PDA

View Full Version : How Do I Adjust Rollers Correctly – Advice needed?

Dave666
20-08-2012, 03:34 PM
I am currently restoring my tandem axle trailer (slowly). Before I removed all the wobble & keel roller brackets I recorded the position measurements, so I could put them back roughly as they were. The overall boat position was good, but I want to drop the back slightly and raise the front just to give it a bit more “roll angle”.

Am I correct in saying that for my boat (19ft fiberglass half cab) I should have around 80% of the weight on the keel rollers and 20% on the wobble rollers?

But how do you go about adjusting, once the boat is on, so you get the correct weight proportions, boat position and overall set up?

Should I put the boat on and then individually drop each wobble bracket and reset by pushing hard up against the hull? I am just guessing – never done this before.

Thanks in Advance.

Chimo
20-08-2012, 04:32 PM
When I had to adjust my rollers for my last boat I was told to adjust them so they were all carrying the same weight, and that was assessed by them all being equally easy (if you have lots and lots of rollers) or hard ( if you have either just enough or not). Worked a treat, did it once and never again until I sold the boat.

Then I bought a Seafarer and it was all set up and I've never had to adjust the mass of rollers that you used to get on a Fry Seafarer / Tinka Classic trailer. I could give you the number of the man who set up the Tinka if you want it.

Cheers
Chimo

Angryant
20-08-2012, 08:21 PM
Here's a link to my thread about setting the trailer up and weight distribution of the boat. I'm sure you will find some good points raised.
http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?176973-Weight-Distribution-Boat-on-Trailer

johncar
20-08-2012, 08:38 PM
Just be prepared to take a little time to get it the way you want it as it can be a fairly tedious process. I am sure I have spent the best part of a day to get them all sharing the way I want.
How much weight you bias on the keel vs the wobbles depends on your boats design and construction, some builders like lots of weight on the keel and some want none. If you can't find out then I would try and make all rollers even. I try and not have any more than about 40 - 50 KG on each roller which seems to work well.

Dave666
22-08-2012, 06:54 PM
Sorry for the delayed responce - Thank you for the reply's, all good advice.

Angryant, that thread was perfect, thanks a million.

Cheers
Dave