Spoon1337
26-08-2012, 08:30 PM
Isnt it all tweed bait?

shy guys
26-08-2012, 08:52 PM
All pillies are pretty crap inless you get them fresh from trawler

fat-buoy
27-08-2012, 08:17 AM
I have resisted buying BCF bait for years and it has only been recently that I have started to buy the pillies and squid... these two at least seem pretty much standard and the pillies in particular have appeared to be in good condition (Maroochydore store).

Nothing worse than paying a crap load of $$ for pillies only to find they are soft and fall from the hook..

Fish_gutz
27-08-2012, 09:30 AM
If your in Brissy tower bait and tackle@manly have 15 kilo boxes for $65-$70 , if you have freezer space to put them in it`s well worth it to grab a box. Toni will open the boxes for you to check them for size etc. good value if you do the math if you were to by a 2kg block every time you go out. they have always been great quality and are IQF . cheers Andrew

Muddy Toes
27-08-2012, 09:37 AM
Or one better is to just get them from the supplier.

Brisbane Fisherman's Co-Op have 15kg boxes of IQF pillies for $50.00.
If you've got the freezer room to put them into snap lock bags for future use then you'd be hard pressed finding them much cheaper.
Same as their whole bait range really.

http://www.brisbanefish.com.au/bait-products.html

wayno60
27-08-2012, 09:55 AM
If your bcf is a pretty busy one where they turn over a shit load of bait they should have a fresh range of bait all the time.... not so busy in the bait dept = not so fresh.

pipifin
27-08-2012, 10:07 AM
I would say it is better quality than most servos.... it gets turned over quicker.... at least that's the way I look at it.
Keep an eye out for "sardines" at Coles. I snapped up 10kg last time at $3.99kg. The fishy dude behind the counter asked how I was going to prepare them, and I told him gang hooks.... think that confused him a bit.
Was a bargain though 5-6 bucks for like 200g from a servo. I get a lot of bait from the supermarket now. Prawns are cheaper (and better), fresh(ish) mullet fillets, whole mullet etc.

Cheech
27-08-2012, 12:26 PM
Muddy, those prices are pretty good. Have you used the mullet? I need some for 1770 and the 10kg box looks to be a good price.

If you've got the freezer room to put them into snap lock bags for future use then you'd be hard pressed finding them much cheaper.

Muddy Toes
27-08-2012, 12:37 PM
Yeah I have mate.......obviously not as good as fresh fillets but for frozen they're not too bad.if I can get fresh I always do but they're IQF pillies and Californian squid are spot on.

marto78
27-08-2012, 01:17 PM
Yeah I have mate.......obviously not as good as fresh fillets but for frozen they're not too bad.if I can get fresh I always do but they're IQF pillies and Californian squid are spot on.

Hey Muddy when buying the mullet fillets have you been paying $33/carton as stated on the price list?

The cheeky bugger always stings me $55 as in the delivery price, but the 15kg pillies are usually around $60.

Muddy Toes
27-08-2012, 01:46 PM
Yeah mate......always paid the buy price and never the rrp.I honestly don't think they know what price they put on stuff and just make it up as they go and work out the cash in his trouser pocket cash register.:-X

mattttty
27-08-2012, 06:52 PM

Hey what's the best pilles to get from these guys there are a few choices cheers

Muddy Toes
27-08-2012, 07:02 PM
I just buy a 15Kg box of WA PILCHARDS IQF and put them into snap lock bags or as of late into cryovac bags.They're really good quality pillies, nice and firm when they do thaw out.

marto78
27-08-2012, 07:54 PM
Hey what's the best pilles to get from these guys there are a few choices cheers

Stay away from the Indo pillies nothing eats the bloody things in QLD, the WA ones are top quality IMO.

mattttty
27-08-2012, 07:57 PM
Thanks for the help

thriller
28-08-2012, 02:22 AM
I bet if there freezer has issues they will just sell it anyway. just a guess

SUPERDAFF
28-08-2012, 08:35 PM
"...gang hooks" ... Great line that put a smile on my face

i would say it is better quality than most servos.... It gets turned over quicker.... At least that's the way i look at it.
Keep an eye out for "sardines" at coles. I snapped up 10kg last time at $3.99kg. The fishy dude behind the counter asked how i was going to prepare them, and i told him gang hooks.... Think that confused him a bit.
Was a bargain though 5-6 bucks for like 200g from a servo. I get a lot of bait from the supermarket now. Prawns are cheaper (and better), fresh(ish) mullet fillets, whole mullet etc.

thelump
28-08-2012, 08:59 PM

Oi MT are the 10kg mullet fillets easy to separate or are they just a frozen clump? Great link too mate. Cheers

Muddy Toes
28-08-2012, 11:44 PM
Nar Macca.......there's a layer of fillets in the box then a layer of plastic, layer of fillets then a layer of plastic and so forth for the rest of the box so they don't get stuck together.

theoldlegend
29-08-2012, 06:19 AM
Can you remember if the layers of plastic are on top of the fillets or underneath them Anthony? :-?

