PDA

View Full Version : Why The Aussie Boating Industry Could Be In Trouble

Goldfinch
30-08-2012, 11:41 AM
Apologies for the long thread.

Well, the saga continues with regards to the selling of my Haines Hunter and the search for a replacement. After looking at hundreds of different models of boats both made in Australia and the USA I have scaled them down to a half a dozen boats that will suit my needs.

Here is my experience with 3 SE QLD boat dealerships and 1 NSW dealer so far.

The first one is a dealer that rang me as soon as I listed my boat and offered to sell my boat on consignment in their yard. I said I would think about it and call them back in a couple of weeks time if I was interested. A few weeks later I decided to give them a call back to discuss the possibility of them selling my boat by referral seeing as though they were the main dealer for my Brand of boat on the Sunshine coast. I tried to call them 3 times over a couple of days and had no answer, the phone just rang out. Then the 4th time I got a human and had to leave a message to speak with a sales guy who never called me back. Then over the following week I tried calling at different times during business hours 5 times and the phone rang out every time. If I was a customer looking at buying a boat, I would have given up. This is one of 2 main dealerships on the Sunshine Coast.

My 2nd experience was with another Sunshine Coast dealer who sells one of the 3 Aussie boats that I am interested in buying. I sent them an email asking if they had a particular model in stock. They replied 5 days later with a "no we don't have one in stock for you to look at". Lucky there was one at the boat show, not that they bothered to tell me that!!!!! So I checked the model out at the boat show. Comparing their boat with the Yank boat is a different story. Then I emailed them again on Monday with my details....the boat I have to sell or trade, a list of the features and inclusions that are important to me and then the question..."can you please give me an approx price on a trade with my boat keeping in mind that my budget is approx $xxxxx". The next day the sales guy just sent back a "format" one sheeter with base boat price a basic choice of Mercury outboards and a couple of other options and a note saying "when you are ready, let me know". Well, I'm ready mate...did you not read the email???? It says, give me a changeover price. No phone call to have a chat and discuss options, nothing. GONE !!!

3rd experience was a dealer on Brisbane northside who also rang me to see if I wanted to sell my boat in their yard as they needed stock. I said I wanted to use the boat but would be happy to sell by referral for less commission. He wasn't interested. He then asked why I was selling my boat and I explained that my needs have changed and I want a different style of boat. I mentioned the 3 Aussie boats I was considering and then he said..."what about the xxxxx range, they are the best glass boats in Australia", I said, "yes, I have heard of them but I dont think they have what I want", he said, "yes they do, they have a 5.8m centre console glass boat, awesome boat, blah blah blah. I said, "ok, i'll check it out. Do you have one?". He said, "No, we don't sell them". WTF?????? Gee thanks for the advice, glad you don't work for my company. Anyway, I did a search on this particular range of boats and as I suspected they don't do a centre console AT ALL and never have done. Great product knowledge mate!!!!

I also liked the look of a Yank boat which is being imported by a dealer in NSW so I sent them an email enquiry. Fortunately this time I actually got a call from the dealer and we started chatting about the boat. He asked if the boat was for fishing, family etc. I said, "just fishing, no wife or kids mate", then he starts telling me about his recent break-up blah blah blah blah blah blah blah. I had to literally say "right, thats enough counselling, back to boats!!!!". He gets back on track, tells me what options are available and I tell him to quote me on this and that etc etc and he says, righto, I'll send you some photos and email you a quote. I get a text on my phone with a picture of a console of a boat, which I assume was his boat, then I reply and say "that looks good, please email a quote". Guess what???...never got one. I sent him 2 more texts asking how he was going with that price and no reply. The reality is, I was actually very interested in this boat and the price was almost good enough for me to not import one but then I changed my mind.

Then I thought, what about importing a boat so I did some research, emailed a reputable importer/broker and within 30minutes had a call from a guy who was straight up, gave me all the facts, pro's and cons, worse case scenario with costs etc and then gave me his direct line to contact him when I sell my boat and find a boat that I need inspected in the USA. Finally some service.

