PDA

View Full Version : what paint

doctorbob
12-08-2012, 08:27 PM
I an ready to paint the gunwhales on my quintrex reno and am wondering what paint would be ok. I don't have a shed to paint in and am wondering if it would be possible to get a good finish with a brush rather than spraying. Also I'm thinking automotive 2 pack may be ok with a bit of hardener in it alrhough I am not a painter. Hoping to paint Monday tuesday then ready for final fitout and launch. More photos to follow in next few days.
Rob.

Seahorse
12-08-2012, 08:34 PM
2 PAC only way to go. What part of Brisbane u in?

doctorbob
12-08-2012, 08:48 PM
Sunny Tasmania

doctorbob
12-08-2012, 08:50 PM
Lost Ur pm seahorse could u send again please

Seahorse
13-08-2012, 08:24 AM
Sorry mate I am in Brisbane.
But the aerosol that u can do urself is called a preval unit. It allows u to put in your own paint, ie 2 PAC, acrylic, enamel, whatever.
I have just done my wheels on the jet ski trailer. In 2 PAC out of an aerosol.
After use, just run thinners throught and if enough gas left, can be reused. U then just buy a replacement gas canister. Whole unit on costs $20

Cheers
Greg

centrefire
13-08-2012, 09:28 AM
Mate, I was advised once to try brushing Ampol, which is a water based paint on my tinny. Washed it down with sugar soap and went to it with a decent brush. After two years, the only missing paint was from the anchor scrapes. Each to their own I suppose...

Seahorse
13-08-2012, 06:15 PM
Yeah I guess. Just couldn't imagine a water base having a long term gloss and uv like 2 PAC.

stevemid
14-08-2012, 06:27 AM
you could also roll and tip.. Need to experiment with thinning. Min 3 coats. linear polyurethanes flow out the best. Both Sterling and Alexseal as well as Awlgrip are well known performers with different part "b" for roll and tip.

Stuart
14-08-2012, 11:08 AM
Yep polyurethanes are the best as well as the highest asking price per litre. I would prep the section to paint and use an epoxy primer then an epoxy two pak.

Seahorse
14-08-2012, 05:54 PM
If its back to bare allie then would only need a single PAC etch. Only need 2 pac epoxy if deep scratches that need filling. Any auto 2 PAC is perfect.

centrefire
17-08-2012, 01:20 PM
My apologies gentlemen. Foot in mouth at it's best I'm afraid.
That paint I suggested wasn't Ampol, it's Hempel semi-gloss top coat and primer and it's not water based either. Just found the tin in the shed.
Worth a shot if the tinny doesn't warrant 2 pac etc.

Cheers.