PM
Nice looking motor mate. Did you get the option of a stainless prop? And did you get the fuel management gauges with it? Fit up looks OK but the thing that stands out is the Split black Corro. I thought they all would use something like this for the control cables to enter the motor?.83948

One things for sure the fuel savings will be great. Enjoy

only got the std prop with it mate and the two std gauges with it. The Split black Corro is what they fitted it with..

Shawn 66
07-09-2012, 03:11 PM
thanks for that, sorry my bad on that one...
No prob mate.
Shawn

barra71
07-09-2012, 03:31 PM
well took it out on the water and did some of the run in 3.5 hrs worth. and i think the permatrim had helped it a bit as well, lifts the ass end up alot better, well for my boat i think it has helped.
with the prop..13 1/2 x 15 it has tons of grunt.... not to sure on what top end will be like didnt get it anywhere near it yet. still have a few hrs more that i want to run it in for before hitting it to much. toped it to 4500rpm on the tacho and will work on more when i have a few more hrs on the clock. from take off to 4500rpm it gets up real fast tons of grunt and better than i had anticipated.
3.5 hrs of running around most of that was under 2000rpm and used next to no fuel so i am very happy with that all up did 40+ks and maybe 10-15lts at the most will now for sure when i fill the tank.. @ 4500rpm it is doing about 40ks on the water..
love the new motor and so quite it is almost like is it running lol..
there is a smal vibration at 700rpm in gear. spoke to bloke at the ramp that just got one fitted as well and he said the same thing about the vibration as well, but then again it is at low idle in gear too.
over all i am very happy with the F70..

thelump
07-09-2012, 05:06 PM
Unreal Barra. Your fuel will only get better as it loosens up. The guy that installed my F115 said around 60 - 80 hrs and I would notice a difference. Didn't really believe him but since march I have put 75 hrs on it and the difference is very noticeable. Getting pretty consistent economy now and goes like a dream. Mine too had a vibration as yours does and at the 20hr service they adjusted the idle a touch and it is pretty good now.

barra71
07-09-2012, 05:25 PM
Unreal Barra. Your fuel will only get better as it loosens up. The guy that installed my F115 said around 60 - 80 hrs and I would notice a difference. Didn't really believe him but since march I have put 75 hrs on it and the difference is very noticeable. Getting pretty consistent economy now and goes like a dream. Mine too had a vibration as yours does and at the 20hr service they adjusted the idle a touch and it is pretty good now.

thanks Lump for the info about the idle being adjusted i will get them to look at it. i would say mine will be about the same as yours with the 60-80 hr mark.
mine has its first service at 10 hrs i will have 10hrs up by the end of next week as i am off to summerset dam for a few days so it will get a good run out there..

Tangles
07-09-2012, 05:26 PM
you will find Barra it makes fuel:D

I am getting around 3 klms to the litre with it,,, but at WOT it makes a lot of noise

wayno60
07-09-2012, 07:55 PM
Tang, which motor do you have.

Barra, Now you have inspired me....

Tangles
07-09-2012, 08:00 PM
have the F70A on a Cruisecraft 485 Explorer,

Seahorse
07-09-2012, 08:53 PM
I hope to put one on my 455 territory

barra71
07-09-2012, 10:51 PM
I hope to put one on my 455 territory

SeaHorse if you want to see what it is like on the boat let me know, will take you for a run so you know what it is like before you buy at least it will give you an idea on what it is like..
at this stage next weekend would be good for me.. just pm me if you want to try before you buy lol.

Seahorse
08-09-2012, 07:07 AM
Thanks Barra. Where do u normally leave from

barra71
08-09-2012, 08:55 AM
i normally leave from bribie island

deckie
08-09-2012, 10:14 AM
Sounds like it goes nice barra. Might tell my bloke to do similar and have a permatrim ready...water test, props/height then whack the permatrim on if needed. The last donk on this rig benefitted from a foil so cant see being any different if mounted right. Couldnt be buggered stuff arsing about afterwards.
Tx for the feedback...this motor must be selling a million around the worrld right now. Nothing comes close in this range.

barra71
08-09-2012, 01:27 PM
deckie this motor goes as hard as a 2stroke on take off and there is juat as much power in the midrange as well, i have only had it to 4500rpm and i know when you are at 4000rpm had hit to 4500rpm it just wants to take off.. cant wait to see what it is like from 4500rpm to 6300rpm range.
As for the permatrim i think if you had to have one before you might need it again, i know it has helped my boat as i have the 60lt fuel tank, esky and gear at the back of the boat so that is like someone sitting at the back of your boat while you are taking off...

Seahorse
08-09-2012, 06:47 PM
Hey Barra,
Do u ever get out during the week? I will come over to bribie, no worries

Cheers
Greg

barra71
08-09-2012, 08:14 PM
Hey Barra,
Do u ever get out during the week? I will come over to bribie, no worries

Cheers
Greg
hey SeaHorse i do get out during the week at times so i will let you know when i am going out next or free time to do so..
i will be away for a few days camping/fishing then will be laid up for a few days so at this stage it would be more around the 18th - 19th some where about then..

scoota
08-09-2012, 11:09 PM
Good choice on motor for that rig Barra and you got it $500.00 cheaper than I did 2 years ago....
Have 210 hours on mine now and top speed is now 32 knots at 6000rpm [2 knots faster than new] and economy is around 3km/litre virtually at any speed.
Flew out last trip due to good conditions sitting on 5200rpm at 28 knots and cruised home at 4200 rpm at 20 knots for 57 miles using 32 litres.
I have a Seafarer V-sea 4.74m

Happy Days...

Scoota...

Tangles
09-09-2012, 07:22 AM
scoota which prop are you running mate?

barra71
09-09-2012, 07:27 AM
Thanks scoota for the info mate i think mine would be no diff to yours with fuel once it is all run and a few hrs on the clock.
i will love the saving on fuel after the old 2banger use to drink it like soft drink...

scoota
09-09-2012, 06:46 PM
Running the 13 1/2 x 15-K standard prop Mike.. no foil and happy with that! Good trim and no porposing.
Hole height was critical and would like another half hole higher to be perfect..