Is this painting a picture or what???

propdinger
30-08-2012, 12:29 PM
i personally never do high priced sales over the phone or internet(unless too far away) cause im sure they get a lot of tyre kickers and treat everyone the same after awhile which is a shame but it happens. as for not answering phones that's just stupid on all accounts. i have never been treated the way you have which im glad.

hope it turns out well in the end

Smithy
30-08-2012, 12:34 PM
I still can't see why you would want to sell your boat? For one, doing Noosa bar, if you cop a greeny your current cabin is going to shed a lot of water for you and pop out the other side. Copped some white water in a 2301 Striper doing fisherman's gutter the other week in the Rainbow comp and it just rolled up over the top and shedded it fine with just a few drips off the back of the hard top once we popped through. A CC or centre cab is going to scoop a lot up and bog you down with the extra weight and the free surface effect of all that water in you cockpit can make you pretty unstable. Are you looking to fish a guy up the front? Most of the true Aussie boats aren't true walkabouts. The 680-685 Patriots/Encores etc., CC Outsiders etc. you couldn't really fish from the front. Having been involved with a true walkabout (702 Signature) where one or two people could fish along the side or up the front I wouldn't have one again. One, due to what I said first about scooping up water and two, there is too much flex in the fibreglass on the cabin sides. On a normal cabin boat the topsides are coming straight off the gunnels and are very rigid and strong. On centrecabs they flex to much. That is Oz boats and US boats when you get in the sh#t. It leads to all sorts of fittings falling off, screws coming out etc. and then it cracks any SS or alloy work coming off the glass. That is my experience. Even for Grady Whites and stuff. Also the Signature had terrible storage. HHs have a heap more storage by comparison. Any thin sided thing is going to have minimal storage and then you are going to feel like two sardines sitting side by side in any centre cab compared to the width available in a half cab. The 2301 Striper wasn't too squishy sitting side by side, though it is overwidth, but then you could never have anyone fish up the front. Most of them are just for going up the front and dealing with the anchor and stuff. No advantage to a true half cab and more disadvantages. Are you into sneaking up on tuna schools and throwing slugs? That is the only time I hate cabin boats and a CC would be an advantage.

tropicrows
30-08-2012, 12:35 PM
Long but enjoyable reading. Sadly I think its a reflection of a lot of Sales areas in Aust not just the marine industry. You only have to go into a some of the larger retail stores and try and get some assistance.

Back In Black
30-08-2012, 12:42 PM
Dave,Dave,Dave-you are obviously expecting too much!! NOT. I hear you loud & clear- I cannot believe in these very hard economic times that when someone contacts you & is obviously serious, they are ignored. If I ran my business like that I'd go broke in a heart beat, but the sheer ignorance & arrogance of some business' defies belief. Don't start me on product knowledge. Had a recent experience where my father in law bought a Audi 5 Coupe. Salesman was rabbiting on about fuel consumption, the fact it must run only on premium blah blah blah & I'm at the back of the car reading 3.0TDI
Unbelievable!!
Tony

PinHead
30-08-2012, 01:09 PM
Perhaps some personal visits to dealers instead of emails may get better results. I would not be giving quotes via email if I was a dealer .

They may be like me..the 2 worst creations made by man and the 2 biggest time wasters of productivity..mobile phone and email.

kizza1
30-08-2012, 01:23 PM
As i work for one of the dealers you approached i would just like to clear up a few things in the post above.

The first contact that was an email on the wednesday night (930) before the brisbane boat show. As we were away at the brisbane boat show representing another brand we sell we didnt see the email till monday morning when we arrived back.
the email was one sentence "Just wondering if you have any /// centre consoles in stock that I could look at?"
there was a return email tuesday morning (clearing a backlog of emails from the boatshow)in the email we appologised for the late response explaining we were at the show and stating that we didnt have the model requested in stock however we had a model either side of that.
we went further and checked with the factory if they were building one and offered a factory tour.

an email came back wednesday (yesterday 1130am) saying that you had been to the brisbane boat show and that you had been trying to sell your boat and had not much interest. in the email we recieved there was no request for a trade in /changeover price.
you stated in the email you werent impressed with the original boat you were enquiring about.
we replied (3hrs later) with a flyer outlining another option for you (as requested) and said to feel free to contact us once your boat sells.

