PDA

View Full Version : Where do you get your worms from on the Bayside?

ThePinkPanther
24-08-2012, 02:51 PM
I'm ready to give up?

I love my whiting fishing but the frustrations of firstly finding a reliable outlet that stocks them is getting incredibly difficult, particularly around Cleveland as Mossops are now a dead loss and far too expensive, and as I have already posted, the guys at Vicky Point have pretty well gone and my latest foray was way over to that great shop at the Manly Water Tower who have got top worms but slugged me $2.20 per worm!

Granted good quality big healthy guys but for my twenty bucks I only got eight and a bit ......... I'm really miserable when it comes to putting 'em on the hook and prefer salting them down first as I have proven time after time that they perform as well as if not better than the live ones and last from five to six months in the crisper and you can get four or five fish per worm.

......... And yep, I am so bloody miserable that lately I even resort to digging the bit of worm out of their guts! I paid for it and I want it back!

Anyhow, any of you guys have a a favorite spot down this way you find cheap and reliable, betcha don't!

Lucky_Phill
24-08-2012, 02:53 PM
Have you considered digging your own ?

You allowed 50. Some for the trip and some for a later trip.. metho and frozen.

LP

Noelm
24-08-2012, 03:04 PM
If you get in the car now, you could be at my place by around 4 in the morning, just give me a call and I will show you my secret worm spot, and let you borrow my pump to get them, and might even show you where the Whiting are thick at the moment, just 5 mins away.

rosco1974
24-08-2012, 04:19 PM
mate i just use the red gulp worms. i find them just as good for the old winter/diver whiting and also have got good summer whiting on them at straddie.bout $9 a packet for 10 worms.just cut them to size leave the pointy end of the hook just exposed and u will catch plenty.been a long time since i have bought live worms..or another tip when u goto tower bait and tackle at manly ask for the frozen red worms these are better again...think 5 bucks for 6 or 7 worms
cheers rosco

Axl
24-08-2012, 05:12 PM
I agree with rosco1974 red Gulp worms do the job just as well, however I still cant convince my dad of this. (Silly old bugger:P)

When I take him out for a whiting fish we go down to the Wynnum foreshore and dig up enough for him to take, bloody hard work at times but still better than paying for them;).

As LP has said there is a bag limit of 50 whether that be a whole worm and or a piece, any left overs go into metho for the night, onto news paper in the mornig for an hour then freeze.

BTW I do just as well as he does using squid and or the Gulp worms;D.

ThePinkPanther
24-08-2012, 05:41 PM
.......... And after I have finished digging them, do I call for an ambulance to take me to hospital or is there is a special place where you go to get shattered and broken spines put back together again?

ThePinkPanther
24-08-2012, 05:45 PM
Got a better idea! Why don't you stay in bed all warm and cozy, lend me the pump or fork or whatever you use, I'll go and dig a hundred of da little suckers, go and catch the fish, clean, scale, fillet and de-bone them, bag 'em, freeze, cook you a brekky of them, wash all the gear up for you and then book myself into hospital!

Axl
24-08-2012, 05:52 PM
If your back is no good go with the Gulps mate to easy, and cheaper than buying live worms.

Lucky_Phill
24-08-2012, 07:16 PM
Yep, I know it can be hard work, but taking it easy and being chosey where you dig can result in a bag full in no time.

I even head out to Margate... area...... for some Wrigglers... " Rockies " to some...... easy digging and work well.

Maybe you could contact a pro wormer and see if they can supply you... ?

LP

SUPERDAFF
24-08-2012, 10:57 PM
Call in and see Graham at Wellington Point Marine on Main Street in the Wellington Point village next to the newsagent.

I'm ready to give up?

I love my whiting fishing but the frustrations of firstly finding a reliable outlet that stocks them is getting incredibly difficult, particularly around Cleveland as Mossops are now a dead loss and far too expensive, and as I have already posted, the guys at Vicky Point have pretty well gone and my latest foray was way over to that great shop at the Manly Water Tower who have got top worms but slugged me $2.20 per worm!

