PDA

View Full Version : Light Truck Tyres or Passenger?

bensparkyspark
13-08-2012, 02:19 PM
Ok so I've searched the forums to find if this has already been talked about but didnt really give a clear cut/professional opinion
I've rang Good Year, Michelin, Tyre Power, Beaurepairs etc and other independents to hear a variety of answers such as yes you must use light truck tyres or they will burst... and some say there is no need with the weight of my boat.
It makes sense to say 'well the boat isnt that heavy so therefore the passenger tyres will be okay' but someone said that "because" the boat is so light, it will bounce around on the road and therefore more load is applied.

Upgrading to 13" steel wheels from these tiny 8" integrals. If someone could also give a rough idea on its weight (pictures below) that'd be great!

http://i1147.photobucket.com/albums/o542/BenHannahM/2012-08-13140653.jpg

http://i1147.photobucket.com/albums/o542/BenHannahM/2012-08-13140713.jpg

Thanks guys :)

johncar
13-08-2012, 02:46 PM
She looks like it would be under 400KG but hard to tell in a photo.
I don't think it would matter what tyres you used and I think car tyres would be fine or light truck, you would probably pick up a couple of 13" car tyres cheaper though.

GBC
13-08-2012, 03:36 PM
It sounds counter intuitive, but LT rated tyres need to run higher pressure than the same sized P rated tyre to carry the same weight. If you want to be confident you could run the boat over a weigh bridge, divide it in half, then check it against the weight rating of the tyre. Assuming your boat falls within the acceptable weight range for a passenger rated 13' tyre (it will), that's what I'd be running every time because the trailer won't be getting belted by 50(odd) psi LT's. The rig will run a lot smoother on car tyres.

Moonlighter
13-08-2012, 03:36 PM
I would go light truck, simply because they have stronger side-walls, and the crude suspension on boat trailers is pretty harsh on tyre side-walls. They arejust all round a bit tougher than car tyres. Few bucks more to buy but worth it.

By the way, the surest way to check the weight of your rig is just to go to the local tip and run across the weighbridge. Tell em you don't eat a certificate, you just would like to know the weight for safet reasons and most of them will tell you and not charge anything. If they are ok to do that just drive forward so the car is off the bridge but the trailer is still on.

I don't think you will be anywhere near this, but remember, more than 750kg and you need brakes on the trailer.

Cheers

ML

Noelm
13-08-2012, 03:42 PM
I like LT tyres for boats, simply because of the chance of getting a cut from rocks (handbrakes) people leave all over boat ramps, however, there is plenty of boats around that are way over sprung, and the only "give" is in the tyre, standard tyres will be fine on that boat by the way.

outta line
13-08-2012, 04:37 PM
think you will get a shock when you price a LT tyre in 13'...not a common size other than trailers .....they will be around the $130 mark each ..... mick

tunaticer
13-08-2012, 05:07 PM
I would source a light off road tyre for this trailer that is designed for relatively low pressure, 20-25psi roughly. The lower pressure will absorb the rebound shock from the springs substantially on such a light boat.
IMO i think light truck tyres on light boats and traliers does more damages long term than good because of this rebound factor from the springs.
Car tyres would do the job nicely, but if you venture along corrugated roads you may be left wishing for something more robust.

I am yet to lose a tyre to a rock chock left on a ramp.......maybe next weekend i might now that i said that.

Gon Fishun
13-08-2012, 05:08 PM
Holden HK-T-G gal hubs, Holden bearings, ( Timken ) 13 inch gal rims with passenger tyres, not second hand or recap, must be new. You could tow it to Vic and back with that set up.

wayno60
13-08-2012, 08:30 PM
Im with GBC.....

Horse
13-08-2012, 08:58 PM
I would be looking at passenger tyres

FordGT
13-08-2012, 09:09 PM
Holden HK-T-G gal hubs, Holden bearings, ( Timken ) 13 inch gal rims with passenger tyres, not second hand or recap, must be new. You could tow it to Vic and back with that set up.

My vote is for the above. That's what I've got except I've gone with the truck tyres because my setup is 1320kg ATM.

ozscott
14-08-2012, 05:17 AM
It sounds counter intuitive, but LT rated tyres need to run higher pressure than the same sized P rated tyre to carry the same weight. If you want to be confident you could run the boat over a weigh bridge, divide it in half, then check it against the weight rating of the tyre. Assuming your boat falls within the acceptable weight range for a passenger rated 13' tyre (it will), that's what I'd be running every time because the trailer won't be getting belted by 50(odd) psi LT's. The rig will run a lot smoother on car tyres.

I have wondered about that before. Why though? Much tougher carcass and heavier duty walls...surely a Lt at 30 PSI versus its max of 80 psi (using say a 245/75/16 on a mid weight 4wd) is going to carry more weight safely thAn the same size passenger tire at the same pressure? Cheers

GBC
14-08-2012, 10:01 AM
I have attached a link which sort of explains it in laymens terms which I could understand.
I also have a scientist's thesis on it which has more vectors than a lunar landing program. I can email it you wish.
After reading that I decided that P rated tyres carry more on less pressure for the same reason that burger rings taste like burgers - because they just do ;)

http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=toyo%20load%20range%20e&source=web&cd=2&sqi=2&ved=0CGAQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.toyotires.com.au%2F_literatur e_39248%2FTTT-127(No_02-003)_Tyre_Inflation_Part_4-Revised&ei=k5MpUKmGHOejiAfv1IC4Bg&usg=AFQjCNGgMBkr4vExWmGDyax6N1gJU2BhtQ

ozscott
14-08-2012, 03:01 PM
Thanks GBC - much appreciated. We dont stop learning!