Might see you on the water around Bribie and catch up one day Barra...

Scoota...

deckie
11-09-2012, 02:45 AM
Guys, which fuel/water separator did they fit when installed ? Some sort of yamaha 10 micron or a racor or something else ?

deckie
12-09-2012, 05:20 AM
Never mind about the filter, ended up ordering one of these donks yesterday with the small flush mount throttle rather than control box. $105 for a clear bowl Racor sounded pretty good, betcha they're about $80 for every cartridge replaced tho...damn things are a serial ripoff and was kinda hoping to get away from them.
Told to still avoid ethanol like the plague. Some things never change.

wayno60
13-09-2012, 09:39 AM
well im all booked in for the 10th Oct.....which i dont mind as i still have a bit of work to do on the tub, finish the floor, some leccy work, mount bilge pump, if time allows might get the upholstery redone.

deckie
13-09-2012, 11:12 AM
Yeah Wayno the race is on to finish this tub too...just under 2 weeks to tidy it up.
Doing second batt mounts and i'm high as a kite from some probond bog.

You spin me right round baby right round....wooooohoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooo

Seahorse
13-09-2012, 12:36 PM
Deckie.
What u putting the 70 on

deckie
13-09-2012, 09:54 PM
seahorse...a revamped 80's vickers cuddy 4.8m, originally rated to 90hp.

barra71
14-09-2012, 01:24 PM
Hi guys just got back from camping/fishing trip, wow what a motor goes like a bat out of hell.... top speed is 60ks @ 6200rpm in my boat, i am happy with that... i have a 60lt fuel tank and got some 140ks out of it and still have fuel left in the tank, may only be some 10-15 lts left there but i am happy with that as well. As would have never got any where close to that with the 2banger.
i found that the motor tucks way back in so you do need to trim it a little but other than that all good. Got almost 12 hrs on it now and still love it.. hit the key first thing in the morning and it is ready to go after i let it warm up first..
If weather is all good will be out this week in the bay for its first real trip, so looking forward to that,,,

barra71
14-09-2012, 01:26 PM
Running the 13 1/2 x 15-K standard prop Mike.. no foil and happy with that! Good trim and no porposing.
Hole height was critical and would like another half hole higher to be perfect..

Might see you on the water around Bribie and catch up one day Barra...

Scoota...
Hi Scoota will have to catch up one day mate till then have a great one mate and enjoy..

deckie
29-09-2012, 07:18 AM
Like the way they look too.
Very happy with the way this one went on. Still havent seen it running yet, and its going back next week waiting long weekend for different prop after water test spinning 5700 with standard prop but he wants 6000-6100 apparently.
Photo looks kind of wierd proportions to boat with camera angle but good view of the donk. Will hopefully turn the key on a quiet day late next week.

barra71
29-09-2012, 11:09 AM
Good onya deckie you will love it mate.. the 6000-6200 you will up in the right rev range, i sit mine on about 5200-5500 when cruising and it is doing 50 odd ks.
Great on fuel as well you will notice it that is for sure, i went out the other weekand did some 82ks and used 35lts but that was in the swell for most of the trip os was just taken it easy around the 25ks mark so used a little more fuel with that.

Mine is almost ready to go back in for its first service 18hrs on the clock now..

when you first put it in the water you will hear the tell tail over the motor when at the ramp, just so strange to hear it if you know what i mean. Even when it is in its rev range you can still talk to your mate and hear each other without haven to shout..
I found the foil / fin on the back helped to get my boat up and out of the water faster and better, but i do have a 60lt fuel tank at the back as well, would love to put it under the floor but no room there i think... floor solid so i am not going to cut it to see if it will fit..

barra71
29-09-2012, 11:13 AM
sorry for any spelling mistakes just had a opp on my shoulder and can only use one hand..

deckie
05-10-2012, 07:18 PM
Hey Barra..re tested with a few props and the 13 1/2 X 15-K came out best now revving 6100...same as scoota's.
Finally turned the key on it today and cant even figure out these silly multifunction gauges which have only been around for about 200 years already...but hey noone said i was smart. Between those and the stupid sounder and gps and other crap i've got instruction books up the wazoo and just about over it already after 2 hrs. Might just keep the warranty book and turf the rest ;D.
Great donk tho...this motor is the first chance a lot of older hulls have had to be reborn with a 4 stks as the weight as come down. Slid the thing off the trailer and had a glance and not an ounce of arse heaviness about it, plus surprising holeshot compared to the old 2 stk. Looks like wont need a permatrim coz it bounces up nicely and planed nice at low speed with nose up a bit. Massive great rooster tail from the trannie but holding bottom at 25 knts so will just put a shroud over it. This thing only carrying 50l fuel at the back plus a spare 25l taken out for trolling days and a 12l reserve kept up front. Batteries were moved fwd which seems to have helped performance slightly but will do some donuts and give it some sea next trip out and check how the weight distribution goes when its not so friendly.
Nice donks these. Wayno is putting one on next week by the sounds.

barra71
05-10-2012, 09:19 PM
Hey Barra..re tested with a few props and the 13 1/2 X 15-K came out best now revving 6100...same as scoota's.
Finally turned the key on it today and cant even figure out these silly multifunction gauges which have only been around for about 200 years already...but hey noone said i was smart. Between those and the stupid sounder and gps and other crap i've got instruction books up the wazoo and just about over it already after 2 hrs. Might just keep the warranty book and turf the rest ;D.
Great donk tho...this motor is the first chance a lot of older hulls have had to be reborn with a 4 stks as the weight as come down. Slid the thing off the trailer and had a glance and not an ounce of arse heaviness about it, plus surprising holeshot compared to the old 2 stk. Looks like wont need a permatrim coz it bounces up nicely and planed nice at low speed with nose up a bit. Massive great rooster tail from the trannie but holding bottom at 25 knts so will just put a shroud over it. This thing only carrying 50l fuel at the back plus a spare 25l taken out for trolling days and a 12l reserve kept up front. Batteries were moved fwd which seems to have helped performance slightly but will do some donuts and give it some sea next trip out and check how the weight distribution goes when its not so friendly.
Soungs great Deckie, you will be like what the f with the fuel i did a run the other week 85ks in a good swell, that was from bribie to Smiths rock and back, so up and down on the revs a fair bit and only used 35lts and i only have a 60 lt tank. so i think you will only need your 50lt tank mate. On a good day you should get about 130-150 ks on that tank maybe more as my boat is not as light as a tinny.. Did you notice that when you are at the ramp that you can hear the tal tail hitting the water over the motor. They are just such a great motor i love it....

