PDA

View Full Version : Changing trailer rollers

Justin Rossiter
13-08-2012, 02:50 PM
Hi Fisherfolk

Going to dump the boat in the water and replace my keel rollers. What equipment will I need to have with me for the job ? (besides new rollers :P) I was thinking pliers, new split pins, hammer, grease, WD40 and the swear jar :-X

Justin

lucee81
13-08-2012, 02:57 PM
get yourself a gas lighter or heat gun if you heat the metal surrounding the bolts it will expand and the bolts will come out easier also dont forget the drill to drill the bolts out (not sure if a heat gun will have enough heat but a flame torch jet lighter will)
also a string line and level to line the rollers up with (dependant on trailer setup)
A bigger hammer and cheat bar for the spanner. Also a helping hand.
if you have slides on the trailer you can actually loosen/remove bolts before heading to boat ramp (i did) also dependant on current boat/trailer setup.
have fun and it can be an easy quick job.
took me 2 hrs from start.

Moonlighter
13-08-2012, 03:29 PM
If you can get access to power or have a cordless fersion, an angle grinder is always a most helpful tool on these jobs, in my experience!

ML

Gon Fishun
13-08-2012, 03:51 PM
Never seize on the threads when refitting.

marto78
13-08-2012, 04:48 PM
If you can get access to power or have a cordless fersion, an angle grinder is always a most helpful tool on these jobs, in my experience!

ML

The saber saw was my saviour as the blade on the grinder was a bit short to get all the way through to the roller pin.

cormorant
13-08-2012, 06:22 PM
Always better to do at home near the tools unless your ramp is real close and quiet. Have you got some grass to drop the boat on and what condition are the roller spindles in?

Justin Rossiter
13-08-2012, 07:19 PM
Roller spindles look OK, rollers are cracked and worn, split pins looked knackered and will be replaced. Is it an easier process if I just the replace the spindles as well ? they are only a few bucks each.

J

Feral
13-08-2012, 07:33 PM
Take a couple of spare shafts in case you find a bent one.

PADDLES
13-08-2012, 08:01 PM
how big a boat are we talking here justin and what's the layout of the trailer? are you able to just drop the holders down one at a time, change out the roller and then push it back up with a jack from underneath and then be able to do it in the comfort of your own carport?

Justin Rossiter
13-08-2012, 10:21 PM
4.62m, and yes could jack it up. Just a good excuse to take it out for a spin !!!

J

Muddy Toes
13-08-2012, 10:24 PM
A boat that size mate I'd just be pushing it off on the lawn and doing it all at home where you've got all the time in the world, power if needed and you've got the ability to leave the boat there if you need to duck out and grab more stuff.