PDA

View Full Version : Which Fuel Filter?

castamasta
16-08-2012, 03:12 PM
Hi All
Well im finally going to get around to fitting an underfloor fuel tank,was wondering what fuel filter shall i use? Im running a 40hp yammy 4str on a 4.35mtr tinny. Any help or advice in other aspects of fitting the tank would be great also.
Cheers , Gav.

OPTI
16-08-2012, 04:51 PM
get a racor water seperator ,10 micron filter with the plastic bowl.you can keep an eye on any water and drain it as required.carnt comment on the tank fitting with out seeing photos etc

cormorant
16-08-2012, 07:10 PM
are you just going to place 2 tote tanks under the floor so you can manage your fuel better so it doesn't go stale? Depends how you manage your fuel and if you have a injected motor but the larger filters are a bit of overkill and sometimes more trouble that they are worth. I'd be using a small inline filter and keep a spare and also check what filter teh motor has. All depends on your usage etc etc. On small boats I'd go for a couple of easy to fill totes everytime over a built in tank.

Keep it simple.

nigelr
16-08-2012, 07:19 PM
x2 for tote tanks.

castamasta
17-08-2012, 09:40 AM
Hi guys,thanks for the advice so far.
I have limited storage space so wanted to free that up by fitting a small cruise tank under the fixed floor.I was looking at about a maxium of a 40ltr tank situated about midship.The seajay territory has a fuel tank cradle under the forward casting platform which leads to a few issues i dont like,firstly the underfloor tote tank fills the underfloor area with fumes ,I actuallly leave my hatch open when not using the boat and I want to lock these hatches as I live in an appartment building and have had gear stolen already ,with a cruise tank I can fit an external breather line aswell.Secondly the bowmount battery cradle is also under there so i carry the battery on the floor at the moment,not where I want it.Also I want to add fuel capacity instead of carrying a jerry can for the longer offshore journeys or weekends away.But of course I dont want issues by fitting the tank,so I need to weigh up the pro's and con's hence putting up the post ;D hope ive explained that ok.
Cheers,Gav.

Smithy
17-08-2012, 10:27 AM
What Opti said or similar OEM brands. Solas do a no-name copy of the Racor and their filter cartridges are cheap like $20 or so. Same for Easterners.

myusernam
17-08-2012, 12:37 PM
yeah go easterner. one racor cartridge will cost the same as a whole new easterner filter assembley with cartridge and bowl