PDA

View Full Version : DIY Ferry to Peel Island

WalrusLike
03-09-2012, 09:46 PM
I want to take my neighbors over to Horseshoe Bay for a picnic. There are too many people for one trip so I need to do two or three ferry trips.

I know Manly well but was thinking of using Raby Bay since its closer. The only pontoon I saw down there was the public one in the Marina near the Railway Station.

Can I ask the collective locals:

How close in can I come before going off plane? I was hoping to stay at speed all the way till the last two beacons to reduce trip time. Is that doable and common practice or is the entire channel 6 knots?

Where would I tell them to park their cars? I see a public car park inland 2 blocks. Railway Station on weekend?

Any other suggestions than Raby or Manly? Thanks for any advice.

Axl
03-09-2012, 09:58 PM
Id use the public ramp at Cleveland where the VMR are based, plenty of parking and closer to Peel than going into Raby Bay would be.

WalrusLike
03-09-2012, 10:09 PM
Thanks mate but I was hoping to use a pontoon to make it easy for them to get in. Also the VMR ramp doesn't seem to have car parks just trailer ones.

Triple
03-09-2012, 10:22 PM
About 13km trip from raby bay marina public pontoon to horseshoe (with over a km of 6 knot from the pontoon in the marina) plenty of parking at all the surrounding shops. About 10km from VMR raby bay ramp (car spots at the back of vmr ramp car park) and 10km give or take 1/2 a kay from cleveland ramp with plenty of parking in the ferry carpark. If they are happy to wait while you do the trips (have a beer/wine at hogsbreath?) then the pontoon in raby bay is a great way of keeping them occupied and dry.

Axl
03-09-2012, 10:26 PM
I didn't realise you were after a pontoon. I must admit I haven't used the Cleveland ramp in 10 years or more it didnt have a pontoon back then and I dont think it has now.

Victoria point has a pontoon and plenty of parking it may be a little further than Raby Bay to Peel would be (not much) but there is no slowing down needed there till you are at the pontoon.

Just watch it at low tide as it is quite shallow.

Triple
03-09-2012, 10:39 PM
Victoria point has a pontoon and plenty of parking it may be a little further than Raby Bay to Peel would be (not much) but there is no slowing down needed there till you are at the pontoon.

Just watch it at low tide as it is quite shallow.

Yep your right, only 10km or so aswell.. If the tides are right then i would use vicky point too.

theoldlegend
04-09-2012, 05:59 AM
Can you let me know which ramp you're going to?

Then I can round up few of us and watch you launch.8-)

Don't forget your pink bag. :D

TOL

netmaker
04-09-2012, 06:43 AM
going from cleveland where the barges leave from is both the shortest and the quickest. admittedly there is no pontoon, but there is no pontoon at the horseshoe bay end either. you will need to get your "customers" used to no pontoon at 1 end at least anyway. why not both ends?
ps. good to see you dont want them parking in trailer bays at vmr;)

WalrusLike
04-09-2012, 06:47 AM
Thanks fellas for the good info.

And thanks TOL for the interest in my activities.... So for your viewing pleasure please assemble the motley crew at Labrador ramp where I will be departing on a date to be advised.

I will be resplendent in basic black tastefully accessorized with a pretty pink Supre handbag for my lip gloss and other nautical niceties.

Perhaps you and the crew could warm up the cheer leading with a few assists for other boaties while you wait? I look forward to the court report about a motley crew disturbing the peace and being drunk and disorderly.

:)

thelump
04-09-2012, 08:46 AM
Mate it would be much easier from Viccy point. Has a good potoon there and is as close to Peel as the others. How many are you planning to get across there? Remember it is classed as smooth water from viccy point to peel so maximum vessel loads can apply! Have fun. Its a great place for a picnic.

WalrusLike
04-09-2012, 12:50 PM
Thanks Lump. Wanting to take mine and two other households. (need a bigger boat!)

I will probably use Viccy point as you say.

Oops I mean.... Labrador. :)

Moonlighter
04-09-2012, 12:50 PM
If you are going from Viccy pt, you might consider Blakesleys anchorage instead of Horseshoe. Less people and just as nice on a high tide.

Cheers

ML

ericcs
04-09-2012, 02:12 PM
if you do consider using the cleveland ramp, do so only either side of high tide. i got caught out launching at low tide, with the water only a foot deep, but with bottomless silt under that. i was lucky i was hanging onto the side of the boat

WalrusLike
04-09-2012, 02:21 PM
Blakeslys? Dunno that one. Whereabouts is that mate?

Thanks for all this info guys I really appreciate it.

The chart for Vicky point looks scary shallow. Is there enough water at low to get to pontoon? Is the bottom mud or rock?

Axl
04-09-2012, 02:36 PM
Blakeslys? Dunno that one. Whereabouts is that mate?

