PDA

View Full Version : Fisher - 2008 Maxi 580 or 2009 Maxi 600??????

Goldfinch
14-08-2012, 01:42 PM
Guys...these two boats are listed on Boatsales.com.au. Which one do you think is the better value for money? How much of a better ride is the Maxi 600? It's either one of these or I import a Yank fibreglass centre console as there is not much to choose from here. Intelligent comments only please :-).

Cheers
Dave

Greg P
14-08-2012, 05:30 PM
That 580 Maxi is loaded with sportfishing extras and looks to be really set up well. 1kW 585, Alloy trailer is a bonus. Rob Smith would know the guy that owns it from the SCGFC. That boat has won a couple of size class tournies I think so it is a fish raiser??

I have a 600 Maxi walkaround and know when I was looking at buying in 07 the 580 was a little smaller on a couple of internal/external side heights but in reality you are not going to notice much. The 600 will be marginally heavier and is a shorter version of the 620/660/680 sizes. Also the 580 would be one of Col's boats - not sure on the other one??

johncar
14-08-2012, 08:17 PM
Different sort of boats Dave, what are your preferences regarding a fairly open boat vs a full cab and hard top. Only you can decide that.
I like both setups for different reasons but if I could only have one I would probably lean towards the 6.0 with the cab and all the protection, the radar is nice addition too but could be added to the CC. I guess it depends on whether you mostly head out on your own or whether the family gets involved etc. I have the 660 Maxi full cab as you know and it is an awesome boat in all respects but I am getting a 5.0M CC built at Origin for those days when I just want to skoot out on my own.

Goldfinch
14-08-2012, 10:04 PM
A friend rang me today and said he knew of a 2010 model Fisher 5.8m that was for sale near where I live so i went and checked it out just to get an idea of size and fitout etc. OMG...what a pile of S***. It was priced at $54k and my Haines is priced at $60k. In comparison my Haines should be priced at $80K. I cant believe how much more you get in a glass boat, seriously. I still have a lot of boats to check out but it's not a great start for my plate research. The search continues.

maimai
15-08-2012, 06:34 AM
Goldfinch, I hear what your saying, A good mate just scored a sweet looking 23 foot proline landed at his door for 65k,

sailfisher580
15-08-2012, 04:39 PM
I'm guessing the 2008 580 Maxi your talking about is mine.Come for a drive and check it out, I'm at Buderim.If your looking for a boat for sports and game fishing, it has been fully set up for that in mind.It is under 2 tonne so it can be towed by most family cars, I tow with a commodore wagon and a old hilux and it handles fine.My contact details are on the boatsales add, give me a call or send me an e-mail.SAILFISHER580

johncar
15-08-2012, 05:19 PM
A friend rang me today and said he knew of a 2010 model Fisher 5.8m that was for sale near where I live so i went and checked it out just to get an idea of size and fitout etc. OMG...what a pile of S***. It was priced at $54k and my Haines is priced at $60k. In comparison my Haines should be priced at $80K. I cant believe how much more you get in a glass boat, seriously. I still have a lot of boats to check out but it's not a great start for my plate research. The search continues.

That would seem strange that a 2010 Fisher could be that way but calling a quality built boat a pile of S*** is very generalising. What model is it? What specifically didn't you like about it? Do you mean it has been destroyed by neglect or just lacking in fit out? I have just never seen a badly built one but yes I have seen many a boat that has been treated roughly even in 2 years.

Greg P
15-08-2012, 06:49 PM
They are all custom built to owners requirements. Maybe that is just a bare bones boat that the owner wanted. Anyway maybe you should just keep your $80k HH

Goldfinch
15-08-2012, 07:52 PM
I am certainly not basing my entire opinion of plate boats on the boat I saw the other day as I have been in some great plate boats over 8m and upwards of $100K but for a boat that retailed for over $70k it did not represent value for money at all IMO. By looking at lots of boats it certainly gives you a good idea of what is value for money and what isn't, taking into consideration all aspects including owner neglect. If my Haines was a full walkaround I would not be selling it. My fishing doesn't require overnighters anymore so a large cabin is just a waste of space, hence my decision to sell. Anyway, the boatshow next week should give me a chance to touch a lot of boats and do some further comparisons.

dunny
15-08-2012, 10:02 PM
You have answered your question before any other comment had been made but you are trying to compare a plate boat with a glass boat from the states. My advice is don't ask for other opinions if you have unrealistic expectations.
Go to the boat show and get a bargain then.

nigelr
16-08-2012, 07:41 AM
Somehow I think you might enjoy the Yank glass CC more.......possibly more refined?
Each to there own....I'd love the smooth ride and looks but for the ramps I use and the amount of times I launch and retrieve solo aluminium is infinitely more practical.