PDA

View Full Version : Should you be alarmed?

WalrusLike
01-09-2012, 07:40 AM
Ever had the urge on the way home after a trip to stop in at maccas for a bite? Or stopping at the shops on the way to the ramp to pick up some iced vo-vos?

The pride and joy in your rear view all open and attractive to tea-leafs?

Someone on here suggested that a cheap motion sensor alarm inside your boat can give you peace of mind while you duck inside for the bickies. I liked the idea and looked around but all the motion sensor alarms I saw seem to be no good in daylight.

Is there anyone here who has alarmed their boat successfully and is willing to share how and with what?

marto78
01-09-2012, 08:13 AM
I've never really thought about it until now but now you mention it I think something portable would be the go like this:

http://www.ozstock.com.au/3878/Portable-Wireless-Motion-Sensor-Alarm-Kit-with-2-Remotes.html

or this:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Kasp-610-Portable-Motion-Sensor-Alarm-/310424617482?pt=AU_Building_Materials&hash=item4846bfc20a

You can sit it on the dash when your getting your maccas and leave it in the car when your out fishing so it doesn't get destroyed by the salt water environment.

Apollo
01-09-2012, 08:56 AM
I had an interesting discussion with my insurance company about the same thing. What about when you launch solo and go to put the trailer away or you pull up at the servo and go in to pay or you duck in to grab some takeaway or visit the can? I asked after reading the Product Information attached to the insurance. Their response is that you need to do all that would be deemed reasonable to protect your asset. What does that mean? They told me that having someone stay with the boat would be ok. What if you were solo, I ask? They couldn't give a definative answer, but said I must be seen to be taking reasonable effort to protect the asset. So I take the boat inition keys with me when I park the trailer, remove the gps/sounders when overnighting/camping and not in full view of the boat, put the fishing gear in the vehicle when travelling, lock the electric motor, keep my time away from the boat when it is vunerable to a minimum and use a trailer lock. It is really worth reading through your insurance policy as it can be frightening at times.

WalrusLike
01-09-2012, 08:59 AM
Marto I think that they are infra red detectors. I've read that IR detectors are no good in full sun. Could be wrong though....

One type that is apparently used in convertible cars is a microwave sensor.

But it may be that the ir ones work fine.... That why I was dangling a line and hoping to catch someone that has one in use already. Can't beat experience, eh!

hilta1
01-09-2012, 09:09 AM
I have a portable remote control alarm that i place in the boat when leaving to go up the street or overnighting, i have mounted it on a plate with a lock on it so works a treat, when traveling we stay up the front and when swmbo is traveling with me we mount the alarm, one time through the night a guy walked to the back of the boat for a leek, and must of poked his head up the back of the boat to have a look, he got one hell of a shock when the alarm nearly deafend him and an even bigger shock when i was standing at the back of the boat with just my boxers on and a shotty pointed at him!!!!!!

Jarrah Jack
01-09-2012, 09:11 AM
I heard that leaving a pink handbag on the boat dash can deter thieves....

MudRiverDan
01-09-2012, 09:27 AM
Those in car cameras are becoming very popular too.
I knew a truck driver that got one for some of his drivers to reduce false complaints.
They can sit on a constant 24 hour loop, so you always get the last 24 hours, well this one did and it was just a cheapie (about $80.00 from memory).

With the rise in technology and camera technology, it seems you can get a "do the job setup" and easily instal one.

Dan

WalrusLike
01-09-2012, 09:45 AM
......when the alarm nearly deafend him and an even bigger shock when i was standing at the back of the boat with just my boxers on and a shotty pointed at him!!!!!!

Jeez Hilta, if he wasn't peeing when he looked in, he sure woulda been when the shotty came out! :)

So does it work in daylight? What sort is it?

ericcs
01-09-2012, 09:49 AM
i think you can buy motion detector alarms for motor bikes. something like that would have to easy to attach on a boat

fisho8
01-09-2012, 10:19 AM
I heard that leaving a pink handbag on the boat dash can deter thieves....

:LMAO: classc mate Thought that would come up sooner or later. I had a Viper alarm on my clubbie that used to talk if you got too close to the car telling you to stand back could work with a boat I guess.:)

hilta1
01-09-2012, 06:51 PM
Hi Walrus yes it does work in daylight and i got it either at jaycar? or i think it was Dick smith, only about $60. i did have one with pin code but could never remember the code!!! far better this one has 2 remotes just hit arm and you dont have to climb up in the boat to set it.