PDA

View Full Version : Anyone for Basa? Watch this!

odes20
04-09-2012, 10:55 PM
http://www.vimeo.com/11817894

Watch this video

Cheers!

mull dog
05-09-2012, 08:15 AM
Didn't watch it but I think its a bit like hot dogs, the less you know the better!

sharkymark2
05-09-2012, 08:37 AM
Now I know why I am dubious about the product. Catfish is pink fleshed and this stuff comes out whiter than snow white. They must bleach all the evil things out of it.

pescados
05-09-2012, 02:05 PM
Think I'll stick to fish I have caught myself.

PinHead
05-09-2012, 02:13 PM
that video has been around for years. Oh, the drama of it all. So, in balance..how abotu you read the following: http://portal.mrcmekong.org/

I could easily do a similar video about the Brisbane river...and how many would believe that.

kingtin
05-09-2012, 02:59 PM
Like Greg said, that's old hat. The vietnamese gov't realised all the bad press that basa was getting, due in the main to the US catfish growers/sellers association peeve that basa sales were encroaching on their sales and their campaign to dirty the water so to speak. In light of this, the growing of basa (for the export market) is now strictly regulated and compares with that of more developed nations.

odes20
06-09-2012, 07:34 AM
old hat eh well I posted for anyone who would like to watch it.

It is intersting for new watchers. apparently? :)

MEG-A-BITE
06-09-2012, 07:49 AM
I Still don't eat any imported fish.No matter what they say about the regulations.

onerabbit
06-09-2012, 05:22 PM
Pretty amazed by the statement "the dirtiest river in the world",
I always thought( and have read ) that the Mekong was 1 of the worlds cleanest waterways, due to the huge amount of water that flows down from the Himalayas.
YES, it's the colour of coffee with milk, & no doubt there would be pasture & industrial run-off,
I have seen the toilets perched above the fish ponds (wouldn't be eating those fish) but thats just how these people try to keep their own environment clean, chances are that they won't eat them either (but they might sell them to someone else).

If you could get a piece of sh!t to stick to a hook, in Australia, you would catch a bream................how many people do you know that eat bream.

Muzz

Qlder1
06-09-2012, 05:52 PM
Theres a thought... a turd shaped lure , could do well in Asia.. or here apparently if you chase bream.. :P:P

cqfreshie
06-09-2012, 11:54 PM
Theres a thought... a turd shaped lure , could do well in Asia.. or here apparently if you chase bream.. :P:P

Ha ha ... With a lure like that, you should be easy to find around the Cap coast haunts.

aus2045
12-11-2012, 11:17 AM
I love Basa, I buy it at leaset once a week as I like to eat fish as much as possible, the local product is $30-$40 per kg and often on the turn. There are no fish left in any local waters to catch yourself, so the only alternative is imported asian farmed fish like these. Cooked up they taste great.

odes20
12-11-2012, 12:13 PM
Aint no fish , aint no tuna , ant no fish,
holy mackerel! somedays, there just aint no fish! you flounder for fish,
and although some days you get a mess full,
other days are less successful,
somedays there just aint no fish.

Where are you from aus2045? surely there's a scale or two around there somewhere?

ubar
12-11-2012, 12:14 PM
awespme vid odes , i never buy impoterd fish or prawns and this video is the exact reason why. Bloody disgusting. And aus what are u talking about mate?...wivanhoe and somerset are full of catfish and there are thousands of local bream. But eat what u want mate , support a overseas fish.

aus2045
12-11-2012, 12:32 PM
I'm in Central Qld, between Rockhampton and Yeppoon. I've been fishing here 10yrs and it's no good at all.

odes20
12-11-2012, 12:46 PM
Maybe start a thread on here to get some ideas for that area ? Im sure some of the locals on here would give you some tips?

johncar
12-11-2012, 05:05 PM
Even though some farmers standards may be a bit dodgy, I am all in favour of farmed fish and would like to see the day when all nets are taken out of the wild waterways and we have a limited fishing by line only allowed. For those of us who spend megabucks on all our boats and gear, get up at sparrow fart to go and catch a fish for the table with a bit of string and a hook it's a fair thing and I don't believe we are decimating wild fish stocks by doing that. For those that want to buy fish and chips at the shop, bring on the Basa!

MudRiverDan
12-11-2012, 05:09 PM
http://www.vimeo.com/11817894

Watch this video

Cheers!

If Australians even shows an iota of their resourcefulness and initiative, we would not be buying it.

Dan

krocspoon
13-11-2012, 06:14 PM
how many of you have been and seen first hand where this crap is grown ? my mate showed me photos of the long drop straight into fish pond , i bought it 1 time before i knew what it was, i couldnt eat it so gave it to the cat,next morning perfectly in tacked not even a ant. sorry Australian or nothing

MudRiverDan
13-11-2012, 08:14 PM
how many of you have been and seen first hand where this crap is grown ? my mate showed me photos of the long drop straight into fish pond , i bought it 1 time before i knew what it was, i couldnt eat it so gave it to the cat,next morning perfectly in tacked not even a ant. sorry Australian or nothing

Yet the Brisbane river has been a sewerage dump for a long time.
Many fish caught and eaten in that time.

As a matter of fact Ill take a long shot and guess their is more exotic chemicals available in the Brisbane river than in any viet long drop.

The truth is catfish or basa like fish have slimy skin extremely resistant to contaminants in the water.

The biology of most animals do not eat shit and become shit, their body takes nutrients and expels the rest.

Personally I don't eat them as they are pretty average table fish, especially after sitting in cold store for months.

Most probably a viable source of protein to people that cannot shop at woolworths.

I doubt the majority of Basa farms are situated under houses long drops.

As for eating fish in Australia yourself, if you did not catch it yourself their is no guarantee it came from pristine waters.

Dan