PDA

View Full Version : Aussie Whaler??? Help/advice please

aidbox
19-08-2012, 09:10 AM
Hi all,
I live near Hinchinbrook and have come across a local and ‘Aussie Whaler 550’ tri hull centre console with a 115 honda 4 stroke (700hrs). I’m in the hunt for a reef boat that I can lure fish and bait fish out of (mainly plastics/poppers etc). I also have a youngin on the way. What are these boats like and how do they handle the chop up here etc? I also have no idea about tri hulls? Is that too many hrs on the motor and how much do you think is a ball-park figure for this package? It looks well-maintained. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Chimo
19-08-2012, 10:35 AM
Get something with a cabin or at least a cuddy esp if you have family. Too hot, too cold , too much sun etc without shelter etc. A deep vee gives a softer ride esp in glass.

Cheers
Chimo

CATchin'Em
19-08-2012, 11:15 AM
Not a bad boat would rate the above many monohulls in the ride stakes but far from a true bluewater traveller. you would notice the difference in large swell and chop days 15knt+ if you were in a good cat (so many cheap nastys) or newer cruisecraft or haines. THey are generally well made as long as it is not too old. The age would give a good indication of value usually $15k for 8 year old BMT. they are extremely stable at rest and I class them as one of the best lure fishing boats out there very stable and shallow drawing. I rate them for your described use. would defineately look at it

aidbox
19-08-2012, 04:18 PM
yeah so not real flash in the chop? This is what I am most worried about up here. Really struggling to find something that suits this type atm!!!!

aidbox
19-08-2012, 04:21 PM
yeah so not real flash in the chop? This is what I am most worried about up here. Really struggling to find something that suits this type atm!!!!
any other opinions of these boats or ideas ideas for what I am after up here would be a great help?