Granted good quality big healthy guys but for my twenty bucks I only got eight and a bit ......... I'm really miserable when it comes to putting 'em on the hook and prefer salting them down first as I have proven time after time that they perform as well as if not better than the live ones and last from five to six months in the crisper and you can get four or five fish per worm.

......... And yep, I am so bloody miserable that lately I even resort to digging the bit of worm out of their guts! I paid for it and I want it back!

Anyhow, any of you guys have a a favorite spot down this way you find cheap and reliable, betcha don't!

soulfish
25-08-2012, 05:33 AM
.......... And after I have finished digging them, do I call for an ambulance to take me to hospital or is there is a special place where you go to get shattered and broken spines put back together again?

And you complain about the price

Axl
25-08-2012, 06:06 AM
Post deleted.

flatzie
25-08-2012, 07:58 PM
If your back is no good go with the Gulps mate to easy, and cheaper than buying live worms.

That may well be the case for Winter (Diver Whiting) but I doubt you would do as well with them on big Summer Whiting, I never heard of anyone catching those boys on Gulp Worms. I have done really well on the Gulps at the Cockle banks, but mostly chase Summer Tings now and I dig Bloodworms for them.
Feel free to correct me on this, I wish I didnt have to plow around in black mud for worms, but those big Summer Tings just love them.
Cheers
Flatzie

MudRiverDan
25-08-2012, 08:21 PM
Post deleted.

Let me guess... Gulp worms? :P

Dan

rosco1974
25-08-2012, 09:22 PM
flatzie,
i will correct you mate have caught plenty of summer whiting from the camp ground at amity point up too 39cm is my best there... normally for an hr or so i will get a good feed of around a dozen but will admit that fresh yabbies will outfish the gulps but if i dont get the yabbies we do well enough on the gulps
cheers rosco
p.s i am a bait fisho but will use artis to get a feed if need be.lol

Tangles
25-08-2012, 09:53 PM
Worms are hard to get now around Viccie Pt as Ian has closed,, but have had good results on the Tower frozen jobbies as they where waiting for livies.... backup is squid dyed red.... have the gulps as a backup but never used them...

flatzie
26-08-2012, 06:49 AM
flatzie,
i will correct you mate have caught plenty of summer whiting from the camp ground at amity point up too 39cm is my best there... normally for an hr or so i will get a good feed of around a dozen but will admit that fresh yabbies will outfish the gulps but if i dont get the yabbies we do well enough on the gulps
cheers rosco
p.s i am a bait fisho but will use artis to get a feed if need be.lol
Wow Rosco that has me surprised! I have researched on here and other forums and never heard that! Well done! I will try a few next time, I have some of them, Sandworm nerisis I think in Blood red colour. Be interesting to hear if there is any difference to getting them on plastics in Rivers compared to open water/beaches.
I would still use the naturals as last two times I have fished them I have bagged out on them, but my back reminds me for a few days!!
Cheers
Flatzie

finga
26-08-2012, 07:56 AM
Just don't remember to take your Combantrim.
Never ending supply of worms then.
Works for me.
All you do is use the same technique as getting beach worms.
A pair of worm pliers (or pippy shell), wait until they show their ugly head and whammo.....got one. Nice and fresh.

And the best thing is you don't have to drag a smelly old fish frame about to draw the worm out of it's home like you do at the beach. They seem to pop their heads out for no real reason.

WalrusLike
27-08-2012, 06:57 AM
.......... pair of worm pliers (or pippy shell), wait until they show their ugly head and whammo.....got one.......

but Finga, bent over like that, looking directly into the source of the worms, wouldn't the Sun that shines from there blind you?

finga
27-08-2012, 09:55 AM
http://www.ferret.com.au/c/BOC-228458/images/Welding-helmets-and-accessories-172901-o.jpg

sid_fishes
27-08-2012, 06:39 PM
i might chat to my ex digger and see if we can help all u old farts abit
but for those that have brought live ones and want to keep them ,the best way is soak them in metho and red food dye for about 20 min to 1/2 hr then pop them into the freezer
trust me

ian