Maybe there is some communication issues here. if you are still interested in a trade in price on the particular model please feel free to contact us again.

scrotty
30-08-2012, 02:33 PM
Hey guys, i tend to agree with the above posts. I am a sunnycoast local and have visited my local dealers many times to both look and recently to buy a boat. After looking for approx 6-8 months i can only remember speaking to a sales person on one occassion! After walking around their display area's many times and trying to attract attention only to walk out frustrated and pissed off. I certainly wont go looking for service when i am spending $80,000. Needless to say i did not buy local and the local guys miss another sale. From my experience it certainly seems to be common in the marine industry!

fishing111
30-08-2012, 02:45 PM
Customer service is the be all and end all to a sale for me. If someone starts blurting off bullshit to me i don't confront them or pull them up, i just take my cash elsewhere, simple as that, and on those odd occasions where i have been caught out i make dam sure to never spend another cent in there business.

astro66
30-08-2012, 04:21 PM
most of the sunnycoast boat shops are usless....only want to know you if you are spending >50k...
went into one to price all the parts to convert my merc to forward controls was given a 670$ price by the OWNER....droped in the next day to order the parts and was told that it wouldnt be under 2.5k and when i pointed out the owner gave me a price of 670$ i was told "how would he know" so out the door i went to port o call boating (same street as the other wankers)....total cost 500$ and the owner was nice enough to measure all the steering/control cables for me...

charleville
30-08-2012, 04:32 PM
As kizza1 might suggest, there are always two sides to any story. Nonetheless, there are way too many "order takers" in Australia and not enough true professional sales people.

Any boofhead can take orders in good times but even in those times the best sales people are hungry for the sale and they achieve it by offering the best service. In the bad times, the duds don't survive. More "order takers" need to do some basic sales training and get some mentoring by the top guys in their industry to see how they do it.

The best of the best are always looking to achieve continuity of hot sales referrals and they are only earned with stunning service. Price is in the mix but not always the critical element.

Kero
30-08-2012, 04:40 PM
I have had dissapointing experiences at some Brisbane dealers also. Stopped by one on the Southside while I was in between jobs. Now I was the only customer in the place and even after walking between a boat and the office several times, nobody wanted to offer any time. Even, very deliberately, looking through the window at them didn't prompt a response. My ute was parked inside their yard (couldn't miss me) so after 30mins drove out again. I wont be back!

IcyDuck
30-08-2012, 05:13 PM
Wow 30 minutes Leigh. That's unbelievable. You could have nearly bought one in that time.

Most businesses have to deal with tyre kickers and time wasting customers and I expect even more so with boat yards. I know I have spent my fair share of time "just browsing". However, it only takes a salesman 30 seconds to check if a potential customer needs any help. A good salesman will actually see it as an opportunity. Maybe not now, but later on, that tyre kicker could become a paying customer. With all this so-called competition from the web and overseas you would think that the business would using their physical presence to its' advantage whenever it could. I would think that getting customers in the front door was half the battle.

Phone and email enquiries can't be ignored either. It is what customers expect now and it is only going to increase in volume with newer generations. That's why a business has phone numbers, email addresses and pays for advertising.

I've done my fair share of trade shows in my industry and I know how "full on" and draining they can be. However, you can't afford to have emails unanswered for days. Customers don't care why you are busy and the expectations on response time have dramatically shortened these days. I regularly have to respond to emails out of hours and with the technology options available, there is no excuse to not have access to all your communication methods whenever and where-ever you are.

I bought my last 2 cars and last boat all via telephone and email. The only time I went to the dealerships was to sign the paperwork and pick them up. I did my research and worked out what I wanted then hit the phone. Anyone who showed little interest in helping me was crossed off the list.

I agree that there is always 2 sides to a story, and a lot in between. Good communication requires both parties to be clear. However, today's businesses have to do their best to not give any excuse to let a potential customer move on to a competitor.

Cheers,
Phil

Tickleish
30-08-2012, 05:21 PM
A couple of years ago I bought a used Haines Sig from Coastal Power Boats of Daren ( Boatboy). I'd been looking for months and had watched this boat for a while, so I sent an inquiry form from there add which he replied to first thing in the morning and I drove down to have a look. Darren didn't bullsh:t me just answered my questions and was very proffesional.

I made an offer that was well under what they where asking but said thats all I've got and to make the offer to the owner(on consignment). He had to sell it to the owner but he did and I got my boat which I took home a few days later after they had changed the wheeel bearings and did a few other things.

Now I'm looking to upgrade soon and will definatly be going back to him for a chat.

Their are a few good guys out there.

MudRiverDan
30-08-2012, 05:24 PM
I don't know a lot about boats, but I am guessing these guys are used to a boom market.
Buyers willing to splash out for that great boat they always wanted are thinning on the ground these days and by what you have posted, the sales people are out of touch with what it means to buy something that represents you and serves your needs and also looks the goods.

