PDA

View Full Version : Car topper fishing Cardwell

BillB
29-08-2012, 07:33 PM
Hello everyone,
I was thinking of stopping at Cardwell, North Queensland in late October early November to do a bit of fishing out of my 12 foot car topper. Are there enough fishing spots at that time within the limitations of the car topper to make the stop worthwhile? What are the winds likely to be at that time of the year? What are the target fish likely to be?
Cheers,
Bill

whiteman
30-08-2012, 02:00 PM
The crocs don't even show up until they are at least 12' long in the Channel so I wouldn't venture too far ...

Winds? ... who knows. Target fish? ... barra ... hard to cast sitting down (I have an 11' boat for small creeks around my place) but not impossible. You would be better to castnet live mullet/prawns on a gap hook and throw them in likely places. Where? ... the cardwell boat ramp and immediate surrounds can be good for barra, cod and bream and if you stay in these parts wind and crocs shouldn't be a problem but there will be boat traffic. You can fish this area from the grassy banks as well.

Haji-Baba
31-08-2012, 06:50 PM
BillB

There is a ramp about 25-30 ks South of Cardwell at Fisheries or Fishers Creek.

It can be a good safe?? fishing spot but only try to launch or retrieve at half tide.

Also be pretty sure of your way home back to the ramp the channels can be confusing.

Have a look on Google Earth the ramp is only about 150 meters off the main Highway.

My wife and I got some good crabs there and a couple of nice fish. All on the troll very close to the mangroves.

Worth a look if you are in that area.

Have Fun Haji-Baba

Haji-Baba
31-08-2012, 07:14 PM
Billb

The turn off to the Fisheries ramp is at 18 27 26s. 146 08 54e.

We got good fish at 18 26 42s. 146 10 48e.

There is another very good river, 15ks' ??? North of Cardwell, The Murray River.
I would suggest that a 12 footer is the absolute minimum boat to go there. Some big handbags and very isolated.

Take two boats and be very careful at the ramp??????

Turn right at Bilyana rest area and follow the road down.

Dirt/gravel ramp and very deep off the end, take care.

Got a hell of a fright there some years ago but all a learning experience.

Have a mate as two cars/4x4s' would be safer.

I don't think my wife would go back but I would like to give it another go.

Again, Have a look on Google

Have Fun Haji-Baba