PDA

View Full Version : Yalta Craft 555 modifications

captain red beard
10-08-2012, 01:06 PM
Just interested to see if anyone has done major mods to their yalta Craft.
Has anyone pulled the floor up to inspect how much room there is underneath. I was thinking about putting extra storage/kill tank under the floor. I assume there is a cavity either side of the boat where the outer bungs drain from?

My boat has extra fuel tanks mounted in the rear, approx 30lt either side of the boat. Not a big fan of the way the tanks are designed but I definately need the extra fuel and wont be changing it anytime soon. The tanks were already fitted when i bought the boat.

Has anyone added extra fuel tanks or replaced the original with a larger one?
Has anyone added water tanks etc to their Yalta ?

I can try and post some photos of my boat if anyone else is interested. Would be great to see or here of any other mods people have done.
Cheers Red Beard

Fed
10-08-2012, 01:56 PM
Not a Yalta (17' Seafarer Viking) but I've got the outer bungs & I think your set up would be much the same.
Open down the middle with a sealed section on each side, do you have lift up floor panels?

captain red beard
10-08-2012, 02:29 PM
I really like the idea of the lift up floor, thats how all boats should be. I'm not real sure if my boat has any lift out floors as it has carpet glued down and I haven't pulled it up. Yet. I think the yaltas are a sealed floor.

turkeyslapper
10-08-2012, 03:29 PM
Hi Redbeard, I have a 535 Allrounder & have been toying with the idea of putting a larger fuel tank in but have been hesitant because of not knowing what I am going to be greeted with when we pull the floor up.I was led to beleive my boat had a 120L fuel tank in it but have never been able to put any more than 80L in it. I wuold like to get rid of the glue down carpet & put in a clip in cover & the idea of a pull up floor sounds good too.Does anyone here know what the actual fuel capacity for a 535 Allrounder is? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,Pat

thelump
10-08-2012, 03:54 PM
The floors in the yaltas are sealed. The only way to get it up is to cut it out! As far as the fuel tanks are concerned get in touch with George from Yalta as they have made changes over the years. I have an 03 555 and apparently they came out with the 615 fuel tanks and hold 180l. They changed them a few years later and now only hold 150. Apparently? Maybe you need to run the 535 tank dry and start from there. Thats what I did with mine when I repowered it and realised it held more than 150. I initially put 100 litres in from empty then did around 37 litres of driving (yammy fuel usage guages are great) Went to top it up thinking it would take about 90 litres and it took 113. So bigger than 150!

captain red beard
11-08-2012, 08:10 AM
Thanks for that Jason. I will try and see if i can get in contact with George to find out what the go is with the fuel tanks. I wouldn't hesitate cutting the floor out if I knew I could fit a bigger tank.

Lancair
11-08-2012, 09:20 AM
Id say you're lucky the fuel tank is actually bigger than they say it is Jason.
My tournament 1800 comes with a quoted 160L fuel tank. I had to park my boat outside at a friends for a few weeks, next time I used it, guages showed approx 40L remaining, I put another 20 in thinking 60 was heaps for a few trips on a freshwater lake with my kids.
So after using about 35L on the lake, it stopped, 5 miles from the ramp. On filling it up, the 1st time Id done it from a known empty, imagine my surprise when it wouldnt take more than 142L !!!! Ive since lifted the floor in the boat, measured the fuel tanks external dimensions and it CANNOT possible hold more than 145L. I now use 140L as my total fuel capacity.
Im also going to install an inspection port in the tank and make a dipstick so I can dip the tank and acurately know what is onboard. Fuel gauges and trip computers calculating fuel use etc can be unreliable. Luckily the running out occured in the safety of a lake, not miles out to sea or while crossing a bar!