PDA

View Full Version : Minn Kota mounting position

mattttty
22-08-2012, 05:38 PM
Hey just bought a 55lb minn Kota just wondering what is the best way to mount it as I have an anchor well should I buy a quick release bracket ? Cheers 836728367383674

netmaker
22-08-2012, 06:10 PM
get an ally welder to fill in a bit of your well. i dont use a quick release at all. unless you want to take your motor on and off, why make it easier for someone else to take it off while your camping or whatever?

Chas & Clarry
22-08-2012, 06:58 PM
Yep I agree re the quick release, that is why we didn't put one on too.

Tim and Trace

mattttty
22-08-2012, 07:28 PM
Thanks for the replies do use have any pics of how yours are fitted

Chas & Clarry
22-08-2012, 10:06 PM
Mate, our boat came with a purpose built mounting plate off to the side of the bow so not really what you are dealing with.

Apollo
23-08-2012, 07:27 AM
I have had a boat with and without a quick release bracket and I prefer the WITH as it allows me to remove it and store securely when not in use/needed, such as going trolling, getting it repaired, travelling, staying overnight where the boat is vunerable. It can be locked onto the boat and although not absolutely thief proof, what is?

llourd
23-08-2012, 11:42 AM
i took mine to ARK welding in Virginia, they have done plenty of these and they worked out how to best angle it for fitting with the most efficient use of space. those guys a re good and if they do it for you they will fabricate any bots that need to go on, so instead of covering your well they can add a bit of alloy so it sticks out slightly and looks like the ones that are factory supplied.
as far as the mounting plate, i used one cause sometime when i wanna just cruise or have extra people on board i can take it off and free up the space.

warti
23-08-2012, 07:21 PM
I welded one on myself, it is not too hard. However, take it to someone who has done them like these guys suggest if you want a more professional finish. I welded mine off to the left of centre (parallel) so i could still use the anchor bollard. I also use a quick release bracket as i dont always flick lures and like more room for fishing and cast netting off the front. Love the i-pilot, just remember to put a 60amp fuse or circuit breaker in your connections.