Either that or they have lost the market and have lost enthusiasm, it sure sounds like they lack motivation.

I have read about businesses of all types (real estate being one) opening up in these sort of situations to cater for a niche market of customers that are not really being treated the
way they should be.

In my opinion these guys need to work on a factory floor for a few years, then they might appreciate the meaning of buying a boat.

Dan

Andy56
30-08-2012, 05:27 PM
After buying two boats over the last 4 yrs, i can concure that thats the industry alright! I bought the first from a reputable dealer and it was great service, even champane on pickup. The second boat felt like I was dealing with a smiling devil, lol. I would have bought from the first dealer again only they didn't stock the boat I wanted, they had their own brand.
I also emailed, rang and got left behind. Salesmen should assume everyone will buy and expect few hits. THATS THEIR JOB

Gon Fishun
30-08-2012, 05:40 PM
Left school at 15 and started work in a bulders hardware in Greythorn Vic.
First lessons, among many, were the customer is always right and shut up and listen. Still adhere as close as possible to these and appears to be working.:D

hino310
30-08-2012, 06:29 PM
Left school at 15 and started work in a bulders hardware in Greythorn Vic.
First lessons, among many, were the customer is always right and shut up and listen. Still adhere as close as possible to these and appears to be working.:D

Shit,small world. I went to Greythorn High school.

Dicktracey
30-08-2012, 07:09 PM
To be honest if I tweeted "How ever you do that" or posted a thread every time I got poor sales service I wouldn't leave my PC.
I can understand your frustration but would you of gone out of your way to blow smoke up the arse of a dealer that gave you what you wanted for a trade and had the boat that they should of had in stock for you ? No offense intended :)
In the last 8 mths I have bought a 2nd hand boat then traded it on a new one, First dealer i bought 2nd hand boat off couldn't of been happier with service so I went back to them to buy new. They got back to me 2 weeks after I did the deal on current Tub.Went to a number of dealers in Brisbane asking advice and demos I may as well of had 2 heads.
Found myself down the Coast at coastal power boats got a trade price subject to valuation "next day" picked up boat 2 weeks later.
One dealer is nth Bris even told me I had bought the best Glass boat on market when I called to say thanks but no thanks.
At the end of the day my wallet did the posting, I change Motor bikes most times before I pay the rego as it's easier to do than change the sticker ;) You think you have issues with the boating industry ? The motorcycle industry has its head so far up its own arse with 2 corporations owning over 50% of the brisbane dealerships. I buy Dirt Bikes at Dalby Moto & my last road bike was at Noosa Ducati.

Its your own money to spend where you wish, ask your self the question if this is the service you get before they have your money what will it be like after wards ?
Cheers
Dick

FisHard
30-08-2012, 07:27 PM
Whilst we are all on a whinge, I've got a 2010 model MAN truck that cost me $250k. It split a radiator hose and it took 2 weeks and 2 days for the dealer to get one from Germany. They don't keep them in stock in Australia. Can you believe that?! The worst part is, they don't give a 5hit about my time off the road, or the stress of worrying about it. Insert swear words here.

Gon Fishun
30-08-2012, 07:36 PM
Shit,small world. I went to Greythorn High school.
Yep started at Greythorn Timber and Hardware in Greythorn Rd about 1965. Lived in Lower Templestowe.

fisho8
30-08-2012, 07:37 PM
I have bought my 2 boats from Northside Marine and have been happy on both occasions. I still go down to see the guys there and they always give me their time I stop in once every 3 weeks and have a coffee there and talk to thy guys that are on I even go fishing with one of the salesman every now and then. One good thing as they do not push sales down there they just give you all the info and let you make the decision and then work with you when you have made your mind up. I did speak to 2 southside dealers and another Northside dealer which is now broke when I was looking for my second boat and most just did not want to know you or just gave you a brochure and said give me a ring if you are interested were not interested in going for a water test or showing you anything about what you were interested in buying. I guess that is why the aussie market in now competeing with overseas now and is on a very slow downward spiral. Only the most enthusiastic and strongest are going to survive in this industry IMO. If you offer shit service want a rediculous amount of money for a basic BMT trailer package when you can get a bigger boat for half the price overseas it is not too hard to figure out why people are shopping outside OZ. Sad but true.