Cheers

outwide1
14-08-2012, 04:41 PM
After 14 years in the tyre industry i would go l/t tyres.
With an 8 ply side wall and higher load rating its piece of mind.
We use to wholesale a 165r13 l/t tyre to the stores for about $55+tax.
I can reveal this as i no longer work in the industry.
Give me a pm or post what area your in and i can steer you in the right direction.
Mick.

bensparkyspark
19-08-2012, 08:18 PM
Hi guys thanks for all the replies. I ended up going for light truck, and will put them at 25psi. Other wise the ride is to hard. See pics below. So good to have piece of mind with these new wheels.

I realised the boat was too high, I've changed it since this photo was taken... axles on top of spring now...
http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/4339/20120818142615.jpg

http://img696.imageshack.us/img696/3611/20120818200046.jpg

Ben

Toddy_again
19-08-2012, 09:08 PM
think you will get a shock when you price a LT tyre in 13'...not a common size other than trailers .....they will be around the $130 mark each ..... mick

I got a pait of 13" light truck tyres about 3 months ago for $86 each.

Toddy

bensparkyspark
20-08-2012, 01:31 PM
$90 each for mine...

Ben

Dave666
20-08-2012, 03:17 PM
Toddy Again & Bensparkyspark,

What brand did you guys purchase? I am finding it difficult to price 13" outside of Nankang, Federal & Maxxis - all around the $125 per tyre mark.

Thanks
Dave

bensparkyspark
21-08-2012, 08:46 AM
Hi Dave,
Mine are Nankang... Got them in from Beurepairs. $280 for 2 tires with 2 rims ($50 each)

Ben

Chimo
21-08-2012, 09:41 AM
Watch out for delamination / bubbles on those. I had a set of 4 and had to ditch the lot when they started falling to bits. Gave the trailer a hiding with the boat off it; in your case being light it would shake the bolts out of your motor and the welds in the boat and trailer will be tested too. Good luck with them.

C
C

outta line
21-08-2012, 10:15 AM
I got a pait of 13" light truck tyres about 3 months ago for $86 each.

Toddy

Toddy thats a gr8 price $ 86 is that fitted? What size are they ? I should of stated around $130 for 185/13'.... Mick

GBC
21-08-2012, 01:47 PM
Watch out for delamination / bubbles on those. I had a set of 4 and had to ditch the lot when they started falling to bits. Gave the trailer a hiding with the boat off it; in your case being light it would shake the bolts out of your motor and the welds in the boat and trailer will be tested too. Good luck with them.

C
C

Same again. Hands up anyone who hasn't had Nankang eggs? But at least they're LT's.............................................. ...

If you don't see them on cars/trucks/vans, don't put them under your pride and joy. We have had a great run out of Federal Ecovan tyres on our trailer.

Chimo
21-08-2012, 03:11 PM
Funny that, I've now got Federals on my boat trailer too!

Cheers
Chimo

ozscott
21-08-2012, 04:37 PM
I have had Maxxis on my Disco for about 80,000k and they have been fantastic in LT. I must have had Maxxis LT on 13's on my dual axle trailer now for about 4-5 years and they too have been the bees knees. I have just changed to General Grabber AT2 in LT for my Disco, looking for something more aggressive off road (although the Bravo 751 was surprisingly good), and they will need some breaking in and mucking around with pressures - not as forgiving as Maxxis.

Cheers

Toddy_again
21-08-2012, 07:10 PM
They are Kenda 155 13.

Toddy

rooboy98
21-08-2012, 09:17 PM
I have been running Goodyear Wrangler DT 165R13C tyres for nearly 10 years now. They are not stamped LT on the casing but are still an 8 Ply rated tyre.

I run these at 28psi off road all the time and other than staking one through the sidewall, they have been pretty good. The last one I bought earlier this year cost me $145 fitted but I'm sure you guys could source them a bit cheaper than that down there.

May be worth a look if you are chasing a 13" tyre.

Cheers,
Roo.

bensparkyspark
22-08-2012, 08:06 AM
Ok so it might look like i've got some nasty tires. I cant see why they would die quickly if I look after them and I'm sure tire pressure has to do with it. I rang Nankang directly and he told me with 380kg (the weight of my boat and trailer) to still run them at between 35-40 pound. He said the sidewalls cannot do all the 'work' and need to stay as stiff as possible.

Chimo, what pressure did you run the Nankangs that were buggered at? And bubbles? More info? Thanks.
Ben

Chimo
22-08-2012, 09:29 AM
Ran all four of them at around 45psi to 50psi and they were a few years old and still had about 85 to 90% tread as boat trailer tyres tend to do as they dont usually travel far. Mine would have been lucky to do twenty kms to and from the ramp which is why I was not happy when they grew bubbles and started bouncing the boatless trailer and the vehicle towing it.

They will probably be fine for you for some time, at least.

Cheers
Chimo

aardvarkscotty
23-08-2012, 05:12 PM
I'm with Chimo, stay away from the Nankangs as also had problems with 'eggs' on them, kept them around 50psi....gradually replaced them with other brands (cant remember what I have at the moment but its not Nankangs!) over the years and never had an issue with the replacements.