PDA

View Full Version : Boat trailer locks? Which are best?

thesquidking
11-08-2012, 07:35 PM
Hi guys,
I have just purchased a new BMT package and before i take my new boat out on the water i want to make sure i have the best thieve deterrent trailer locks that i can get.
The better ones i have come across so far are the klamp-it wheel clamps and the hitch helmet. Which is better?
Have i missed any or are there any better locking devices out there?
How do you guys ensure your trailer is still at the ramp when you return from a great day on the water as i can only imagine the shock of seeing your trailer has been stolen by some low lifes.

Cheers.

Crunchy
11-08-2012, 09:30 PM
Klamp-it, good visual deterrent and effective....or if you want to go the whole hog use multiple options, klamp-it, hitch helmet, alarm.....

Chas & Clarry
11-08-2012, 10:10 PM
We just use this at the boat ramp...but our trailer is a pretty basic Redco Sportsman, and to be honest probably 25% of the time I forget to lock it at all :-[

We use a wheel clamp if we leave the trailer off the car in public for any reason

Tim and Trace

timddo
11-08-2012, 10:25 PM
I use he same as trace. Except I spray my trailer will fish oil and keep it dirty. Criminals will always take the shinny trailer next to yours.

cormorant
11-08-2012, 11:01 PM
The better ones I have come across so far are the klamp-it wheel clamps and the hitch helmet. Which is better?

Use both, leave hitch helmet on all the time, padlock through the spare wheel and use a locking hitch pin.

Bets advice keep it locked up and out of sight when at home - can't steal it if they can't see it.

Tectyl your trailer - it'll last longer and because it looks muddy brown thieves may choose teh shiny trailer.

Feral
12-08-2012, 07:56 AM
I just use a plain quality padlock on the hitch chains to the vehicle (after the D shackles off course). Through the main tow bar (not the tongue)

johncar
12-08-2012, 08:44 AM
I use a fairly solid hardened chain and padlock between the car and trailer plus the hitchlock pins and things, but the main thing I try to do is to back the trailer in somewhere and wheels or frame hard up against something. Although all you can do can be overcome by someone determined enough to steal you hard earned, just always make it difficult and the lazy scumbags will hopefully move on to an easier target.

chris_s
12-08-2012, 09:21 AM
Locks of any kind are only to deter the honest thief. Club marine supports the use of hitch helmet and not the use of chains etc. more anti theft devices the better but make sure what ever you use Is supported by your insurance company or you could just be opening another can of worms with them should something happen.

Still_Dreamin
12-08-2012, 08:22 PM
I use the same as Tim and Trace. Always reverse against pole gutter etc.

Chas & Clarry
13-08-2012, 06:38 AM
... to be honest probably 25% of the time I forget to lock it at all...
Tim and Trace

Given the "insurance' comments on here I will be ensuring I use it 100% in future...

Tim and Trace

TREVELLY
13-08-2012, 07:08 AM
Look at

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?176813-Improving-a-Dunbier

post 1

Seriously hard to beat.

thesquidking
13-08-2012, 09:51 AM
Thanks to everyone who replied.
I am not going to take any chances I am going to buy a hitch helmet and a klamp it for the sake of a few hundred bucks.
From what I have read so far these seem to be what insurance companies regard as the best deterrents.

Cheers guys.

wayno60
13-08-2012, 10:33 AM
The germans have a good one its called the sheperd. Can be fixed anywhere to the trailer, also doubles as home security as well.

Boat Hog
13-08-2012, 10:57 AM
The germans have a good one its called the sheperd. Can be fixed anywhere to the trailer, also doubles as home security as well.

Or you could upgrade to the Rotweiler or Doberman models. Although, people will try to steal these so best to fix them to the trailer as wayno said.

TREVELLY
13-08-2012, 11:42 AM
Thanks to everyone who replied.
I am not going to take any chances I am going to buy a hitch helmet and a klamp it for the sake of a few hundred bucks.
From what I have read so far these seem to be what insurance companies regard as the best deterrents.

Cheers guys.

As mentioned in my post - do upgrade the lock - the good ones are $60 - worth every cent.

thesquidking
13-08-2012, 02:54 PM
[QUOTE=TREVELLY;1410921]As mentioned in my post - do upgrade the lock - the good ones are $60 - worth every cent.[/QUOTE

Will do mate.
Thanks.

Lancair
13-08-2012, 07:55 PM
Klamp-It on the rear outside wheel, highly visible and a hitch lock with a $60 padlock. (well, it was expensive anyway)

Those yellow and red wheel clamps, like a horseshoe type arrangment that clamps the wheel, are F#$%ing useless.