PDA

View Full Version : REPOWERING the VICTORY

tenzing
05-08-2012, 09:23 PM
I have been banging on about repowering my seafarer with a four stroke since I got it.
Now that I have added nearly 500 hrs to the 2 banger , I have finally got begrudging approval from the minister for finance to get the job done.

After much research I had narrowed the alternatives down to the suzuki DF175 and the Yamaha 225.
The victory is 1100kg dry and has 225 litres fuel , 50 litres water , and a bit of added weight due to some stainless roof work etc. It has 12" x 9" Bennets tabs fitted.
It is currently powered by a 2005 evinrude 175 DI 2 stroke which has been perfectly reliable . It feels like enough power except when driving up the back of a swell on the way home when it really needs a kick in the guts.
I am not that interested in top end speed ( currently she tops out in the low 70's)

The max Hp the plate allows is 225 HP and max weight is 260kg

Current motor is 200kg. Suzi 220kg,and Yamaha 253 kg (without prop - total 259kg??)

Apart from the obvious purchase cost difference, is the Yammi worth carrying the extra weight? (will it actually come in under the max?)

How will fuel usage differ (Suzi is 4 cyl 2900cc odd . Yammi is 4.2 litre 6 cyl)
Is the suzuki controlled by fly by wire , or cable throttle?

I would love to hear all kinds of advice from anyone who is patient enough to have read this far. I am determined not to troll with the 2 stroke next season!

Brendan

Apologies to Hoga who is also seeking DF175 opinions

jon80
05-08-2012, 09:27 PM
Mate go the 175 I had a Victory the v6 is too heavy
I have been in a new victory with a 175 Suzuki , perfect match

johncar
05-08-2012, 09:36 PM
I'd be thinking the DF175 would be a better choice, prop it right if you are carrying extra load and she should be good uphill. You will save a few $$ and Kilos..

Greg P
05-08-2012, 10:01 PM
DF175 is cable control

tenzing
05-08-2012, 10:30 PM
Any clues to the kind of average fuel economy of 175 on this boat.
Shame Yamaha havent extended their lightweight range down to the next model. A light 200 would be tickety-boo
Brendan

Jakers 69
06-08-2012, 08:26 AM
Hallo Brendan,
I have a Suzuki 175 on the back of my 21 ft Haines Traveller TC 200 AKA Seafarer Vanquish 6.2.
Weight 1150 kg excl. engin , also 50l water, 150l petrol. 140 Hrs on.

More than happy, and more than enough power.
Very good at fuel consumption, have a look at detail fuel specks on VMR stats for their Suzuki engines.

Service cost also low compared to what I have heard from other brands.
PM me if you would like more info.

Smithy
06-08-2012, 09:42 AM
The new 4.2 litre Yammies are awesome bits of gear. New shift system is awesome. No clunking of gears. Two commercial guys I talk to with cats have just repowered and are saving 10-15% fuel just in going from the old model to the new model and same horsepower.

What does a 200-225 Suzuki weigh? If you are running out of horsepower with an Oceanpro 175 you are going to feel the same with another 175. 175hp is 175hp no matter the brand.

FisHard
06-08-2012, 12:22 PM
I've got a 2010 200 Suzi on my 6.2m Seafarer centre consol and its fantastic. Heaps of grunt out of the hole and in fact, whenever you need it. I reckon the 175 on the slightly lighter Victory would be ideal. In america, they do the 4.2l 200 yammy. Wonder why not here?
Good luck with your choice.

Tickleish
06-08-2012, 01:23 PM
Yeah I'm with Smithy, if you run out of power with a direct injected 2 stroke than its going to be a little worse with the 4 stroke.

Fuel consumption will be about the same as you get now with your DI 2 stroke.

Maybe there is another option - light weigth 200 hp.

Chimo
06-08-2012, 01:55 PM
Hi Brendon

Why not drop a 200HP Etec on it if you need a bit more power and want to keep it light? If you were Jabba you would just go a 250 Etec and be done with it as he has the 5.9 m hull anyhoo.

Cheers
Chimo

blue_rogue
06-08-2012, 02:11 PM
Hi Tenzing,

I have a 2005 Victory, and recently repowered it from a 175 Evinrude DI, to a Honda 225. Going from 2/stroke to 4/stroke was the best move I ever did, along with buying a Honda. The motor weighs in at 272kg, just over the 265kg recommended. (Insurance company cleared the motor weight, so no problems there). I was always going Honda, after knowing Spaniard King for so many years, and knowing what the Honda 200 did too Heath's Cruise Craft 6m Explorer (Bush'n'Beach author).

I can't tell you what the extra horse power does for the hull. Its launches out of the water, and will float along WOT at 90+kph. My fuel economy has increase significantly, probably 35-40% less fuel. I cruise across the bay at 4000 rev using 0.5L/km, and is similar offshore. Did 170km on yesterday, from Manly out through SPB and up to Deep Tempest and back using a total 88L of fuel. Thats what having a big motor does when its not working too hard.

Now - Downside. The main issue from me was the weight of the motor when you are in rough weather. She was a bit bum heavy going into the chop as I was travelling to slow to plane. But after researching solutions, then adding Lenco trim tabs it was all fixed. Was fishing yesterday, and bashed all the way home from Tempest to the bar in a sou-wester. I dropped the tabs, lowered the bow and added bum lift and the V of the boat did all the work. (First trip offshore with the tabs, and it has made such a great difference. Would recommend them to all Victory owners).

My 2c worth is go the bigger motor, as the extra horse power will improve the performance and improve fuel economy. You have solid tabs, so weight will not be an issue.

Cheers,
Dom

tenzing
06-08-2012, 02:16 PM
Thanks for all the replies guys.

I have trolled thru outboard specs for ages looking for best power to weight and still keeping under 260kg. Its a tough one.
I notice the current one gets 175 hp at 5500 revs and its never really got there
Squeezed 5400 rpm out of her on the glass on sat pm ( how good was it)
Chimo, I have decided to give the whole 2 stroke ( etec or not ) a miss.
From memory the 200 suzi was too heavy, and its the weight that kills the equation.
I like the yammy features , but might have to go lighter.
If I recall the suzi may be a tad over 175 hp???
Again , going uphill is the ONLY time I ever feel a bit short. Hole shot and acceleration have been fine. I would keep what was there if it didnt smell and make a lot of (not totally unpleasant when cruising) noise.
Cheers
Brendan