Dicktracey
30-08-2012, 07:40 PM
Whilst we are all on a whinge, I've got a 2010 model MAN truck that cost me $250k. It split a radiator hose and it took 2 weeks and 2 days for the dealer to get one from Germany. They don't keep them in stock in Australia. Can you believe that?! The worst part is, they don't give a 5hit about my time off the road, or the stress of worrying about it. Insert swear words here.
If you get stuck again mate buy a length of exhaust pipe & mandrel bend dohnut "Complete Circle you can cut bends out of" That together with some silicon hose and super T Clamps will replace 99% of radiator hoses on the market.I use to carry standard sizes in service truck out west for breakdowns, Use stainless pipe for permanent replacement.
cheers
Dick

FisHard
30-08-2012, 07:57 PM
If you get stuck again mate buy a length of exhaust pipe & mandrel bend dohnut "Complete Circle you can cut bends out of" That together with some silicon hose and super T Clamps will replace 99% of radiator hoses on the market.I use to carry standard sizes in service truck out west for breakdowns, Use stainless pipe for permanent replacement.
cheers
Dick

Mate, thanks for the tip, but I'm a mechanical muppet, so I upgrade my gear often and try to buy the best available for the chosen task. I expect the company I buy from to support me. Sadly disapointed at the moment.

bigjimg
30-08-2012, 09:51 PM
I tend to find out about things before I go looking.More often than not I will know more about the product than the salesman.I personally don't like shadows and would prefer to be left alone.I knpw what i want and if it doesn't suit i just walk away.If i want to know anything in particular that i am not aware of i know where to find the floor staff.Jim

fat-buoy
31-08-2012, 09:04 AM
Last year I went to the boat show and was interested in the Yalta 1800... got the dealers business card and went home and did some maths on what I could afford to buy as a package and what I would want to do myself etc..

Emailed the Gold Coast dealer and that all went well and got a ballpark figure .. tried to drill down on the price and finance and everything seemed to go downhill... It felt as though the salesman put me in the too hard basket after 2 emails and 1 phone call.. I live on the Sunny Coast so wanted to get all the initial stuff out of the way before committing.. I had even contacted the boat builder directly and satisfied myself on the construction tequniques etc.

Bottom line is they didn't seem all that interested in selling me a new boat ... so I saved close to $20k in my back pocket and bought a Haines Signature that was 3 years old a couple of months later instead.

I tell this story because they basically had my money.. I was ready to buy and yet they missed out on a sale because the salesperson was not willing to sell me a boat. I was thinking that if that was my business I would have been ropable. In their mind I was probably a time waster because I asked questions (very basic questions mind you) but in my mind I was ready to part with some cash.

Noelm
31-08-2012, 09:23 AM
I started a thread similar to this (sort of) from what I have heard here, either the QLD boat dealers are doing so well they don't need your business, or they need to go to some customer service training, I have 4 dealers within around 20min drive from me, the closest one, Honda/Stacer dealer is very good, but does not keep a huge range of "bits and pieces" but their customer service is excellent, another one, Mercury/Savage dealer has a great range of bits and pieces, and I go there all the time, the guys know me, and if they dont have something, they write it in the order book while I am there, give me an anticipated delivery date, that is usually pretty good, they do not say, "it will be a week" but never order it, they will say "be 3 days if in stock" and they ring in the 3 days to tell me it is either there, or on backorder, I have a few mates that have bought boats from both places, and both have delivered what they promised, in the time frame promised, after sales experience was good, any problems were sorted ASAP, I would get my boat serviced/fixed at either place with confidence, the other two dealers Quintrex/Yamaha and BRP/Haines Hunter I do not go to very often, mainly because they are the furthest away and the two near me can usually offer what I want with out the extra 10-15min drive, but I don't hear too many bad words about them either, I guess in a way, I am lucky to have that so close to me.

Goldfinch
31-08-2012, 09:25 AM
Fat Buoy...You just hit the nail square on the head. Rule No.1 in sales...qualify your customer!!!! Don't tell them, ask them.

Last year I went to the boat show and was interested in the Yalta 1800... got the dealers business card and went home and did some maths on what I could afford to buy as a package and what I would want to do myself etc..

Emailed the Gold Coast dealer and that all went well and got a ballpark figure .. tried to drill down on the price and finance and everything seemed to go downhill... It felt as though the salesman put me in the too hard basket after 2 emails and 1 phone call.. I live on the Sunny Coast so wanted to get all the initial stuff out of the way before committing.. I had even contacted the boat builder directly and satisfied myself on the construction tequniques etc.

