PDA

View Full Version : Rubbish in the Bay

theangryangler
18-08-2012, 03:36 PM
Headed out for a fish on tuesday and was absolutely disgusted by the amount
of rubbish out there!! I picked up or caught 2 20L buckets worth over the 4 hours i was at cutain.
This included shopping bags thick black plastic sheeting bait and ice bags and all other sorts of crap.
I have never seen it this bad out there... I really wish people would not treat our waterways like this.
Spotted a sea turtle that looked like it had some crap hanging out of its mouth and tried to catch up with it to see what the go was but it kept diving whenever i would get near it.
Mongrels hte ppl that use the bay as a dump when every ramp has a bin at it.>:(

Prowl n Wolf
18-08-2012, 04:17 PM
hey angry, thats weird as i took the boat for a run over to tangas on tuesday from beachmere and thought the opposite. did'nt go up as far as curtain but found without any rain of late the water quality was good. plenty of turtles, dolphins etc. how did you go in regards to fishing?

cuzzamundi
18-08-2012, 06:08 PM
Was off Shorncliffe this arvo and noticed insane amounts of debris/rubbish. Anyone know why? No rain lately, so unsure where the hell it's coming from. Spring tides is all I can think of at present.

Cuzza.

theangryangler
18-08-2012, 10:43 PM
did ok on the fishing got 2 squire at 37 a 62 grey morwong and my first tuna at 72 cm
and also saw haps of jellys dolphins and seals as well as turtles thru out the trip but the
amount of rubbsh at the bottom of the runout and at the beginning of the rise was shocking
here are a few pics

cqfreshie
19-08-2012, 09:32 PM
I'm not from your area Angry, so I don't know anything about cutrain, however, I do agree with your topic of discussion. Up fere in CQ we have our fair shair of fishos who think the environment is a dumping station. Almost all popular land based spots are littered with bait bags, shopping bags, tackle packets and drink containers of various kinds and fishing line by the mile. On one occasion I even saw a disposable nappie on the warf at Roslyn Bay Harbour and there was a flamin' great bin less than twenty feet away:-?. Yeah .. take the kids fishin' but don't leave their breakie behind! No wonder fishos are getting a rough trot from all sides. But even a lot of Aussie non fishos are a grubby lot.:-[ That plastic bag on the side of the street in Blackwater for example may end up in the gut of some turtle trying to have a feed out near the Kepple Islands. You don't have to be a greenie to apreciate the environment.

Gon Fishun
19-08-2012, 09:49 PM
South Westerly winds, Nudgee dump, Nudgee beach, Bramble Bay.
Just thinking out loud.
Maybe it's the council polluting, :-X :o Oh No. ::):-?

Nuh.

Axl
21-08-2012, 12:49 PM
I was at the Curtain last week (on the 14th) and I too was amazed at the amount of plastic floating through the area.

I would have picked up at least a half dozen bags whilst on the drift and when I dropped the pick we had another half dozen or so plastice bags wrap themselves around our lines.

I had a bloke with me who was up form Tassie and he was astounded.

theangryangler
23-08-2012, 01:37 PM
Axl i think you fished wight next to me i was in the formosa 520 cc with a honda 90
pretty sure i saw ya did ya do any good?

Axl
23-08-2012, 05:25 PM
Axl i think you fished wight next to me i was in the formosa 520 cc with a honda 90
pretty sure i saw ya did ya do any good?

Yep that was me theangryangler, I remember seeing the formosa and comenting to the guy I had onboard with me about it as I nearly brought a 5.5m C/C Tomahawk last year but upgraded the tow vehicle instead (boat next year;)).

I went to Bribie for a week with a few mate's from a small fishing club I am invloved with, we had four boats and eight blokes over there that day and did'nt raise anything that we could keep except plastic bags:-?.

You did much better than we did;D.

milo__
28-08-2012, 09:15 AM
I also stopped on the way home on Sunday and picked up an empty ice bag floating near the leads just off the Wellington Point Boat Ramp......some people simply have no idea!!!

Little Fish Big Pond
28-08-2012, 09:29 AM
Well and truly gives me the shits. I've even been out with a skipper once who littered, safe to say I didn't go with him again. What was I meant to do though? I gave him some curry and he just laughed it off...his boat I guess. I don't have a boat myself (working on that) and always make an effort when I'm down at the ramp at my local casting for bait to pick up any rubbish I see. It's amazing the amount of blokes that thank me for it though. I even had one old fella come in one night and say, "Is that your rubbish?". To which I obviously said no. He was so stoked he thanked me and said "I thought I was the only bloke in the world who would pick up someone elses rubbish" and promptly handed me a nice Snapper to take home for a feed! So that was enough karma for me to keep doing the right thing...not that I needed the incentive. It's so easy to just put it in the bin!