PDA

View Full Version : Test Drive Before Repower??

tenzing
18-08-2012, 07:38 PM
Please forgive my ignorance, but what is the story with getting a spin around the block before laying ones hard earned down on a new outboard.
I have done about all the internet searching and 'pm' ing of ausfish members that you can all tolerate and still have two possible contenders on the table for the Victory repower.
I think I am inclined to lean towards the installer with the better reputation, as both motors will do the job, although quite differently.

I am definitely not going to kick tyres, but is it normal to try out a donk that is likely to set you back well over 20 large?

I am hoping to have some great revelation at the boatshow on Friday and have set a good length of time aside to listen to the dealers of choice.

Any ( FURTHER ) help greatly appreciated, and thanks to all of those who have replied to my incessant pms. You've really gotta love that about the folks on this site
Cheers
Brendan

Swanie1975
18-08-2012, 07:56 PM
when i repowered my boat i found more help from the members on here than i did from any of the local dealers when it came to arranging a spin in a similar rig or one powered by my possible future outboard. i found it way more honest to deal with owners(some with a bit rose-tinted glasses) but still way better than a salesman. i also found internet vids were helpful too - some even had outboards in them lol

cheers ryan

tenzing
18-08-2012, 09:37 PM
Yeah Thanks Ryan,
Everyone on here has certainly been helpful already.

Still wonder about the test though. You wouldnt consider buying a car without one , so is it different with new outboards, or is it just a question worth asking the dealer?
Cheers
Brendan

Swanie1975
18-08-2012, 09:49 PM
if youre lucky the dealer will know someone they can contact for a test run or you could put up what motors you are looking at and hopefully someone on here can offer you a ride in their rig with the same motor. unfortunately its not really not feasible for dealers to have test rigs or trial fit a motor subject to approval but wouldnt it be nice!!!

whereabouts are you located ?

cheers ryan