PDA

View Full Version : Brisbane Boat Show

Crunchy
23-08-2012, 05:06 PM
Just spent a couple of hours there....wasn't overly impressed to be honest, talked to a few other blokes that felt the same. The whole thing felt a bit flat really, overheard a salesmen bemoaning the state of the boating market to some dude, he was saying how they were just hanging in and waiting it out till things turn for the better:-?

I picked up a few bits and pieces but there were no real bargins to be had, no really good "Show specials" to speak of...most of the decent gear seemed to be normal list price. The "shops" had crap gear (Reels & rods) and if you were after some low end stuff it might be worth a look. A few lures on special, powder baits 2 for $10 but who uses them anymore?

On the up side:
Some really fancy Ooglie hunting gear on display! I didn't know that those fancy electric reels could be set to jig up and down on auto - how easy is that! Cheapest ooglie set up was about $2K I think:o and that couldn't fish to 500M.

Highlight in the F/glass boats for me was a KC3000, WHOA! And I'm not really into cats.
And for you metal heads the AMM7000 was a pretty damn nice piece of kit.
As for the F/G mono hulls I liked the Boston Whalers - no idea how they perform but they look the part.

A few other nice looking trailer boats there too but its not a great show IMHO....if you are humming and harring about going I'd give it a miss....Just saying.

Oh yeh, eat before you go:(

thelump
23-08-2012, 05:44 PM
Scored a couple of free tickets so will go and have a squiz on Saturday. Did the same last year and reckon I was out of there inside of 2 hrs.

charleville
23-08-2012, 05:47 PM
Thanks for your candid comments, Crunchy.

I had intended going this year but a dose of the 'flu has saved me some money it seems.

One of the major benefits of these boat shows, of course, is that they prompt people like Whitworths, who are not exhibitors, to leverage the event by running their very popular two day 15% off everything sales at that time.

Perhaps some tackle shops should do the same.

I attended boat shows for many years but regrettably their format has the predictability of gravity and just as interesting. They need some new blood in the organisational arm, methinks.

Owen
23-08-2012, 06:00 PM
Got plans of walking out with a new Icom VHF and maybe a Furuno FCV 620/627
If the prices aren't keen I won't be getting the wallet out.

Steeler
23-08-2012, 06:03 PM
Want a deal then wait til the last day and more so toward the end when exhibitors don't want to be packing up to much.

Was driving past today at 12:30pm and all 3 Convention Centre car parks had the "full" signs up and a boom gate across entry points - so keep that in mind if going tomorrow if driving - might be better if you can take the bus/train. City workers take advantage of the very cheap early bird car parking compared to the city centre car parks so that doesn't leave much room for show attendees

Cheers

A

Triple
23-08-2012, 07:10 PM
Got plans of walking out with a new Icom VHF

Unsure of what icom model you are chasing but let me know how much cheaper the 412 is compared to this -
http://www.prestigecom.net.au/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=146&products_id=2921

charleville
23-08-2012, 07:13 PM
Unsure of what icom model you are chasing but let me know how much cheaper the 412 is compared to this -
http://www.prestigecom.net.au/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=146&products_id=2921

That is the same price as the Whitworths' price so I am guessing that theirs will be 15 % cheaper tomorrow and Saturday, if they have stock.

Triple
23-08-2012, 07:21 PM
:dankk2:
Didn't even look at whitworths!
Cheers Charleville.

tunaticer
23-08-2012, 07:36 PM
I just checked the online price for an item i have been wanting for a while and it is now listed $50 more exy than a month ago.

charleville
23-08-2012, 08:20 PM
I just checked the online price for an item i have been wanting for a while and it is now listed $50 more exy than a month ago.

Where? .

Owen
23-08-2012, 08:41 PM

Yeah it'll be either a 412 or 427
Not sure if the hailer/horn option is worth the extra

Black_Rat
23-08-2012, 08:51 PM
Cheers Crunchy !

