PDA

View Full Version : logging on today - What the....

Jeremy
02-09-2012, 07:07 PM
Went to log on with Coast Guard Caloundra today about 8.45 am to cross the bar. Called up, gave my associate membership number (this is Caloundra XYZ), 1 POB, headed to NW Fairway buoy and will be back within 2 hours. Got asked for my mobile telephone number which I thought was a bit odd but whatever so gave it to him, then he asked for my vessel details. What the!! I told him they would be on their database as I am an associate member, and I was then asked for my membership number and how long I had been a member. WHAT THE!!!

Honestly, you don't expect questions like that when you log on. I dunno whether it was this blokes first day, but really even a 2 minute induction to taking log on information should include associate membership procedures - i.e. what an associate membership number is and that vessel details including mobile phone numbers are stored in a database.

Kind of undermines the confidence I have in the organisation unfortunately.

Lancair
02-09-2012, 07:22 PM
I hear where youre coming from, but cut the guy some slack, at least he was there to log you outbound.
Maybe he was filling in for someone else in an emergency and was the closest and quickest to assist ?

I appreciate the fact they are there at all, all of them being volunteers.

Spaniard_King
02-09-2012, 08:51 PM
Jeremy, could it be that he caught you out!!

Most VMR units go through the whole process of the log in proceedure, maybe he was filling in at that unit. Maybe there data base was down.

guess you will have to be ready for all this info mext time :)

WalrusLike
03-09-2012, 07:02 AM
I don't think the VMR and Coast Guard are always staffed by extremely competent people. A small percentage may be slightly inept.

BUT.... many, if not most, have more experience than I ever will. On the odd occasion that a newbie is on the radio, I bet there are one or two experienced folk listening nearby.

They are there, including the newbie, working away, providing a much appreciated service while I am having fun on my boat heading out from the ramp.

Logically though, if you log on, you have just increased your safety margin by a factor of a gazzilion. (sorry to get all technical on you..... :) )

So a dispassionate statistical look at things says.....

Don't knock em, join em! :)

Jeremy
03-09-2012, 04:43 PM
"So a dispassionate statistical look at things says.....

Don't knock em, join em!"

Yeah mate, I did - been as associate member for 12 years now

Jeremy
03-09-2012, 04:46 PM
I don't think he "caught me out" Garry. If the data base was down, I am sure he might have mentioned it as the reason why he was asking for my vessel details.

15 km away at Mooloolaba, the process seems to run so very smoothly. Someone calls up with their associate member number, gives POB, destination and ETA and bingo, they are on the log. I know how to log on, I would like to feel confident that the person taking my details knows what they are doing also.

lethal098
03-09-2012, 05:00 PM
I heard that radio msg, Was very surprisng to hear what he wanted,

At redcliffe once we have your member number and the Eta, people etc, we are done, SIMPLE.

Maybe he was new?? who knows but at least you logged on!!

banksmister
03-09-2012, 05:07 PM
Might be there way of updating info

Lots of people change mobile numbers

Move house and change home phone

Buy a new boat and in the excitement don’t update vessel details

Im sure they often have to chase a boat late at night that hasn’t logged off and ring the land line and get the “duno what ur talken about” as the people have moved

MyWay
03-09-2012, 05:09 PM
Jeremy
I think u had the same opereter as me a few weeks back .He asked so many questions I could not believe it and I knew that something will go wrong.
I was 10 mins late to log off they called my wife and told her they can not reach me on radio.

She almost finished in hospital.

outta line
03-09-2012, 05:21 PM
when i log on with JW i give my member number and tell them everything is up to date on the computer under my member number...then pob..where iam going and time of return....never have a problem doing it that was as i have all ready let them know everything is up to date and cuts out all the questions ....mick

WalrusLike
04-09-2012, 07:39 AM
Yeah mate, I did - been as associate member for 12 years now

Sorry mate... don't get me wrong, I knew you were a member and I was not digging at you... I just wanted to say that even though it might go wrong a time or two it's a bloody good service.

I agree with your point about its not needed if the db exists... I like the idea of the 'my data is up to date' at start to avoid the questions.

Dignity
04-09-2012, 07:50 PM
I thought there was an article in the local Caloundra rag about a month ago about the CCG but I can't recall any specifics now, still better to be logged on. Myway, I once was about 45 mins late and got a call on the radio so now even if it looks like I will be cutting it fine I just give them a call and extend my ETA.

fat-buoy
05-09-2012, 09:16 AM
I think he may have been clarifying the info on his database... at Mooloolaba the other week another boat logged on with their member number and then after a few questions the operator asked if he knew that his membership is expired?

After what seemed like an age of embarrassment for the poor guy he said that he thought it was paid and would get a cheque off to them asap.