PDA

View Full Version : Best tie downs

Justin Rossiter
19-08-2012, 04:13 PM
Hi fellow Fisherfolk

Can anyone recommend a decent ratchet style tie down ? Have been through a few already that just seem to not be up to the job. The tie down is to go from one side of the trailer to the other over the gunwales .

Also, due to a bit of research on this great site I am going to check my winch post and place my safety chain anchored away from the post in case of accident or failure

Justin

zan0_15
19-08-2012, 04:16 PM
when u say you have been through a few already , what has been happening to them?

bigjimg
19-08-2012, 04:22 PM
I use the lever type buckle tiedown strap.There are no ratchets or moving parts to stuff up.The buckle is stainless steel so no rust issues either,it does the job and has been for 4yrs now and still looks like new.
The brand is Just Straps,got it from Whitworths.Jim

Dan5
19-08-2012, 04:25 PM
Another vote for Just Straps,the camover is good but i prefer the ratchet type.

Dan

johncar
19-08-2012, 07:06 PM
I think mine are also "Just Straps" SS ratchet style. I don't go right over the boat but use two and tie down the transom which just seems easier and less chance of damage to the boat. The ones I have look like they would last indefinitely, nice quality.

Justin Rossiter
19-08-2012, 07:24 PM
Thanks Chaps

The are constantly coming loose, start off quite tight but with boat movement they work loose and just flap about not really applying any downward pressure on the boat. Have been thinking of converting to transom tie downs

Justin

Fed
20-08-2012, 08:00 AM
A ratchet strap can't really come loose Justin your boat has to be squirming around on the trailer or something.

+1 on the tightness, just nipped up is all you need & back them off as soon as you get home.

fishfeeder
20-08-2012, 09:51 AM
Can I ask what people use to stop the strap from marking the sides of there boats ???

Cheers
Brett

Fed
20-08-2012, 10:02 AM
I use a piece of carpet with 2 slots cut in it to protect against the ratchet thing marking the hull.

fishfeeder
20-08-2012, 10:11 AM
Thanks Fed, I will have a look around the house as I think I have some rolled up.

I picked up my last Tie downs at the Chandler Markets, got it for $35 and its rated to 2500kg and it looks a lot better made then the $150 one it replaced..
But I have to confess I don't use any tie downs if only fishing local (about 10min to the ramp), but if I travel up or down the coast I Tie it down..

Cheers
Brett

Fed
20-08-2012, 10:24 AM
There was a thread on here some time ago where someone looked up the regulations for strap strength, tie downs only had to be rated at a quarter or half the load weight.
It makes sense if you think about it.

wayno60
20-08-2012, 12:42 PM
Im with johncar, i made up two ratchet style ones for the transom, so if one lets go you still have the back of the boat anchored to the trailer..but if i was going with one, id use the slotted carpet trick..

Justin Rossiter
20-08-2012, 02:14 PM
Just got myself a strap from Just Straps, much better quality than the chaep crap I had obviously been buying.

I also use a bit of carpet to protect from rubbing

Justin

Blusta
20-08-2012, 07:05 PM
I use a lever over like bigjimg 2" wide ties over from one side to the other. Lever locks down will not undo. Used for 12 years. I don't like ratchets but that's a personal choice. Pads over tread tape on the load areas to stop wear.

stue2
20-08-2012, 07:28 PM
Transom tiedowns with ratchet. The chain on the front is secured in two places to the trailer and then the winch post. Tried the strap going right over but didnt like the rubbing it left.

Cheers
Stu

johncar
20-08-2012, 08:07 PM
It seems more of a recent trend to tie the stern down and thinking back 20 or 30 years it seemed that not many bothered. Just a safety chain on the front if you were lucky and the winch rope. Over the years it has been given a bit more importance and resonably so.
Plenty of big purpose made ratchet straps on the market now and all to easy to throw one over the boat and crank it down. The only problem is that many boats are not designed to withstand the stresses placed on them at the tie down points that owners choose which is often determined by the trailer, not the boat. Ratchet straps and over centre styles are very efficient at applying extreme forces on the hull and often pulling the sides in beyond their design and cracks, chaffing and other damage can occur.
It is pobably as already mentioned not to pull down too hard even though the devices allow you to, just enough to stop it bouncing off and be mindful of the damage that the flapping straps will do to your sides. My mates CC has two distinct dark vertical bands of chaffing down the rear sides from his strap, so if anyone insists on using a full strap over it may be usefull to roll up something soft to space the straps away from the hull if the damage bothers you at least.
If there is a way of strapping the transom down with a couple of short straps, it seems to be quicker and easier and less harmful overall, IMHO.
I also have the bow winching point with chains and turnbuckles in 3 directions just for my own sense of security but the regulations seem very loose with regard to road safety requirements.