PDA

View Full Version : Suzuki 4 Stroke review

Ispearem
10-08-2012, 09:44 PM
Hi all,

chasing some info on Suzuki 4 strokes. has anyone had any experiences with them worth noting?? It is hard to get good info from dealers as they tend to tell you anything to get the sale.... The outboard Im chasing is a 90Hp...

glad to hear any reviews - good or bad..

cheers

boatboy50
10-08-2012, 09:54 PM
Hey Mate,

Believe what you hear.

I'm on my second 115hp, and have owned other Zuk's in between also, and they are truly great.

5 year warranty says it all.

Darren

bustastu
10-08-2012, 10:03 PM
Presently an owner of a Suzuki 250hp. Cant fault it.

Moonlighter
10-08-2012, 10:37 PM
The new lightweight 90 has a very very good reputation. I wouldn't hesitate getting one if it suits your boat..

Currently have a DF115, very nice.

Cheers

ML

Mrs Ronnie H
10-08-2012, 11:19 PM
Hi
We have a new 90 on our boat and cannot fault it. Quiet, good fuel consumption-- what more would you ask for.

Ronnie

WalrusLike
11-08-2012, 06:47 AM
Nah.... Their no good mate.

Folk pull them out of the water, trailer them home, park em in the driveway all the while having forgotten to turn them off because their too quiet. It's bad for the environment having them running for a week at a time. :)

Mrs Ronnie H
11-08-2012, 12:36 PM
Nah.... Their no good mate.

Folk pull them out of the water, trailer them home, park em in the driveway all the while having forgotten to turn them off because their too quiet. It's bad for the environment having them running for a week at a time. :)

Our first outing and got back to the ramp. Raised the motor to drift into shore. Hubby goes for quick pit stop and on his return asks why the prop is still rotating-- WHOOPS- forgot to turn it off -- ahhh the piece and quiet of a good motor. Thank goodness it was only a couple of minutes.

Ronnie

Chas & Clarry
11-08-2012, 01:50 PM
Our first outing and got back to the ramp. Raised the motor to drift into shore. Hubby goes for quick pit stop and on his return asks why the prop is still rotating-- WHOOPS- forgot to turn it off -- ahhh the piece and quiet of a good motor. Thank goodness it was only a couple of minutes.

Ronnie

Wow...I thought that was a joke at first ::)

Jarrah Jack
11-08-2012, 04:50 PM
Hi ispermem I had a 98 70 hp 4 stroke and its still going well with no issues ever. A very good motor.

TREVELLY
11-08-2012, 05:30 PM
Some info here

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?186395-suzuki-175

winston
11-08-2012, 07:30 PM
Ispearem, I have a 140 Suzuki 140 fourstroke and it is a wonderful motor, quiet and economical, truly an exemplary piece of technology. It does have it's downsides, namely it's lacklustre holeshot and the absolutely ridiculous purchase price. These motors in the US are a fraction of what we pay in Australia. I guess that if I had the import rights I would charge as much as the market could bear. Cheers, Winston.

purnong
11-08-2012, 08:15 PM
Ispearem, I have a 140 Suzuki 140 fourstroke and it is a wonderful motor, quiet and economical, truly an exemplary piece of technology. It does have it's downsides, namely it's lacklustre holeshot and the absolutely ridiculous purchase price.

Sounds like you are not entirely happy Winston

WalrusLike
11-08-2012, 08:38 PM
Wow...I thought that was a joke at first ::)

Um.... er.... I did intend it as a joke... I didn't realize that it could actually sort of happen! :)

Andy H
11-08-2012, 10:09 PM
We took our new boat out today and it has a 140 4 stroke suzuki and its amazing! It sounds like an angry blender when you give it some.

johncar
12-08-2012, 08:54 AM
My DF250 is running nicely with only 100Hrs so far and will soon be in the market for a DF80 or 90, The DF250 is an awesome engine, reletively quiet and economical for its output, gives nice low speed and cruising performance with loads of power on demand with no issues to report as you should expect :)

Dicktracey
12-08-2012, 09:19 AM
Ispearem, I have a 140 Suzuki 140 fourstroke and it is a wonderful motor, quiet and economical, truly an exemplary piece of technology. It does have it's downsides, namely it's lacklustre holeshot and the absolutely ridiculous purchase price. These motors in the US are a fraction of what we pay in Australia. I guess that if I had the import rights I would charge as much as the market could bear. Cheers, Winston.
Sounds like you are over propped or the leg is too low Winston ?

winston
12-08-2012, 01:59 PM
Dicktracey, propping is "spot on", I have replaced the dealer fitted 21" aluminium prop which would on spin to 5500 rpm to a Solas 19" prop which spins to 6200 rpm. This also includes raising the motor one hole. Hole shot is now ok but it isn't a two stoke. After comming from a background in two strokes (as we all did, at least us older buggers) I felt that the holeshot was a little disappointing. Don't get me wrong, I love my Suzuki but I wonder what an etec 130 would have been like. Regarding my comment concerning purchase price, I don't believe we should pay a 60% premium for our outboards compared to the US. Cheers Winston.

Dicktracey
12-08-2012, 04:08 PM
Dicktracey, propping is "spot on", I have replaced the dealer fitted 21" aluminium prop which would on spin to 5500 rpm to a Solas 19" prop which spins to 6200 rpm. This also includes raising the motor one hole. Hole shot is now ok but it isn't a two stoke. After comming from a background in two strokes (as we all did, at least us older buggers) I felt that the holeshot was a little disappointing. Don't get me wrong, I love my Suzuki but I wonder what an etec 130 would have been like. Regarding my comment concerning purchase price, I don't believe we should pay a 60% premium for our outboards compared to the US. Cheers Winston.
Winston I have the same motor and prop on my 6m glass Boat, my original prop was a 17" 3 blade Suzuki alloy,Replaced it with 19" x13 7/8 Solas unhappy with performance of Solas I had it scanned to fine one blade 19" and the other 2 18 1/2" pitch I had the solas cut back down to 17 1/2" and recupped different boat again I mainly fish offshore last trip I cruised for economy at 5-5200 rpm 20-25knts I used 100l of fuel for a 180km trip wide open throttle it will still pull 34knots I actually gained 2 knts after cutting it back to 3 equal blades.
PM me if you want any further info mate.
Dick

Swanie1975
12-08-2012, 07:19 PM
ive wondered the same thing as winston - the 2 motors i narrowed it down to were the 130 etec or the 140 suzi. im stoked with the suzis low noise levels, no smoke or 2 stroke oil and great fuel econ (about 2.2ks per litre) but i do find the holeshot not quite as good as my previous 140 2 smoker:P

funny aint it how you wonder about what would have happened if id gone with the etec;D
im spinning a 20p merc trophy plus out to 6300rpm and raised one hole from the dealer.
i do love my suzi with no probs to report. aint the 90/115 the same block

cheers ryan

Noelm
13-08-2012, 07:56 AM
90 and 115 are not the same motor, the 70A, 80A and 90A are the same "family" what do you want o know about them? i have had a pair of 90A's for over a year now, and I will tell you anything that I feel is not what I expected, no glossing over things for me, not brand laoyal in any way.