PDA

View Full Version : Fibreglass repair and the likes.

Muddy Toes
12-08-2012, 04:01 PM
Now I've got rid of my transom mount transducer I'm left with a few screw holes in the transom.I bought some epoxy to fill them with and some Flowcoat brush on stuff to finish them off with.
So as per the instructions of the guy I bought the stuff off I filled the holes with Epoxy and sanded them back so the epoxy is flush with the hull.All good, except for when I painted the Flowcoat on and sanded it back obviously the Flowcoat was all sanded off because the epoxy ended up being flush with the hull.I thought it was a bit strange when he was explaining it and I even asked him whether or not to leave the epoxy a bit shallower than the existing but he assured me to just make it flush.
So a couple of strange blokes came round this morning and told me I need to get the epoxy a bit shy of the hull and build the rest up with Flowcoat which makes sense to me so I did and all is good in the world for the time being.
So my question is......How thick/deep can Flowcoat be applied?

Second question is how do I fill in spider cracks.I've got a couple where self tapping screws were used but the cracks aren't big/wide enough to take any Flowcoat.Do I need to gouge out a 'V' along it so it takes the stuff or am I totally off track.
I'm only a newbie to this whole repairing thing but I don't want to wreck my boat by doing a half-assed job on it.

Cheers.

BM
12-08-2012, 04:34 PM
Yes, vee out the cracks slightly (die grinder or dremel type tool) and backfill with flowcoat and sand fair. Then sand the area with increasing grades of paper and finish off with a polish.

cobiaman
12-08-2012, 06:10 PM
Im sure someone out there has a dremel...

Backto basics
12-08-2012, 06:33 PM
Flowcoat is not ment to go over epoxy. You would have been better of using pollyester resin and flowcoat. Yes, just grind out the crack and fill with flowcoat. You can also use gel coat for a better coulor mach on newer boats as flowcoat is not the same coulor as gel coat. Gel coat will set sticky so you will need to add wax and styrine or patch aid.

Australian Fibreglass Traders at 84 Beverage rd thornlands has all the advice and product you need in what ever quantity you want, INC gel coat, flowcoat, rein, bog filler, sand paper, polish.

Tangles
12-08-2012, 06:45 PM
Im sure someone out there has a dremel...

Music to my ears....I have a Dremel!! Muddy we are leaving around 9.30 if you want it

thelump
12-08-2012, 08:08 PM
Weren't you at school the day they warned about talking to strangers? Those two blokes probably don't know much. At least I know one of them doesn't

madmackrel
12-08-2012, 08:25 PM
Mud have you got a compressor if so you can borrow my die grinder , im in alex hills.

Muddy Toes
12-08-2012, 09:30 PM
Thanks for the replies guys and the offer Perry.
I'm going to take Mike up on his offer so that's one thing sorted...all the gear, no idea.::)

So BtB.....when you say Flowcoat is not 'meant' to go over epoxy does that mean it wont adhere to it or is there another reason.
Only reason I ask is because the holes have epoxy in them now so I don't want to go any further if I'm doing it wrong.And what about that styrine and wax stuff....Ole mate at the shop never said anything like that to me, he only gave me the Flowcoat and the catalyst stuff.

While I've got a few experts here....where can I get some gelcoat or flowcoat tinted to my hull colour?At the moment I'm just doing the white stuff but what about when I have to do the parts of the hull that are blue where do I go and how do I get the correct colour/shade?

Thanks again guys.....especially for the stranger danger warning Macca, I'll be sure to ignore those blokes next time I see them.