Wayno when you take your boat in to get the motor fitted let me know i will drop on down to Brisbane yamaha and catch up with ya on the day mate.

wayno60
05-10-2012, 11:26 PM
yes mate at this stage everything is set to go thursday next week. Im coming up from the goldie so they are going to do it in one day for me. cant friggan wait.

Just on the props, both your boats, im thinking will be heavier than my tinnie so proped right i should get to the 6300 pretty easy ???

thelump
06-10-2012, 06:14 AM

Hey deckie did you get the fuel management gauge as well? They are a great bit of kit.

barra71
06-10-2012, 08:13 AM
yes mate at this stage everything is set to go thursday next week. Im coming up from the goldie so they are going to do it in one day for me. cant friggan wait.

Just on the props, both your boats, im thinking will be heavier than my tinnie so proped right i should get to the 6300 pretty easy ???
Hi Wayne, i think you will hit that 6200-6300 mark mate, mine gets to 6100 and sometimes 6200 if i the trim is spot on has to be glassed out for that but. at 6100 i am doing about 59-60ks.. ok so your up here on the 10th, i will catch up with ya mate....

deckie
06-10-2012, 11:18 AM
Soungs great Deckie, you will be like what the f with the fuel i did a run the other week 85ks in a good swell, that was from bribie to Smiths rock and back, so up and down on the revs a fair bit and only used 35lts and i only have a 60 lt tank. so i think you will only need your 50lt tank mate. On a good day you should get about 130-150 ks on that tank maybe more as my boat is not as light as a tinny.. Did you notice that when you are at the ramp that you can hear the tal tail hitting the water over the motor.They are just such a great motor i love it....

Wayno when you take your boat in to get the motor fitted let me know i will drop on down to Brisbane yamaha and catch up with ya on the day mate.
Yeah damn quiet. Kind of used to 4 stks these days but yeah this one is about as quiet as they get. Yepp tell tale was about all i could hear till i got near it.
50L was normally enough for a days fishin when this rig had a 2stk, but carried and sometimes needed the 87L if planning a morning dragging plastic on the wide blue yonder in Summer. Sounds like they chew next to nothing on the troll so might even be able to just carry the 12L reserve and save the weight and space.

deckie
06-10-2012, 11:33 AM
Hey deckie did you get the fuel management gauge as well? They are a great bit of kit.
To be honest i have no idea.
Probably the standard gauges they come with...has 2 round gauges, one says SPEED the other TACHO, each has two buttons set and mode but no bloody idea what each can do or how to work them yet.
The Speed one has some sort of fuel level thingy on it down the right hand side, but no sender so it isnt hooked up. No idea what it can do...i ended up just ignoring the gauges after a few minutes other than the tacho and speed, coz i was pressing the buttons and couldnt even work out how to change from mph to kph etc.
had a quick look at the book but got the ump and pulled into Cottage Pt for a quiet beer, 2 hrs later headed back to the ramp. I hate manuals but i probably should look at them ...too many damn instructions and gizmo's at once.
I'm the type that never quite conquered even the TV/VCR button on the old tv's :-[

Will likely hook up the NMEA2000 thingy at the 20Hr service and run a Yam interface and Lowrance fuel flow gizmo to it...at least thats what installer said might be a good option to consider. Is that the same thing you're talking about ?

thelump
08-10-2012, 09:51 AM
Sort of but not quite. Yamaha do a fuel management gauge as well that tells you Litres per hr you are using and total fuel used. Also tells KM per litre but is not that accurate as the speedos work of a pressure hole in the leg of the motor. This can change a fair bit depending how much current you are going into or with.
The LPH and total used is very accurate as this runs off the engine management computer.
If you put an NMEA backbone in it should not need a fuel flow meter as such but if your sounder/plotter is not NMEA compatible then you will need the Lowrance Gauge to run it all.
Did they not offer the better gauge setup when you were purchasing the motor?

deckie
08-10-2012, 07:18 PM
James, its a separate gauge ? Nahhh dont have it. I know the guy pretty well and had a good run over one of their work boats that had recently been fitted out with one, had a demo and he even explained gauges and fuel management. He was very thorough and explained all the different things he could do with it like something called "command link" gauges etc but to be honest the fuel management wasnt in the least bit important to me. Being above deck cruisetanks that are easily accessed i;ve never seen a need for fuel gauges on this rig, and whenever i;ve had them they;ve never been much chop or trustworthy anyway. He went into the NMEA stuff asked about what sounder i was going to put on etc, told i can even have the engine gauges showing on the sounder if wanted but really couldnt see point in that either. He said he could always put anything else on at the 20hr service anyway if i changed my mind and got talking about more important stuff (to me) i was interested in such as mounting, propping, trim, holeshot etc. If had subfloor tank i;d be more interested in fuel management coz its all far better than the old sender to needle gauge stuff from the past, BUT i;d still just check the tanks on this rig anyway and not that interested nor curious about actual numbers and prefer LESS rather than more gizmo;s to look at whilst out there. More information that doesnt help is just stuff to go wrong one day...but thats just me.
So yeah, all those type of options were hinted at/discussed but we both werent that interested in fuel management. He was very thorough so yes he offered all the things available and explained...the gauges that come with it are damn thorough anyway and cant see much need for anything else...especially with sounder ready set for NMEA 2000 that can be put on anytime if i want.
After one quick trip out i still cant see any actual need for it either...maybe for curiosity sakes but not for safety.
Steve.

