PDA

View Full Version : Sailfish Cats honest review wanted please

Captain Seaweed
26-08-2012, 01:35 PM
Hello Gents,

As some of you may know and some may even be sick of hearing about.....I am still looking for a new boat!!! I have been interested in cats as I havnt owned one before and really want to cross that off the list one day. It is very hard to find honest reviews on boats as your normally dealing with peoples pride and joy and normally an expensive investment but if your not prepared to publish your opinion, please pm me as I am doing some research and need to know from first hand experience please.

I am looking at the 7m-8m Sailfish cats as well as glass cats like to Kevlacat at the moment here are some questions I have...
-Much difference between a glass and plate cat when comparing same size?
-Any reviews or bad habits on the Sailfish cats?

Thanks in advance guys..

Cheers
Marty

fisho8
26-08-2012, 03:33 PM
Go a KC Marty you won't regret it mate I mate of mine has a 3000 Sportfisher with Twin 300 Zuks on it. I would own one in a heartbeat if I could afford it. The ride was awsome.

Blindfreddy
26-08-2012, 03:52 PM
Captain SW, have you researched Voyager cats?

http://voyagercats.com.au/voyager-range/v625-sportfish/reviews/

http://voyagercats.com.au/voyager-range/v930-sports-2/general-details/

I'm sure these would be right up your alley - family vessel - mothership - V625 fishing platform.

Captain Seaweed
26-08-2012, 07:23 PM
I fear they may be a bit small Freddy? I really think 7-8m is up my alley

Captain Seaweed
26-08-2012, 07:28 PM
just saw the 2nd link...now its too big!!!!

hard to make a choice

Chimo
26-08-2012, 08:34 PM
Hi Marty

Check this out http://www.yachtandboat.com.au/pdfexport/listing_13696.pdf

Lots of scope to make it what you want, extend hard top, new motors, nicer wheels etc and its big but not too big (probably)

Cheers
Chimo

Lovey80
26-08-2012, 10:17 PM
I am always looking for something to beat my future dream boat. The 2685 Glacier Bay hard top. Nothing in Australia comes close IMO.

Blindfreddy
27-08-2012, 05:31 AM
I fear they may be a bit small Freddy? I really think 7-8m is up my alley

just saw the 2nd link...now its too big!!!!

hard to make a choice

Geez it's hard to please some people....::)::)::)

Captain Seaweed
27-08-2012, 05:54 AM
I am always looking for something to beat my future dream boat. The 2685 Glacier Bay hard top. Nothing in Australia comes close IMO.

I agree 100% they are awesome especially with the full enclosed windscreen also. I may start to look at import side of things again.

Captain Seaweed
27-08-2012, 05:57 AM
Hi Marty

Check this out http://www.yachtandboat.com.au/pdfexport/listing_13696.pdf

Lots of scope to make it what you want, extend hard top, new motors, nicer wheels etc and its big but not too big (probably)

Cheers
Chimo

thanks Chimo, thats a great project boat!!

perko
27-08-2012, 06:44 AM
I have owned a few cats and have had a kc2400 and a 6 meter sailfish. The kc killed the sailfish for ride. Sailfish killed the kc for towing and cost of running. I would own both of them again in a heartbeat. Never been in a 7 meter cat but they reckon they get even better once they get a bigger beam than 2.5 and more length. Lots of good kc3000 on the market.

Captain Seaweed
27-08-2012, 08:19 AM
Thanks Perko

bugman
27-08-2012, 08:49 AM
Marty,

Have you looked at US Cats - a slightly different concept with many being semi-displacement but worth the investigation. Obviously I'm biased with my Grady but Glacier Bays are certainly worth a look.

Brett

Captain Seaweed
27-08-2012, 08:52 AM
Hi Brett,
I am looking at a Glacier Bay coastal 2680 as we speak!!!! I think the towing is around 4.1T so I am weighing up my options and tending that way. The value for money is great. Thanks mate!!!

Back In Black
27-08-2012, 09:05 AM
Marty,
I've got an 8.4m Sailfish & can't fault it. Saying that, I'm not experienced only having it for 18 months & haven't been in a KC. Tow it easy with a Touareg V8. Gav (Hookinin) comes on my boat a bit & is very impressed. He fishes out of a KC & thinks mine has all the good attributes without any of the issues of a cat. He might chip in on this thread.
You are more than welcome to visit & come for a run off Noosa if you'd like.
Tony

Captain Seaweed
27-08-2012, 09:09 AM
Thanks Tony thats kind of you to offer a ride. So are if in a 7700 then or different again? I am a bit confused with their sizing.
Cheers
Marty

Muddy Toes
27-08-2012, 09:25 AM
Hi Brett,
I am looking at a Glacier Bay coastal 2680 as we speak!!!! I think the towing is around 4.1T so I am weighing up my options and tending that way. The value for money is great. Thanks mate!!!

Well best we go over to Texas and buy us a dirty great big pick up truck each then!!!!

Captain Seaweed
27-08-2012, 09:44 AM
yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeehaaaaaaaaaaa!

looking at whats available here at the moment, hey on a serious note if you bought a truck how long before you need to convert it to RHD?

Back In Black
27-08-2012, 09:47 AM
Marty,
The sizing is confusing I admit. Its 8.4 LOA & think its goes under 7700 Platinum. We get 40 knots out of her, she is great at crossing Noosa bar, has no problem in a following sea & is a seriously stable fishing platform. We tend to do longer runs, between 60 & 80 kms off Noosa, & have never felt uneasy. Took the father in law last week 70 km out & he said he has never fished in such rough conditions, but it was quite reasonable actually, & he commented on stability & ride.
Tony