Seems like the same old stuff.

I'm heading there midday Saturday to do some window shopping ! :-X;D

I'll be looking for a good esky no more than 400mm high to fit under the D22 Hardtop.

and a new boat ;D:-X::)

Crunchy
23-08-2012, 09:23 PM
Got plans of walking out with a new Icom VHF and maybe a Furuno FCV 620/627

I noticed a lack of advertised prices on most electronic gear, perhaps they are up for some bartering!

Want a deal then wait til the last day and more so toward the end when exhibitors don't want to be packing up to much.

For sure, even the boat packages seem to get cheaper!

City workers take advantage of the very cheap early bird car parking compared to the city centre car parks so that doesn't leave much room for show attendees

A

Right, so thats why the car park is so busy...I thought "it must be bloody busy in there" but it was quiet....day parkers then....the citycat would be a good option too.

I attended boat shows for many years but regrettably their format has the predictability of gravity and just as interesting. They need some new blood in the organisational arm, methinks.

Yep same old same old....

Noticed a bit of gear has gone up in price, GPSMAP 750's are up in price by a few hundy since I bought mine....BTW if you are thinking of one of these they have a free G2 vision map upgrade at the show.

.... a new boat ;D:-X::)

bargain hard on that new boat BR!

lucee81
23-08-2012, 09:34 PM

At that great difference you must be talking about a litre of fuel.

barra71
24-08-2012, 02:20 AM
have a look here guys https://www.globaldirectshop.com.au/advanced_search_result.php?search_in_description=1&keywords=4boat+Communications
have got things from here before with no probs..
Uniden UM415 25W VHF/DSC Marine Radio $220
Cobra MR F80B-D 25W Class-D DSC/VHF Marine Radio (Black, Updated Model) $295

charleville
24-08-2012, 06:45 AM
have a look here guys https://www.globaldirectshop.com.au/advanced_search_result.php?search_in_description=1&keywords=4boat+Communications
have got things from here before with no probs..
Uniden UM415 25W VHF/DSC Marine Radio $220
Cobra MR F80B-D 25W Class-D DSC/VHF Marine Radio (Black, Updated Model) $295

I don't know these guys so this may not be relevant. However, it can pay to check whether they are legitimate, authorised Aussie dealers in the brand.

If they are not, it means that they are probably sourcing the product online from an overseas seller that you, yourself, can do just as easily. Such is called the "grey market" and usually, the local agents will not support warranties on products that are bought in this way. ie if you have a warranty problem, you may be faced with sending the product to the country of its original purchase for warranty work.

Mike Delisser
25-08-2012, 08:38 PM
I went to the show yesterday, pretty quiet, and not much for the fisherman apart from cheap tackle and a couple of interesting talks. Unless you're into jetskis or big cruisers I think the Tinni n Tackle n 4x4 Show has more appeal.
I tell what though, if I owned a business that had a stand at the boatshow, I'd tell all my salesmen to turn their phones off. Just about every guy at every stand was either talking on their phone or texting. While I was checking out a boat I witnessed 2 guys looking for help walk because they were sick of waiting for the reps to finish their phone calls.
Cheers
MD

FisHard
25-08-2012, 09:18 PM
Yeah, some sales guys have no idea. Most were generally pretty good though. I suprised myself by really liking the Formosa 580 Centre Cab. With some custom cushions to make a useable bunk, it would be a neat rig.
Oh, the $249k Boston Whaler wasn't too shabby either.

Tangles
25-08-2012, 09:47 PM
Went today,

Tinnie show is a better show... parking a nightmare... not a lot there,, i got an epirb but i could get that anywhere and the price discount wouldnt pay for your parking...

saw a couple of nice boats and checked out some sounders... but pretty thin i thought compared to previous years... no beef jerky stand either...tackle? nothing there really

thought the new CC Explorer looked good as was the Vindicator....