thelump
08-10-2012, 07:54 PM
Yeah fair enough Steve horses for courses. I have an underfloor tank and do some bigger distances so it suits me and now I've had it I wouldn't be without it. Great safety feature for my purpose. That was if you were talking to me as I don't know who James is::);D

Tangles
08-10-2012, 08:37 PM
Interesting figures you fellas are getting with the 15" on that motor, with that with a couple of eskies and gear i get about 5800rpm. I put the 14" prop on and a lot more punch etc and 6200 but lost a lot of top end and the cruising revs are a bit high for my liking. Back to a 15" for the bay and might look to a solas 15" with more cup.

thinking about hooking up the NMEA fuel dada to the Garmin, happy days

cheers
Mike

deckie
08-10-2012, 08:38 PM
Yeah fair enough Steve horses for courses. I have an underfloor tank and do some bigger distances so it suits me and now I've had it I wouldn't be without it. Great safety feature for my purpose. That was if you were talking to me as I don't know who James is::);D
lol, sorry Jason.
Damnit, maybe i should add dyslexia to the list ;D

Yeah if was a subfloor tank it would've been something to do...but even then i've never trusted any type of fuel gauge so i;d probably still shove a dipstick in it 8-).

barra71
08-10-2012, 10:40 PM
Interesting figures you fellas are getting with the 15" on that motor, with that with a couple of eskies and gear i get about 5800rpm. I put the 14" prop on and a lot more punch etc and 6200 but lost a lot of top end and the cruising revs are a bit high for my liking. Back to a 15" for the bay and might look to a solas 15" with more cup.

thinking about hooking up the NMEA fuel dada to the Garmin, happy days

cheers
Mike

Hi Mike,
i have the 15" prop on mine and i get the 6100-6200 mark with a full load of fuel 60L and eskys and gear and that was with 3 of us in the boat as well. that is with the motor trimed i do have the foil on mine as well..

wayno60
12-10-2012, 06:50 PM
Hey Chris,
Thanks for today mate and you were right the boat was ready when we got back...they had 4 to test this arvo so i was asked if i wanted to take mine down the river and that way i could get away quicker, which i did.
Now the important bit....straight out of the box............ 6200/6300...who's a happy camper????

barra71
12-10-2012, 08:10 PM
Hey Chris,
Thanks for today mate and you were right the boat was ready when we got back...they had 4 to test this arvo so i was asked if i wanted to take mine down the river and that way i could get away quicker, which i did.
Now the important bit....straight out of the box............ 6200/6300...who's a happy camper????
lol i knew that would happen be ready for ya.. so hat did you think on the water test? and 6200-6300 that is great mate, i think you will love it...
It was great to catch up with ya today... oh and thanks for your help with the fance as well Wayne..

wayno60
12-10-2012, 10:09 PM
mate no probs..they put the 13.5 screw on it so i guess with no weight in it at all there would be something wrong if it didnt hit the redline.

thanks again

w

deckie
14-10-2012, 09:24 AM
heyyyyyyy...nice donk that Wayno ;D
Sounds and looks like a perfect fit. Sweet rig.

barra71
14-10-2012, 06:24 PM
dam that looks nice. now all you have to do catch them fish old mate to pay for it..

wayno60
14-10-2012, 07:37 PM
Thanks guys, ive been told thats fathers day and Bdays for the next few years... to which i said ,,, fair enough i can live with that.

deckie
10-02-2013, 09:03 AM
Guys...here's a question for you.
Flushing...how are you doing it ? Bit of confusion here and cant seem to find a straight answer anywhere.

Now been told twice by the Yam dealer that only need to use the flushing connection. i.e. undo from motor, connect up hose using their little adaptor thing, turn hose on for maybe 10 mins. No engine running of course.
But i ran into a bloke with a newish F60 who was running muffs and he reckoned need to do both...i.e. 10 mins on the flushing hose thingy then on the muffs and run motor on idle for 5 mins old school style. he said something like "one does powerhead and one does the cooling system" and make sure you do both. ::)

So my Q...what are u doing ? Looked up the manual and it refers to BOTH:hammer:Refers to both but doesnt really say one way or the other whether or not to actually do both each trip. Surely they wouldnt just add on another flushing port and double the work if the old way is still needed.

maybe someone like Gary the Spaniard King might know or any other mechanically minded blokes...coz the only definite answer i get is from the Yam guys who say u only need to bother using the hose inlet thingy halfway up the motor on the side.

Any feedback appreciated...just wouldnt mind being sure. Maybe the new 70 is different in this way from the 60 which is an older design.
Steve

lucee81
10-02-2013, 09:32 AM
Flushing...how are you doing it ? Bit of confusion here and cant seem to find a straight answer anywhere.

Now been told twice by the Yam dealer that only need to use the flushing connection. i.e. undo from motor, connect up hose using their little adaptor thing, turn hose on for maybe 10 mins. No engine running of course.
But i ran into a bloke with a newish F60 who was running muffs and he reckoned need to do both...i.e. 10 mins on the flushing hose thingy then on the muffs and run motor on idle for 5 mins old school style. he said something like "one does powerhead and one does the cooling system" and make sure you do both. ::)

So my Q...what are u doing ? Looked up the manual and it refers to BOTH:hammer:Refers to both but doesnt really say one way or the other whether or not to actually do both each trip. Surely they wouldnt just add on another flushing port and double the work if the old way is still needed.

maybe someone like Gary the Spaniard King might know or any other mechanically minded blokes...coz the only definite answer i get is from the Yam guys who say u only need to bother using the hose inlet thingy halfway up the motor on the side.

Any feedback appreciated...just wouldnt mind being sure. Maybe the new 70 is different in this way from the 60 which is an older design.
Steve

I got a 2004 90 2 stroke and it has the little adaptor thing but I also flush with muffs. Not epicene of mind and not that hard if you out the muffs on while emptying boat and change to adaptor thingy while cleaning eskies, fishing gear slap some soap and water on the bait trailer all done.

Spaniard_King
10-02-2013, 10:08 AM
Thermostat needs heat to open if it is closed you only clean some of the water galleries.... sure you can work it out from there.

