PDA

View Full Version : 4 stroke life span

kind_cir
02-09-2012, 05:39 PM
Looking at a tinnie with a 15hp honda 4 stroke on it (2000 mod) .

what sort of life should one expect out of an engine like this ? How would it compare to a 2 banger ?

zan0_15
02-09-2012, 06:08 PM
all depends how well the motor has been looked after, does it have full service history?

Spaniard_King
02-09-2012, 08:40 PM
all depends how well the motor has been looked after, does it have full service history?

OK so the motor does not have a "full" service history, where does he go from here???

Keen to see the response on this one??

Also keen to see how many people have a 12 year old engine with a complete service history???

I am yet to see an aging 15hp with a full service history!!

Get the usual pre purchase checks done and along with the engines physical appearance make your mind up from there.
it's not possible to gauge the full condition of any engine without fully stripping down the engine and measuring tolerances xraying the components for wall thickness to compare with the manufacturers specs..... gime 5k and I will send u a detailed report::)

WalrusLike
03-09-2012, 07:09 AM
You would probably let a lot of good motors get away from you while you were waiting to see one that old with a full service history.

pipifin
03-09-2012, 07:27 AM
And I guess you have to consider the price of the combo too.
When I bought my 3.7 with an old 20hp merc, I was doing the maths with the possibility that the motor was cactus..... or near cactus. It started fine, pumped loads of water, but under load i sucked..... having said that, I only paid $1100 with 12 months rego still on the boat and trailer... so what did I have to lose?!
I should add that I spent countless hours trying to fix that motor and only intermittently succeeded so replaced it with a honda 20 (thanks again SK) and couldn't be happier (unless I had a bigger boat as well, and had more time off work.... or didn't need to work etc etc)

Noelm
03-09-2012, 09:28 AM
In that sort of HP, I kind of doubt any engine will be worn out, but at 12 years old, corrosion/rust and general neglect might be your enemy