Bottom line is they didn't seem all that interested in selling me a new boat ... so I saved close to $20k in my back pocket and bought a Haines Signature that was 3 years old a couple of months later instead.

I tell this story because they basically had my money.. I was ready to buy and yet they missed out on a sale because the salesperson was not willing to sell me a boat. I was thinking that if that was my business I would have been ropable. In their mind I was probably a time waster because I asked questions (very basic questions mind you) but in my mind I was ready to part with some cash.

liltuffy
31-08-2012, 12:26 PM

I think your only mistake was dealing with a gold coast based company. I've dealt with three gold coast company's over the last twelve months and vow never again.

uripper
31-08-2012, 01:20 PM
I have just purchased a 7 year old Haines Hunter boat, Johnson/Suzuki engine and Dunbier trailer. Individually each are (generally speaking) quality products.

It SEEMS that the retail dealer (one of the biggest in Sydney) has slapped this package together and shunted it out the door ASAP ... e.g. the battery switch was mounted horizontally on the FLOOR behind a transom seat !!... so that it got wet by any water draining from the main deck !!! Other MINOR fit out issues involving positioning and installation of items further illustrate a low care factor.

The MAJOR ISSUE though, was that the trailer has NEVER BEEN FITTED TO THE HULL PROPERLY !!! This resulted in numerous frustrating experiences for the previous owner (since new) launching and retrieving. Granted he may not have been a seasoned 'boatie', but when you spend $80k+ on a rig, it is reasonable to expect it will work properly, efficiently and smoothly. But no, it was a DOG setup. Ultimately these factors combined to result in damage to both boat keel & trailer rollers … and a decreasing use by a disillusioned owner who finally liquidated the outfit 'as is'.
My point is this …. as others have already indicated, the retail end of our marine industry can sometimes leave a lot to be desired, yet there are many that are absolutely first-class. ;) ;)

Maybe it's also like any other supply chain in that as retail customers we need to do our home work to seek out those who are reputable.

It is through forums such as this that we maybe can highlight the "good guys" … rather than whinge about the bad ones?

Mal

nigelr
31-08-2012, 03:40 PM
Good point Mal, certainly talking up the good ones is a great idea, but if nobody whinged about the bad ones, how would we know which ones to avoid?
And speaking of good ones, thankfully my local, North Coast Boating Centre, is a ripper. Great work and service at a great price; they are winning quite a bit of business from those that are less competitive....

MudRiverDan
31-08-2012, 04:08 PM

Wow that is incredibly bad.

I have worked with a lot of drivers and two weeks off the road is a lot of lost money, even lost contracts.

They should have had it flown express , 2-3 days.

I am a bit off topic.

Dan

FisHard
31-08-2012, 04:37 PM
Wow that is incredibly bad.

I have worked with a lot of drivers and two weeks off the road is a lot of lost money, even lost contracts.

They should have had it flown express , 2-3 days.

Dan

You're not wrong Dan! It arrived on Wednesday morning and I was supposed to get it fitted then, but they didn't unpack the shipment, so I had to wait another day. Care factor of MAN: 0 Frustration factor for me: 1000000000
On a positive note (and more marine related) I've had excellent service from Wallrock Marine in Sydney and also pretty happy with Wynnum Marine with the work they did on my Seafarer and its old Evinrudes.
Personally, I wouldn't be involved in the boating industry for quids! Anyone who's sold a boat privately, can attest to the mobs of daydreamers and downright losers, that you have to deal with! Its hard to sort the wheat from the chaff, so to speak.

Andy56
31-08-2012, 06:07 PM
Crikey, I have two neighbors on this site! Guys, I am in Bulleen!

Almako
31-08-2012, 06:55 PM
Just a few words

1. Just because there is a boat show that is no excuse to not respond to a potential customer quickly, 3 days is 3 days to late. After all isn't that why your attending the boat show, to find customers.
2. I just can't forget the story from one of Richard Branson's books, something like but not exactly; to succeed I picked up every phone call no matter what time of day.
3. (On another topic) In my opinion I just don't understand why we are paying these huge sums of money for substandard boats. What I mean by that is I don't understand why boats aren't like cars, why don't they come with everything to start with. I mean why do we have to buy extras like radios etc. When you buy a car it's just all there isn't it? The friggin back seat and side comings in my boat was an optional extra for christ sake.
4. Maybe the quicker China picks up on this the better (bring on mass production). Never thought I'd say that!!
5. The service I have received from buying from the states has been second to none. Delivery quicker than local, online tracking systems, perfectly packaged, payment/insurance systems in place etc etc. I have worked and currently work for a massive Australian company and all of these companies would struggle to offer anywhere near the service that I have received from US.