LittleSkipper
10-02-2013, 02:27 PM

Steve

Deckie!

Remember the old "Keep It Simple Stupid or KISS Rule"? Use a plastic tank to flush your outboard, works everytime! all the time.

Good for your engine block and your lower unit where the impeller pump is.

Keeps the exhaust noise down too!

Oh Yeah! I've been told using the hose connection only that hangs down from the top of the outboard is only to be used when the engine is NOT RUNNING cause you'll melt your impeller in seconds if you use it running.

deckie
10-02-2013, 04:24 PM
tx for getting back fellas.
Sounds to me like you blokes all think it should be flushed with the muffs as well as the connector thingy.

This is kinda shitting me off because i remember one thing all the Yam dealers harped on about was this exact thing...no need to flush the way we used to for this model. Just connect a hose and turn it on without the motor. In fact i remember that apart from the weight improvements this issue was right up there near the top of the list as a selling points they were plugging.

Garry i think i understand what you're alluding to and tx for that. You feel like moving to Sydney and setting up a Yam shop by any chance ;D?

The manual actually says to take the prop off as well to flush using the muffs ..wtf ! BUT you ask the author' dealers and they claim its not necessary to do any of it other than the side inlet.

Much appreciated guys...think i'll fire off an email to Yam to try and clarify it one way or the other. Sensational donk these...but i wish they;d be consistent about general maintenance or at least tell the sales guys to stop the bullshit flowing at boat shows and the like.

wayno60
10-02-2013, 04:53 PM
I always flush earmuff style.........A mate has a 115 opti and then have the same top end rinse system. an outboard mech told him to do it properly and muff it.

deckie
10-02-2013, 05:16 PM
Cheers. hearing that from someone with the exact same motor is convincing.
Tx very much mate.

edit...whilst you;re hereaboust Wayno...have u read the bit in the manual about taking the prop off when flushing with muffs ? Seems a bit bizarro. Do you actually do that or am i missing something obvious ?

wayno60
10-02-2013, 05:25 PM
nar i dont go to that extream..... but i do slot it into Fwd and Rev for 30 sec while she purring away.

lucee81
10-02-2013, 05:30 PM
Deckie!

Remember the old "Keep It Simple Stupid or KISS Rule"? Use a plastic tank to flush your outboard, works everytime! all the time.

Good for your engine block and your lower unit where the impeller pump is.

Keeps the exhaust noise down too!

Oh Yeah! I've been told using the hose connection only that hangs down from the top of the outboard is only to be used when the engine is NOT RUNNING cause you'll melt your impeller in seconds if you use it running.

does this not put the salt water back into the tank from the telltail?

oldjoe
11-02-2013, 09:36 AM
Looks great mate, I'm jealous and would love a new F70...but the old yammie 70 2 stroke is still going strong after 14 years, so I'll just have to wait :)

Shawn 66
11-02-2013, 09:48 AM
nar i dont go to that extream..... but i do slot it into Fwd and Rev for 30 sec while she purring away.
Wayno ,
I was told not to do this on my 40 4 Sroke . Something about not having any load / resistance on the prop .
Shawn

thelump
11-02-2013, 02:12 PM
Deckie I have the 115 version of that motor and my dealer couldnt give me a good reason not to flush with muffs so I do both as well. On the muffs when getting the gear out of the boat just incase the hose stops or falls off or something. Dont want that happening while you are inside. And then put the adaptor flush on when putting stuff away inside or shed.

deckie
11-02-2013, 02:21 PM
cheers joe...you;ve already got a ripper motor by the sounds. Those are one of the best motors ever...never heard anything but "bulletproof" and thats all we can ask for. Besides...it still doesnt really feel like fishing with this thing...pulling the throttle back when i get to my spots and no wiff of smoke and nowhere near enough noise. Takes a bit of getting used to...all of about 10 seconds i reckon 8-).
I think it was Robert Duval in Apocalypse now that said "i love the smell of 2 stoke in the morning...smells like...FISHIN !!"

deckie
11-02-2013, 02:25 PM
Deckie I have the 115 version of that motor and my dealer couldnt give me a good reason not to flush with muffs so I do both as well. On the muffs when getting the gear out of the boat just incase the hose stops or falls off or something. Dont want that happening while you are inside. And then put the adaptor flush on when putting stuff away inside or shed.
Thats exactly what i think i;ll be doing Jason from here on. If i still need to flush with the muffs though i may not even bother with the flushing port thingy at all. Thanx for that...reassurance. Was kind of hoping i would finally be free of ear muffs but certainly doesnt sound like it if i want to do it properly.

marlin01
11-02-2013, 06:38 PM
I am wondering if anyone else out there is having trouble with their F70. I had a 2003 F60 which was a great motor and went well on my Haines 445F especially with the stainless prop from Solas.
After 8yrs I wanted to update and the F70 seemed the perfect motor with more power for very little extra weight. Got a good price for my 60 and a good price on the 70 so it was done. I must point out the dealer I choose was in Sydney a coupl of hours down the track but the price was nearly 2K lower and I figured that like the F60 I would have no trouble with the 70.

The F70 was a little slower than the 60 and had a lot slower holeshot. I blamed the alloy prop and contacted Solas quickly to secure their recommended prop.
Stainless prop fitted and little change. Five props later I'm still a little disappointed with the 70. Top speed is the same as the 60 and holeshot is adequate at around the same as the 60 also but I would have expected improved performance. Talked to the dealer who fitted the motor they said they would only do the same as me, change props so no real gain there. Talked to Yamaha Australia and their rep said I shouldn't expect better performance from a higher rated motor. I didn't really understand that particular comment.
Solas have been very helpful.
Guess I'm asking if anyone has fitted a F70 to a heavy glass boat (my Haines is around 1200kgs when full of petrol) with any joy.
Cheers Marlin01

wayno60
11-02-2013, 08:24 PM
Mate, Barra71 would be the one to talk to as he's in the same boat, so to speak, glass boat.
so what do you your speedo set on MPH, KPH or Knots...