Thanks for all this info guys I really appreciate it.

The chart for Vicky point looks scary shallow. Is there enough water at low to get to pontoon? Is the bottom mud or rock?

Blakleys anchorage is on Straddie straight across from Coochie, but you need to go around the Pelican banks to get there.

PS: The Pelican banks can hold some good Whiting at times.

Yes Walruslike it is very shallow at low you can get to the pontoon but you may need to do a little dredging .

I normally use the ramp wher the ferry pulls in as it is a couple of quick turns then straight out to deep water but there is no pontoon there and you have to be there at 03:00 (on the weekends) to get a park.

The bottom is typicaly mud and sand I havent seen any real rock as such.

Trying to get to that pontoon (at low) one day to go to get some ice as the shop on Coochie had run out was the first time I took any paint of my prop (bugger).

Argle
04-09-2012, 02:39 PM
The chart is right - its bloody shallow, mixture of mud/sand with a few good rocks for good measure. If you come in the western side of Coochie its better as far as the channel goes. Just be aware on a nice day on the weekend Vicky point is like flamin pitt st. Boats everywhere and if you dont get there REALLY early you will be forced to park your car and trailer way way way up the road as the trailer parks disappear very quickly.

thelump
04-09-2012, 03:02 PM
Heres a thought. Put them on the Straddy Flyer and just pick them up from the little ships club. Nice and close between there and peel and a good boat ride for them! No ramp rage to worry about either once you launch with one load.

WalrusLike
04-09-2012, 05:16 PM
Thanks but the flyer costs money and I am trying to give them a freebie.....

I was thinking of launching elsewhere and just picking them up from Vicky. Is there normally enough pontoon free to stop in for a sec to on load passengers?

Also if parking there for boaties is tight is it also tight for cars?

WalrusLike
04-09-2012, 05:21 PM
PS... To all those guys thinking... 'just do it anywhere and let them get their bloody feet wet!'....

The reason I am being as considerate as possible for passengers is because I want them to have a good easy time... and they are maybe not normally water folk...

At Horshoe or maybe Blakelys I can put the stern in to shore so they just step down easy into very little water... and there it's clean and sandy.

Moonlighter
04-09-2012, 07:53 PM
Hey Walrus

If you haven't got one already, get yourself a copy of the Beacon to Beacon guide.

Handy maps of the Bay etc, and hopefully the current version also has a list of nice anchorages and places for a picnic, that's how we found Blaksleys many years ago when Brownie was producing the b to b.

You'll find heaps of other great spots for the family like the Bedrooms, Slipping Sands, Sandhills, Amity Pt etc etc that are great for a picnic or BBQ.

Your other option if you want better facilities is to join Redlands Boat Club at Cleveland, then you can use the members only pontoon and carpark net to the public ramp at Cleveland. I am pretty sure we have vacancies at the present!

That's what I did!

Cheers

ML

WalrusLike
04-09-2012, 09:28 PM
Thanks ML. I have it but it is in the boat.... I should get it out after each trip so I can read it more.

I know those other spots... just not Blakelys.

Yeah maybe I should join Cleveland or MBTC. Thanks again... You are one of the most helpful blokes here.... I hope plenty of good karma comes your way. :)

theoldlegend
05-09-2012, 06:52 AM
Hmmmm. I'm assuming it'll be on a weekend and the weather will have to be good, so it's probable that a lot of other people will also be out and about on the water.

Viccy Point sounds good, but if you go to Viccy Point, there'll probably be a lot of day trippers off to Coochie on the ferry which will add to the number of cars parked there. Then you have to find a trailer spot, which isn't easy on a fine weekend.

Could you launch at the VMR at Raby Bay and collect your passengers at that public pontoon near the Cleveland railway station? There should be plenty of car parking available close by.

It'll also be an exercise in logistics. You might have to get your neighbours to leave home at different times, to shorten the wait for you while you're en route to your destination and return, given that there'll be probably three trips, assuming there'll be eskies etc plus people.

Possibly you could take your family to Horseshoe first, drop them off and return in time to collect your first load of neighbours, and so on.

Good luck with your endeavours. It'll be interesting to see how it all pans out.

TOL

WalrusLike
05-09-2012, 08:14 AM
TOL you nailed it.... That is pretty much exactly the plan. Launch elsewhere, get family to Peel, pick up staggered times from railway pontoon or Viccy.

Depends a bit on tides. Seems like a lot of trouble to go to but they are nice folk and it should be a good day. Also it's fun doing anything in a boat so I don't mind the extra trips.

Triple
05-09-2012, 09:55 AM
Also, you could ask the question on here the day before you go if anyone is heading to peel from same ramp.. You might just find a fellow friendly ausfisher that might assist and drop them off for you so no extra trips required.