TOL

Muddy Toes
29-08-2012, 07:18 AM
On top....

Actually no, the plastic is below.

Ummmm....it's definitely on top.

Dunno really.....it's probably on both sides.

Which came first?The plastic or the fillet?:-?

sid_fishes
29-08-2012, 07:56 AM
Muddy, why dont you organise a bulk buy for your pilly,s and squid. he was offering a deal for anybody for a 10 box buy. and buy your squid in the flat 10 kg pack $35.00 per box

sid_fishes
29-08-2012, 07:57 AM
plus ive got a couple of freezers for sale as well

Muddy Toes
29-08-2012, 08:03 AM
How much for the freezers Ian.....can you PM me please.

MEG-A-BITE
29-08-2012, 08:04 AM
Do you have to get the bait delivered or can you collect it ?

Muddy Toes
29-08-2012, 08:06 AM
You can just collect it.

marto78
29-08-2012, 08:20 AM
Now I know why you get the cheaper price MT its because you drum up all this extra business for them.

I bet old Luc doesn't even yell down the phone at you. :P

MEG-A-BITE
29-08-2012, 08:23 AM
You guys that know 1770, what bait do you recommend we take with us for the trip next month?

Muddy Toes
29-08-2012, 08:55 AM
Now I know why you get the cheaper price MT its because you drum up all this extra business for them.

I bet old Luc doesn't even yell down the phone at you. :P

It's probably because I look like Tony too.::)

He's still got that delightful phone manner with me though.

Mick77
31-08-2012, 06:41 AM
Gents

I went in for a look yesterday and they had no IQF squid or WA pillies in stock.

Mullet was 55 per 10kg, good size squid(food grade) was 7.5 per kg min 5kg and the gar they have is the same cyovac bags that iceworks and a few others sell.

Muddy, whats the chance a doing a wholsesale group buy for us gweilo's

Muddy Toes
31-08-2012, 07:36 AM
Pretty slim sorry mate......

I've got all my bait for the M&G and I'm just not going to get the time to go down there before I leave.

zài jiàn

thelump
31-08-2012, 08:37 AM
Wow not only am I learning more about fishing but with the aid of google I am starting to learn some new languages too!;D

Noelm
31-08-2012, 08:53 AM
I kind of see this QLD bait thing and realise how different fishing is in different parts of the country, here in NSW, Mullet is almost a last resort bait, Tuna (Stripy and Mac) would make up the bulk of self obtained bait, and Pilchards would make up the bulk of purchased bait, you guys have Mac Tuna at your fingertips, yet spend a fortune on looking for and paying for "store bought" bait, is Mullet so much better for you? or is it just a kind of tradition? not trying to start some sort of State fishing/bait war or anything, it is just an observation. We all need to buy bait at some time or another, but we get enough Stripies, Slimies, Yellowtail (if their your thing) Bonito and god knows what else to cover our bait needs most of the time, Pilchards are of course purchased, not too many catch their own pillies. I forgot, Squid is not all that popular either, Servos sell a bit to the "tourists" fishos, we do use a bit of Cuttle Fish in the winter when they are common though.

Charlie
31-08-2012, 03:25 PM
As a kid growing up in NSW mullet was always our first choice in bait before the WA pillies took over the market, I guess the fishing got tougher and over time we went for the pillies bait and burley system. Pilchards are targeted a bit around Sydney, mostly for the table but worthwhile going out as a livie as well.

Boat Hog
31-08-2012, 05:30 PM
I think it has a lot to do with the availability of the bait?

Something about all those QLD beach haulers on Nrthn NSW beaches might also explain it!! :-X

Muddy Toes
31-08-2012, 07:47 PM
For me the mullet wins hands down just on the premise that when salted down it stays on the hook much longer than the rest when the pickers are about.
Mac tuna and pillies always gets the most attention but you don't get many chances with it if the fish doesn't take it down.

wags on the water
31-08-2012, 09:53 PM
I just buy a 15Kg box of WA PILCHARDS IQF and put them into snap lock bags or as of late into cryovac bags.They're really good quality pillies, nice and firm when they do thaw out.

Can't you just throw them into your luggage when you fly home????

Muddy Toes
31-08-2012, 10:08 PM
And for the ironic part of it all.......they don't even call them pilchards over here, they call em bloody mulies!!!!

Weirdos!!!