Tangles
11-02-2013, 09:31 PM
Marlin, i have a Cruisecraft Explorer 485 with the 70 on it, would be close to your weight in a fibreglass hull loaded up.

Have recently gone down to the 14" prop Yamaha did with their published test, it goes alright but the cruising revs are I feel too high but it has a far better holeshot than the 15", carries the weight a lot better but have lost quite 5-6 kphs of top end.

15" prop far better cruising revs, better top end but average holeshot with 2 people, 2 eskies and 8 pots etc. I was thinking about the new Solas 15" as they say it will have the holeshot of the 14 and cruise like the 15" but im hanging back a bit on that decision.

15" Yam prop 4500 revs was 36 kphs topped out at 56 kph (fully loaded) but would just get to 5800 revs
14" Yam prop 5000 is 36kph and 50-51kph (fully loaded) gets to around 6100 revs ( 6300 max)
(It originally came with the 17" but that was soon sent back as hopeless holeshot and would only get to 5400 revs)

One thing i will say the fuel economy is astounding, but i think they are tricky to setup on a heavier boat.

mike

deckie
12-02-2013, 03:36 AM
I am wondering if anyone else out there is having trouble with their F70. I had a 2003 F60 which was a great motor and went well on my Haines 445F especially with the stainless prop from Solas.
After 8yrs I wanted to update and the F70 seemed the perfect motor with more power for very little extra weight. Got a good price for my 60 and a good price on the 70 so it was done. I must point out the dealer I choose was in Sydney a coupl of hours down the track but the price was nearly 2K lower and I figured that like the F60 I would have no trouble with the 70.

The F70 was a little slower than the 60 and had a lot slower holeshot. I blamed the alloy prop and contacted Solas quickly to secure their recommended prop.
Stainless prop fitted and little change. Five props later I'm still a little disappointed with the 70. Top speed is the same as the 60 and holeshot is adequate at around the same as the 60 also but I would have expected improved performance. Talked to the dealer who fitted the motor they said they would only do the same as me, change props so no real gain there. Talked to Yamaha Australia and their rep said I shouldn't expect better performance from a higher rated motor. I didn't really understand that particular comment.
Solas have been very helpful.
Guess I'm asking if anyone has fitted a F70 to a heavy glass boat (my Haines is around 1200kgs when full of petrol) with any joy.
Cheers Marlin01
I've got to ask marlin..coz i'm having serious troubles adding up what you;ve said.
You had a 2003 60 4 stk...more transom weight but maybe a little less torque than say a 60 2 stk would have...then you've gone to a more modern 70 4stk thats the same weight as the 60 but with more grunt...and you say you;ve gone backwards in power and holeshot running the same boat with same weight ?

Ok i;ve got to ask ...1 2 0 0 kilograms ??????????????

I cant begin to imagine what u are carrying onboard along with 2 of your 150kg mates. If i were you i;d whip out to the driveway and hop onboard and search for one of those double door kelvinator fridges that someone may have left onboard. I'll guess you;ll be carrying maybe 100-120ltr fuel around the console ?, 2 batts and a livey tank plus mates and i;m still struggling to figure out where the 1200kg comes from.
Hull weight 350kg ish ???, Motor 120kg, Fuel and livey tank full 150kg, 2 batts 40-50kg, 2 mates + you 350kg max ? I'm still short by at least 200kg assuming pretty well overloaded already on a rig that normally sits pretty low and can be susceptible to transom weight...where's the fuel, livey tank and battery/s currently ?..at the back ? fwd ? How do you get on walking down the back to pick up a rod ?

These boats have a decent deadrise and need some power to get them out of the water....even a 60hp might be fractionally UNDERpowered even with a normal load, but then you say you were happy with how the 60 went pushing 1200kg ?. The new F70 is surely like a dream for a 445f...finally a 4stk with enough power to make it get around in open water without you taking too much water over the transom coz they sit pretty low in the water and susceptible to transom weight. The carby 70 2 stk Yam has been and still is a great fit for those hulls and plenty even go 90 hp on them...thats withut the 1200kg as well. Been guys happy to blow the hull ratings totally and fit 100+hp also in 2stks.

Do you know what yr the hull is ?...early 80's they changed from 55hp to a rating in KW meaning around 70-75hp i think not sure. So first things first ...are you absolutely sure about this 1200kg weight ?...thats on the water yeah ?..so your 445f has a tow weight of around 1.3-1.4 tons assuming taking off 2or3 big guys then adding a dual axle trailer with brakes for the 445 ?

As a comparison i;m running a 4.75m glass hull with 70l fuel all up, 50 ltr livey tank, 2 big arse agm batts, 2 onboard, with gear and the F70 gets me 60+kph at WOT and effortless holeshot (no foil/permatrim) on about 16-17deg deadrise...i think yours is maybe 19-20deg deadrise ?? Mine took only one prop swap after initial water test (utilising stnd yam props) to achieve around 6100rpm at WOT...and the thing sips at the fuel.

If u luv the hull have you thought about doing a transom mod to increase its height, rerate it then whacking on maybe a XLS 90 2stk Yam ?..same weight but far more torque i would've thought. Fuel you carry probably only 10-20% more coz surely the 60 u had before must have been doing serious work getting up and along in open water.

I'm not surprised u arnt totally chuffed with a 70hp...what i'm struggling to figure out though is how come you were happy with the performance of a 60hp 4stk pushing 1200kg.

