PDA

View Full Version : Electric trolling motor on a runabout?

ortho85
04-09-2012, 01:52 PM
I have a Stacer 4.89 Baymaster Runabout. I'm hoping to add a not-too-expensive electric trolling motor, for occasional use, pretty much only in the Noosa River area.

The problem is that the drop from the deck to the water at the pointy end is 900mm. From what I've read, that means I would have to get an extended shaft Minn Kota, and that looks like big biccies.

The boat has that extended pod at the blunt end, so there's no easy way to hang a transom mounted cheapo motor that I can see.

So, here's the question - is there a simple way to fit a standard transom mount motor (without welding preferably) to this design runabout?

Thanks!

The-easyrider
05-09-2012, 09:04 PM
I used to have a Stacer 5.25 and I hung a 54lb water snake of the back for dam work but found that it was at the mercy of the wind it would blow the front of the boat around so went back to the outboard. The Stacer had a full width pod so to mount it I riveted a piece of 75 x100 x 6mm alli I had in the shed.When I removed it I only had to put rivets and a bit of sicka in the holes. It's not hard to spin the head around if you found a transom mount long enough to do the job up front, I have just cut down the old water snake by 300mm to suit the inflatable and it would be dead easy to spin the head 180 degrees.