That's my rant!! :)

TopBhoy
31-08-2012, 07:14 PM
Just a few words

1. Just because there is a boat show that is no excuse to not respond to a potential customer quickly, 3 days is 3 days to late. After all isn't that why your attending the boat show, to find customers.
2. I just can't forget the story from one of Richard Branson's books, something like but not exactly; to succeed I picked up every phone call no matter what time of day.
3. (On another topic) In my opinion I just don't understand why we are paying these huge sums of money for substandard boats. What I mean by that is I don't understand why boats aren't like cars, why don't they come with everything to start with. I mean why do we have to buy extras like radios etc. When you buy a car it's just all there isn't it? The friggin back seat and side comings in my boat was an optional extra for christ sake.
4. Maybe the quicker China picks up on this the better (bring on mass production). Never thought I'd say that!!
5. The service I have received from buying from the states has been second to none. Delivery quicker than local, online tracking systems, perfectly packaged, payment/insurance systems in place etc etc. I have worked and currently work for a massive Australian company and all of these companies would struggle to offer anywhere near the service that I have received from US.

That's my rant!! :)
Providing the customer is informed at the time that a phone, email or internet enquiry is made that it will be dealt with on return to the office after the boat show then that is surely sufficient. To expect anything else is unrealistic. Boat shows are expensive enough for companies and I can only imagine that the people who would be able to properly answer any enquiry would be busy at the boat show. Imagine the outcry if someone was given an incorrect answer by the Saturday shop assistant with no real intimate knowledge of every boat spec, options, pricing, etc. Is a 3 day delay in receiving an answer (from a relatively small company) deserve to be castigated when the initial decision probably took several weeks to decide upon; not in my book.

ozynorts
31-08-2012, 07:38 PM
I can understand that during the boat show they are busy. Why not put on an auto reply on the email system stating that they are busy with the show, your call/email is important and we will respond within x number of days. The customer is aware of the dealer being busy, and has a time frame to work with for contact.

Almako
31-08-2012, 07:56 PM
I still think the point is being missed completely. You have customer wanting to buy something, but there's no salesman on site to make a sale. Instead your all at the boat show standing around twiddling your thumbs, trust me i've been there.

stevemid
31-08-2012, 08:36 PM
I was in sales for 30 years. It seems to me the the worse things get in a company or industry, the more they NEED sales, the less sales support you get. It seems like salespeople lose hope. They tend to see walk-ins and enquiries as tyre kickers and time wasters. This is especially true with experienced reps. It's best to search out a trainee or beginner who is to dumb to know that "it cant be done."

slider65
31-08-2012, 08:39 PM
I don't think all dealers are like that, Last week i down loaded the brochure from the manufacturer of a 5.35 & 5.75 meter plate alloy center console i was interested in. Within 5 hours i got a phone call for the sales manager of the boat company which is located in Melbourne, Were we talked about what i was looking for and what setup i wanted. And within 4 hours of that phone call i received a email from my local boat yard who also happens to be the local dealer for this brand of boat with full quoted pricing on the 2 models i was interested in with the exact setup i had spoken to the sales manager about earlier.

Kero
01-09-2012, 09:40 AM
I don't think all dealers are like that, Last week i down loaded the brochure from the manufacturer of a 5.35 & 5.75 meter plate alloy center console i was interested in. Within 5 hours i got a phone call for the sales manager of the boat company which is located in Melbourne, Were we talked about what i was looking for and what setup i wanted. And within 4 hours of that phone call i received a email from my local boat yard who also happens to be the local dealer for this brand of boat with full quoted pricing on the 2 models i was interested in with the exact setup i had spoken to the sales manager about earlier.

That's not just good service, it's how all customers should be treated, all the time. Sadly, not all businesses work this way and it's disheartening for the customer.
As a business owner, I always listen to what my customer wants, display enthusiasm & honesty, all the while trying to be as prompt as possible. If all of this is done, all the time, then at least you can tell yourself (sale or not) that you tried to please. Sometimes you win, sometimes you don't, but it sure helps the cause when some effort is put into it.