Sorry for sounding a bit cynical Marlin..just trying to picture your rig in my head. Even the formula 15 which as far as i'm aware is basically a flop of your hull..they scoot with these motors. The 60hp u had i reckon was about minimum for happy performance WITHOUT the weight you've got onbaord...to be honest i reckon best leave andre the giant at home, lose the refrigerator, aim to carry less fuel as weight comes off, then check performance again before spending more $ experimenting.
Sorry again for the dumb attitude..just a bit blown away with the weight on a 445. Maybe you do commercial work i dunno.
Steve.

marlin01
12-02-2013, 01:36 PM
Steve,
The formula 15 was 1030kgs and my hull has far more glass in it. I have had the boat and trailer on a local weigh bridge with a total of 1435 kgs with the F60 on it so you can sound as cynical as you want it is still around 1200kgs loaded.
That was with no floor covering and an empty fuel tank (90lts) so I know that the hull weight alone is over 1100 kgs then add fuel and a second battery Evakool full of ice , couple of 100 kg blokes.
I have had the hull myself for 28 yrs for the simple reason it has a great shape and is very heavy hence it's ride for its length is way better than any other boat under 5 m I have been in.
Performance is not terrible just no better than the F60 which surprised me with how well it actually went,27knts wot and enough punch to tow two big guys on a large ski biscuit out of the hole very quickly. My point is I expected significant improvement with a 16% increase in motor output.
I have previously had a 60hp Johnson 2st (original motor) 90 hp Mariner (too heavy but 44knts) 60 hp 2 st Yamaha then the F60 Yamaha and now the F70. I would not currently go back to a 2stroke engine mainly due to motor fuming and economy loss.
So thanks for your creative writing input anyway, I'll just stick to the facts instead.
Mike
Thanks for the info re the propping I am going tho raise the motor 25mm and see how that goes as the gearbox is significantly larger on the 70 ( I have the cav plate set up exactly in line with the hull at present.) The economy is still very good, I had a run to fish the shelf recently covering 132km for the day and burned 42 lts. My revs are definitely higher at cruise with the 14 I am currently running with 4500rpm giving me 20knts, it revs out to 6300 when trimmed up at 27 knts. Overall I am happy with the motor, if I hadn't had the F60 on before it I would be absolutely stoked.
Wayno, I set my GPS on Knts and I haven't changed the gauge readout on the yammie gauges so they are in Kph. I'll drop Barra a message.
Thanks gents
Dave

deckie
13-02-2013, 12:44 AM
Steve,
The formula 15 was 1030kgs and my hull has far more glass in it. I have had the boat and trailer on a local weigh bridge with a total of 1435 kgs with the F60 on it so you can sound as cynical as you want it is still around 1200kgs loaded.
That was with no floor covering and an empty fuel tank (90lts) so I know that the hull weight alone is over 1100 kgs then add fuel and a second battery Evakool full of ice , couple of 100 kg blokes.......
Dave
Mike...i'm not having a go ok...just saying that the Formula 15 hull weight is the better part of 600kg lighter than you're saying....and the 445f hull weights from early 80's were at most around 400kg.
You;re saying your hull weight alone is over 1100kg ? with a tow weight with no fuel/livey tank water at 1435kg ??

I'd be surprised if a new Formula 15 loaded, with a heavier donk than yours, and a heavier stock hull out of the factory than yours, full of fuel, would have a tow weight over maybe 950-1000kg...and you're up around 500kg over that with a 445f ?? ...without fuel ?? Sounds like a monster.

A new hh 495 profish is only about 500kg and your 28yo+ 445f has a hull wieght alone of over 1100kg ??
The hull weights you;re quoting are more for a 6.0-6.5m glass rig...and with a cabin not a cc.
Would you expect a 60hp or 70hp 4stk to push a 6.2m cabin glass hull ?

Whilst numbers arnt going to change how your ride performs...maybe you should check on these numbers. Maybe ring HH or ask a few guys in here coz they're popular hulls...perhaps check a Formula website for their hull weights. Just saying it might be worth checking ok.

Dont take it the wrong way ok...i'm not being pedantic i'm now just very curious...could you maybe post a pic of this monster 445f just to satisfy my curiosity coz it sounds like a beast of a rig.

Steve.

wayno60
13-02-2013, 06:53 AM
Seeing this has turned out to be the "everything 70hp yammy thread", i was now wondering do any of you support your motor while under transit. Bris yam was happy to fit the motor and send me on my way but that means its just bouncing around on the trim pump
.My mate with the 115 opti has a H shaped bracket thingy that he fits onto the motor mount/transom and the leg and lowers the motor down till it takes all the weight.
So not wanting to be out down i knocked up one too.

Tangles
13-02-2013, 07:11 AM
i currently use the rubber block that fits on the ram, but am getting something similar that attaches to the trailer rails though, like what you have done Wayne

LittleSkipper
13-02-2013, 02:18 PM
Seeing this has turned out to be the "everything 70hp yammy thread", i was now wondering do any of you support your motor while under transit. Bris yam was happy to fit the motor and send me on my way but that means its just bouncing around on the trim pump
.My mate with the 115 opti has a H shaped bracket thingy that he fits onto the motor mount/transom and the leg and lowers the motor down till it takes all the weight.
So not wanting to be out down i knocked up one too.

Gidday Wayno

Yes! I also use the exact same 'H' type outboard support bracket on my Mercury everytime it leaves the driveway.

It was actually already supplied & fitted the day I picked up my boat.

It certainly gives me peace of mind knowing there'll be no damage to any of my outboards components from bouncing up & down whilst in transit.

cormorant
13-02-2013, 02:44 PM
I don't like ones attached to trailers as boats can move against the trailer and puts stress on the motor bracket and trim overpressure releases.

deckie
15-02-2013, 07:51 AM
Ordered one of these...
http://yshop.yamaha-motor.com.au/products/trailer-tilt-motor-support-0

Which fits over the tilt ram like this...but i still cant see how it stops the leg from bouncing UPwards on rough ground..so do you think its still worth using some thick shock cord/rubber occy to tie down the lower leg ?
Once u get over 90hp in the yam's its a different bracket that fits onto the port ram.

wayno60
24-03-2013, 04:49 PM
Well im up to 19 hr and after tonight it will be ready for its 20 hr serv. who has every one been using?
My local dealer is Marine Tune down at Burleigh but ive never had anything to do with them. Is there much difference in price between dealers for services?

cheers

stevemid
25-03-2013, 05:26 AM
Marlin01,
There is a good discussion of the differences between a 50-60 & 70HP Yamaha here http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?190670-Same-motor-different-HP&highlight=stevemid

You are experiencing exactly what I thought when I submitted the original question. My proposition was that since all 3 motors are the same displacement, you don't really get that much more for the 60 and 70HP versions. In fact, I thought that since they don't develop their HP until in the WOT range, at mid range, say 4000, they'd all have the same pull. I've always suspected this was the case especially with the 70 because it doesn't develop 70HP until 6300 RPM.

