PDA

View Full Version : How secure is your boat?

WalrusLike
10-08-2012, 12:49 PM
Just wondering what people do.... I had to tie up to a dock for a couple of hours by arrangement with marina.

Was wondering if I should strip it or not... I didn't bother and all ok. Wondering what other folk do.

I figure no one will steal the $400 epirb since its registered and therefore useless to another... Although that might not stop a thief.

The motor could go, but getting unlikely at the 115hp size. Binoculars, anchor, ropes.... Not worth nicking I would have thought.

What about when boats on trailer and you want to stop for a feed? any thoughts or experiences?

Postal
10-08-2012, 12:57 PM
Personally I wouldnt leave anything or value in my boat that isnt bolted down. If you have a souder/plotter make sure you take the map chip out, they are prime targets.

Roughasguts
10-08-2012, 01:16 PM
To to jaycar or similar and find a $20.00 motion sensor alarm with remote.
Only problem I find with them battery only lasts a few weeks but they make plenty of noise when they go off.

I got one in the garage for when I have the doors open for a while and one for the Caravan when out and about!

I bought mine at Dick Smith but they have nuthen electronic now!

Cheers

MTAQ/BTAQ
10-08-2012, 03:35 PM
I had my jet ski on a trailer stolen while I watched about 50 meters away, we gave chase and recovered it (see the Lost/Stolen sub menu here on Ausfish and OZPWC for the details). The bottom line is that a major item like this is covered by insurance provided you have an approved locking device (trailer lock costs about $30), however, if you do not have a locking device than you pay a 20% excess.

WalrusLike
10-08-2012, 05:48 PM
Hey that motion sensor is a good idea... I never thought of that. (though it's bloody obvious now you say it... like all good ideas)

Yeah mate I read your ski thread when it happened... stupid jerks.

Thanks fellas.

WalrusLike
10-08-2012, 05:51 PM
Postal my plotter is mounted in dash.... It is removable quickly if you have plier/cutters and don't mind ripping off a cover sheet.

Do you mean the in dash sort or only the bracket mounted ones?

Linedropper
10-08-2012, 06:52 PM
Had a motor go missing overnight from a boat dealer years ago. Don't leave my boat overnight after a service now.

In the driveway she's locked up tight. Wheel clamp, hitch lock, chain round a tree, car parked in front 90% of the time and tarp over boat only showing a very crappy looking tailer. It will be much easier for them to knock off the boat down the street that only has a hitchlock on so I sleep at night (and at work) ok.

Leaving the boat unattended in the water at the ramp full of gear worries me more. I cover the electronics, stash the tackle and make the rods difficult to remove easily. Key out of ignition and take phone and iPod etc with me to the car.

Chas & Clarry
10-08-2012, 07:53 PM
We hate leaving the boat unattended on the water. Have done it a few times with nothing stolen but we do remove anything obviously valuable...don;t really relax when we do it though.

I think the motion alarm is a good idea and will look into it I think.

Tim and Trace

WalrusLike
10-08-2012, 09:01 PM
Yeah I agree about the don't really relax and that the alarm is a good idea..... It shows once again how good this forum is. Thanks RAG.

BTW: my mate reckons all my work is done by RoughAsGuts Engineering, :)

bustastu
10-08-2012, 10:10 PM
Depends on what marina you leave it at i suppose. We leave ours for weeks on end each year within the Hamilton Island Marina and have had nothing stolen to date. It is the smallest and cheapest boat in the marina thou........

Mr__Bean
10-08-2012, 10:14 PM
A few years ago at a ramp in Victoria there was a guy yelling in the carpark.

Someone stole his ETEC engine cover while he was at the cleaning table.

Not a fabric cover, the whole big white plastic / fibreglass one.

Darren