PDA

View Full Version : Harvey bay

2IC
18-08-2012, 03:54 PM
Hi all heading up there next weekend for 4 days with my tennis buddys there will be 6 of us I have never fished this area before so any info would be great 2of the boys have a little fishing experience the other 3 lets not go there:-? so i think will mainly stick to the bay & maybe head north but stay inside of the cape as dont want to put the boys into to much swell:)so any info much apreciated cheers bill

Muddy Toes
18-08-2012, 04:04 PM
The guys you need to talk to are Apollo (Steve) and Scott Mitchel.

See how I dobbed you guys in?

Nar seriously Bill......two very informative guys.

cobiaman
18-08-2012, 04:19 PM
Geez bill, you are living the good life right now!

Lucky_Phill
18-08-2012, 04:40 PM
even get chong a pm.

also get onto fish'n'tales.com.au and have a squizz.

If you get stuck, give me a PM, I used to live at Hervey Bay.

LP

choppa
18-08-2012, 04:48 PM
also get onto fish'n'tales.com.au

LP

83484,,,,,I've had this 'plate surround since the first M&G up there,,,, great bunch of blokes,,,, n,,,,, gals,,,;)

Boat Hog
18-08-2012, 05:01 PM
Get a chart of the area. Sand everywhere. BCF or Tackleworld @ Hervey Bay stock them.

If launching from Urangan, best path across to Fraser is to watch where the ferry goes across to Moon Point and follow their path to get across before you head up the inside of the island. This is not a marked channel, the channel markers take you out to the fairway bouy .... a long way out into the bay. If a Northerly picks up and it gets rough, actually following the ferry back to Urangan gives you a lot smoother ride. ;)

If going into the Sandy Straights, be aware of wind against tide, especially northerly winds against a run out tide. I have copped 2 m pressure waves between Woody and Fraser and it's not nice. The Kingfisher Bay high speed Cats will take a short cut across from Urangan to the southern tip of Woody Is when the tide is right. Don't be tempted to follow them a bit later when the tide has fallen. Yes, done this also. :-[ Then I got a chart. ::)

Ciguatera - there is a ciguatera risk area in Platypus Bay within the area of Moon Point to Rooney Point then East towards Fraser.

Get a chart - not sunmap.

2IC
19-08-2012, 08:32 AM
Phill thanks mate! will look at the fish tales site,
Cobiaman for some reason it is all happening around the same time, but i'm not complaining.
Boat Hogg I will look at the chart and thanks for the info about the ferry and the tide and winds.

trymyluck
19-08-2012, 10:37 AM
The high speed cats no longer run over to Kingfisher.

Chamelion
01-10-2012, 01:28 AM
Nor do barges from the Urangan marina.. They only leave from River Heads now.