The other BIG difference between the 60 and the 70 is the gearing. They use different gearing on the 60 which is 24:13 or 1.85:1 than the 70: (28:12) 2.33:1 That lower gearing on the 60 gives it more power to turn a bigger prop which has more bite on the water, giving it better hole shot etc. So in your case, because of the weight, the 60 might even be better than the 70.

Spaniard_King
25-03-2013, 06:36 AM
Steve,
That was with no floor covering and an empty fuel tank (90lts) so I know that the hull weight alone is over 1100 kgs then add fuel and a second battery Evakool full of ice , couple of 100 kg blokes.
I have had the hull myself for 28 yrs for the simple reason it has a great shape and is very heavy hence it's ride for its length is way better than any other boat under 5 m I have been in.
Performance is not terrible just no better than the F60 which surprised me with how well it actually went,27knts wot and enough punch to tow two big guys on a large ski biscuit out of the hole very quickly. My point is I expected significant improvement with a 16% increase in motor output.
I have previously had a 60hp Johnson 2st (original motor) 90 hp Mariner (too heavy but 44knts) 60 hp 2 st Yamaha then the F60 Yamaha and now the F70. I would not currently go back to a 2stroke engine mainly due to motor fuming and economy loss.
So thanks for your creative writing input anyway, I'll just stick to the facts instead.
Mike
Thanks for the info re the propping I am going tho raise the motor 25mm and see how that goes as the gearbox is significantly larger on the 70 ( I have the cav plate set up exactly in line with the hull at present.) The economy is still very good, I had a run to fish the shelf recently covering 132km for the day and burned 42 lts. My revs are definitely higher at cruise with the 14 I am currently running with 4500rpm giving me 20knts, it revs out to 6300 when trimmed up at 27 knts. Overall I am happy with the motor, if I hadn't had the F60 on before it I would be absolutely stoked.
Wayno, I set my GPS on Knts and I haven't changed the gauge readout on the yammie gauges so they are in Kph. I'll drop Barra a message.
Thanks gents
Dave

Marlin, the yam 70 should out perform the 60.

As a basic check... see if when you are at full throttle the actual throttle mechanism on the engine is hitting the full throttle stop!!

Have seen many an engine installed with only %85 of full throttle acheived

Fed
25-03-2013, 08:25 AM
By your numbers Steve the 60 is geared higher than the 70.

They use different gearing on the 60 which is 24:13 or 1.85:1 than the 70: (28:12) 2.33:1 That lower gearing on the 60 gives it more power to turn a bigger prop which has more bite on the water, giving it better hole shot etc.
Can you make that fit into your theory?

Malcolm W
25-03-2013, 09:36 AM
I see it the same as Fed 2:33 : 1 = lower gearing. You need more revs to turn the prop once. Also backed up by Marlins quote,
[ the gearbox is significantly larger on the 70 ]
The 70 looks more like the bigfoot gearing. This is a quote from continuous wave forum that helps explain for me.

[Gear ratio is an important factor in selecting an outboard IF, and ONLY IF, you are trying to make a decision between an ordinary outboard and a HIGH THRUST version of the same outboard. For example, Yamaha makes two versions of its 60 HP 4-stroke, one has a gear ratio of 1.85:1 (1.85 flywheel revolutions : 1 propeller revolution) and the other, a HIGH THRUST version, has a gear ratio of 2.33:1. Going from 1.85:1 to 2.33:1 is like shifting into a "granny gear".]

So I guess prop selection is the most important consideration.

stevemid
25-03-2013, 10:35 AM
By your numbers Steve the 60 is geared higher than the 70.

Can you make that fit into your theory?

Fed,
I had an inkling that the numbers were backward as I let the post go. No. I cannot make it fit with the theory so the numbers must be wrong. According to Malcom, the 60 came in two versions (I didn't know that) AND the 70 has the same gearing as the high thrust 60! Now I'm totally confused.
Steve

wayno60
25-03-2013, 11:40 AM
Garry clear your inbox mate..

Spaniard_King
25-03-2013, 01:04 PM
Garry clear your inbox mate..

Done Wayne,

Can we get an inbox 90% full alert sent to us by email??

Malcolm W
25-03-2013, 01:46 PM
Fed,
I had an inkling that the numbers were backward as I let the post go. No. I cannot make it fit with the theory so the numbers must be wrong. According to Malcom, the 60 came in two versions (I didn't know that) AND the 70 has the same gearing as the high thrust 60! Now I'm totally confused.
Steve

Im not sure if there is or was a high thrust 60 in Australia, just the quote helps to explain.
Good information in this thread and your other one Steve, helps to understand and choose the right motor for your needs.

cajunnsw
25-03-2013, 02:45 PM
There is / was a high thrust 60. I have one on the back of my Quinnie.

stevemid
25-03-2013, 03:43 PM
There is / was a high thrust 60. I have one on the back of my Quinnieq

This is the blurb fron the Yamaha website on the 60:

FT60DETL, FT60DETX
True Grunt
Yamaha’s FT60D High Thrust four stroke has been designed to deliver the grunt needed to push big loads with ease.

Based on the standard F60 with one big difference; a higher gear ratio allows this motor to spin a larger propeller minimising slippage and getting more power to the water when you need it most..
Gear ratio? 2.33:1. This is the same as is spec'd for the Yamaha 70!

Bt the way, on the same website the standard Yamaha 60 is spec'd with gear ratio of 1.85:1

Based on that, you appear to have an additional 10 HP with "hi thrust" gearing. ( Take that to read " pay no attention to my posts on gearing.")
Steve

Fed
25-03-2013, 03:57 PM
Based on the standard F60 with one big difference; a higher gear ratio allows this motor to spin a larger propeller minimising slippage and getting more power to the water when you need it most..
They're Japanese Steve, what would they know.
Shoot them off an email & see how quick they change it. ;)