PDA

View Full Version : 4x4 boat trailer plans/ideas

Herby13
09-08-2012, 09:08 PM
Gday,

Around mid next year im planning on doing a trip for about 4 moths to the cape, and all the way around to the Kimberleys etc. I am planning on towing a 4.5 - 5m tinny around with me. I have been looking around at a couple different designs for making a 4x4 boat trailer that will be a little more supportive to the boat on the rough roads and give it a little more clearance.

A few ideas i have been tossing up are:
- modify the trailer it comes on
- making a complete new trailer
- independant suspension
- mounting tyres on the trailer as runners/supports that will takes the impact
- increasing the centre runners to help with supporting the weight evenly

Has anybody had any experience with any of the above or has anyone got there own design they would be willing to share?

Any info at all would be greatly appriciated.

cormorant
09-08-2012, 09:33 PM
Put your tinny on it's existing trailer( removable draw bar) in a low profile enclosed dual axel trailer and carry all the stuff ( spares, battery, freezer, genny ) dry and dust free in the dual axel enclosed with no stress or damage to the tinny. Pull it out when you need it and out of sight the rest of the time and with water, fuel , tyres and all the extras in the trailer the tow vehicle will do it much easier and not break. Can sleep on top of the trailer next to the solar panels , dry and animal free and with a tarp to bat proof shade as well.

You could even throw a pull out kitchen in the side of it.

Come back and sell it to the next bloke.

Lovey and another on here are building HD trailers and have threads up at the minute. Depends on how light you travel and what tow vehicle you are taking and if it is already fitted out etc etc.

That is my idea. Probably not what you were thinking. Toy hauler baically

Bigger rims on this and different springs and a bit lower profile on this? Not cheap.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/enclosed-car-trailer-/261077240722?pt=AU_Trailers&hash=item3cc96a8b92

tunaticer
10-08-2012, 04:55 PM
I suggest altering your running boards to have 40mm black poly pipe laid over the top, Cushions the boat from harsh impacts whilst on corrugated/ rough roads. The pros at Stanage Bay run them for good reason. Plus they are slipperier than normal running boards.
In my opinion, avoid multiroller setups for serious offroad work, you need to spread the load much more than where the rollers sit.

Corry
13-08-2012, 08:04 AM
Seen these up at Prossy River a few months back. Loved the idea of both.
This ones got it all, full protection, air bags, elec winch. All I'd change is to swap one of the eskies for a fuel tank.

This one was more basic, but probably more achievable if modifying existing trailer.

Cheers
Corry
http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/images/misc/pencil.png