PDA

View Full Version : outboard support when trailering?????????

dan sheard
06-08-2012, 05:15 PM
Dudes,
Just wondering what is the correct way to support an outboard leg while on the trailer.
I have been told different things and not sure which way to do it ? I have a new outboard and I don't want to f#%k anything up.
Cheers Dan...

Moonlighter
06-08-2012, 05:24 PM
Hi Dan

Most engine manufacturers deal with this issue in the owners manual, and there are, apparently, different approaches recommended by different manufacturers.

So that should be your first port of call. Have a read and see what they recommend.

For what it's worth, to my knowledge Suzuki and Yamaha Recommmend against trailering with the motor on the tilt lock. On my current Suzuki 115, I just put a length of 50 x 75 mm pine across under the bracket and trim the engine down so that it clamps tight. Just have to make sure it doesn't crush any fittings, lines etc. I put the wood quite high up, above the TNT motor.

This is what my dealer suggested to me, and it works fine. Hasn't moved on several long highway trips. Cheap, too!

Cheers

ML

Fed
06-08-2012, 05:34 PM
You'd think if a motor needed additional support the onus would be on the manufacturer to supply it.

Now I'm missing Hogan's Heroes.:P

Blusta
06-08-2012, 05:47 PM
I did the same as Moonlighter six years ago when I bought a new boat. Made up a bracket of 45mm by 195mm wide pine I had left over. Shaped the timber to fit between the engine and the mount. Bring the motor down to snug on the bracket. For a such a classy piece of kit I added rubber pads to save the paint work and short 6mm ropes to tie the wood block to the mount lest it come adrift and end up in someone's windscreen.

dan sheard
06-08-2012, 06:32 PM
Thanks Guys,
Sounds like the goods,
Cheers Dan

Monkey
06-08-2012, 08:26 PM
This is what I use on my new Yamaha outboard...
http://yshop.yamaha-motor.com.au/products/trailer-tilt-motor-support-0
There is a thread on this forum about using rubber rollers off boat trailers to do the same thing.
Mine cost $70 but works well and I think its worth the money.

zan0_15
06-08-2012, 08:41 PM
Ive fabricated a bracket from the leg of the outboard to my trailer to take the stress off the transom. mines a suzuki and using the locking mechanism it comes with from factory is not an option, if i used it the motor is just ridiculously to high.

tunaticer
06-08-2012, 09:11 PM
I tralier my boat with the outboard down, I figure having it elevated will do more damage through tortion of the motor to the transom than anything else could. With it down it just takes vertical weight, not tortion.
I have ample skeg clearance off the ground when trailering.

truth stretcher
06-08-2012, 10:01 PM
I use two rubber trailer rollers which I put over the trim cylinder rods and lower the outboard back onto them. Ive always worried that if its not on the correct angle maybe its putting a lot of swinging weight on the engine mounting when travelling over bumpy roads.
Yamaha make these so they must have it worked out.
http://www.yamaha-motor.com/outboard/accessories/acscitemdetail/5/258/1095/9131/all/1/8045/0/detail.aspx

Argle
07-08-2012, 11:46 AM
I use the roller over the rod trick on my Suzy - works a treat

fin101
07-08-2012, 06:14 PM
I have one of those new shock absorber things for my yammie, yamaha make them for their motors, it simply slides over the port side trim tilt arm then you drop the motor onto it, takes 2 secs, easy as. I don't see why you could not use it on other makes, you can also cut up to 25mm off the body if need be. Great little item indeed at around $76. Must go on port side .

myusernam
07-08-2012, 06:23 PM
I cant get over how everyone reckons yammies and suzukis are so goog and yet the dont provide an integrated trailering solution like the OMC outboards have for years.
Constantly see these very expensive outboards flailing around on the tilt lock or with some dodgy bit of wood stuck in there. They should take a leaf out of the OMC support system. It's perfect

Blusta
08-08-2012, 07:15 PM
I am insulted. Should I paint my softwood block to match the beautiful Mercury black of my 90 Optimax to undodgy it? Seriously though, Mercury does have a travel lock but it sits the motor almost horizontally which is fine I guess if you drive on excellent roads but I am happy to have it rest on the chock at about 30 to 35 degrees which has much less leverage on all components.

Fed
08-08-2012, 07:41 PM
I was told when I first got into boating to run my old Mercs with them fully up to balance the weight on the transom, half inside & half outside.

I was also told to just use the hydraulics without the locking tabs but they were the old double ram ones that used the same ram for tilt & trim so there was plenty of support there.

More recently with my modern 1988 OMC I was told to use the locking tabs but again, still tilt it all the way up so the the whole weight isn't trying to tear your transom out. Sort of makes sense I guess *shrug*.

Relaxedcamper
11-08-2012, 08:55 PM
Hi I have a 90 Hp Merc Optimax and we love this simple travel bracket. Its maring grade stainless and is so easy to use.

http://i954.photobucket.com/albums/ae28/relaxedcamper/IMG_2095.jpg

http://i954.photobucket.com/albums/ae28/relaxedcamper/IMG_2094.jpg

got the bracket sent in the mail from :

BayMarine.

8 Ashley Park Drive
Chelsea Heights
Victoria 3196
P: 03 9772 1800
F: 03 9772 1311
W: www.baymarine.com.au