PDA

View Full Version : Maiden Voyage - Complete Fizzer!

Splash
05-08-2012, 06:46 PM
I took my Polycraft 4.1m out for the very first time today - yellow waters kakadu national park.

Huge disappointment with the brand new 2012 yami 60hp motor!

It started first up, and about 2 mins into the journey - stop.>:(

I tried and tried again, checked for fuel and waited 30 mins a few times before starting again to ensue flooding did not occur.

We had to row back around 1km back to ramp and then go home.

We try again to start it and nothing.

Yes, the battery is fully charged and yes i have clean fuel.

I lift the cowling and observe around 1.5cm of oil in the fuel filter.

I did not hear or observe any overheating alarm.

Why is there so little oil inside this filter??? :'(

The motor may now be cooked already and now I have to justify to Yamaha why I should have it fixed at no charge to myself.

If this motor is cooked and they won't replace it, I am giving this game up completely, selling everything and never to return to boating/fishing!

Thanks for listening to my vent..........

Splash

rooboy98
05-08-2012, 06:59 PM
Splash, after all the planning and questions that went into this boat purchase I cannot believe that.

Oil in the fuel filter? I hope Yamaha get it sorted asap for ya.

Cheers,
Roo.

Chas & Clarry
05-08-2012, 07:19 PM
Mate that is a clearly not how you wanted today to go. What a shocker after all the work you've put in. I really hope it is not a major issue and that yammy comes through for you.

Tim

Mrs Ronnie H
05-08-2012, 07:24 PM
Hi
Sorry to hear and hope you get all things sorted with the motor.

Nothing worse in planning a trip only to have some mishap spoil the whole day. Know this only too well but persevere and i am sure things will get sorted and you will appreciate that day out even more when it eventuates.
Ronnie

Splash
05-08-2012, 07:27 PM
re: filter - what ever filter it is - the level is very low.

This filter is inside the cowling.

Splash

Justin Rossiter
05-08-2012, 07:38 PM
Rotten luck Splash

On my maiden voyage I had to be towed home due to outboard trouble, it's not much fun !!

Justin

Spaniard_King
05-08-2012, 07:44 PM
Splash the only visable filter under the cowling is the fuel strainer now this may never e completely full of fuel, it can function perfectly with some air . Did you pump up the fuel system with the primer bulb.
Did you check the safety lanyard was in place corectly
Did the engine turn over at all?
Can you check the oil level in the engine.
Did the selling dealer explain the alarm system to you when you took ownership of the boat/

besides any of this Yamaha will sort it out for you. To be honest most faults like these are generally the dealers failure to fitup and predeliver the engine as per the manufacturers requirements.

Axl
05-08-2012, 07:45 PM
I took my Polycraft 4.1m out for the very first time today - yellow waters kakadu national park.

Huge disappointment with the brand new 2012 yami 60hp motor!

It started first up, and about 2 mins into the journey - stop.>:(

I tried and tried again, checked for fuel and waited 30 mins a few times before starting again to ensue flooding did not occur.

We had to row back around 1km back to ramp and then go home.

We try again to start it and nothing.

Yes, the battery is fully charged and yes i have clean fuel.

I lift the cowling and observe around 1.5cm of oil in the fuel filter.

I did not hear or observe any overheating alarm.

Why is there so little oil inside this filter??? :'(

The motor may now be cooked already and now I have to justify to Yamaha why I should have it fixed at no charge to myself.

If this motor is cooked and they won't replace it, I am giving this game up completely, selling everything and never to return to boating/fishing!

Thanks for listening to my vent..........

Splash

Unfortunate to here this on your maiden run after the waiting and preperation I have read about in your previous posts.

However it sounds like you are a bit confused I dont know much about 4 strokes as I have always owned 2 bangers but one thing I do know is there should'nt be any oil in a fuel filter:-?.

Get it back to the dealer and wait and see what the mechanics have to say before you right it off, hopefully you will find all is ok;).

Splash
05-08-2012, 07:56 PM
thanks SK.

Yes, I pumped the fuel system with the primer bulb, but not 100% confident this was performing as it should over repeated attempts (i.e. getting hard).

For the very first time today, the bulb was hard, and the motor started straight away.

Everything turned to crap after that.

The motor ran for about 2 minutes and that was it. The rest of the voyage the motor tried hard to start, but gave up basically.

I do not know how to check the oil on this engine.

The lanyard was placed correctly as far as I know - is there any way of improperly connecting it (besides ON/OFF)?

The dealer sort of explained the alarm system but really did rush it IMO.

I presumed they tested the boat as part of their pre-delivery, but when I checked the external water/fuel separator, it was clean and had zero fuel in it - so I am pretty jacked off that (a) they either ran the motor without the fuel/water separator or did not run the motor at all......??

I made sure this water/fuel separator was full of fuel before I ventured out today....

Splash

PS - It seems that issues on maiden voyages with new outboards appear are not isolated.....

Axl - Yes I am confused a little - I think SK correctly identified that this item is the fuel strainer...

Spaniard_King
05-08-2012, 08:02 PM
Splash.

Get the dealer to run over the itmes that you need to be doing. ie check the oil, flushing etc

IMO you ha ve a fuel blockage. New boats sometimes have foreign obstacles in them an they get stuck in the fuel lines causing the symptoms you have expressed here.

Very hard to damage a modern 4 stroke

Splash
05-08-2012, 08:09 PM
thanks SK.

Where could this fuel blockage be?

And, shoudl the fuel tank have the vent screw released or tightened?

Also, what would cause my CTECK MS 7000 12V trickle charger to be very hot when charging this boat battery?

Splash

Chas & Clarry
05-08-2012, 08:16 PM
Splash, definitely vent screw released. It is isn't the fuel flow can be compromised

Tim

Spaniard_King
05-08-2012, 08:18 PM
Splash if you have the under floor fuel tank it has a ven t hose fitted to the front of the tank and it usually vents out the back of the boat on a poly

Splash
05-08-2012, 08:23 PM
portable 22L tanks only...

splash

WalrusLike
05-08-2012, 08:24 PM
Um, I am not an expert.... But I think you must have the vent open so that as fuel leaves the tank air can fill the void.

If its closed then I would expect the motor to run for a short while then die....

Maybe that's the problem?

My first trip didn't happen because my 'in driveway muffs on test' of the motor couldn't start it.... The dealer gave me a second hand boat with a flat battery. Just enough grunt in it to sound like it was ok but not enough to fire up the Yammie.

Good luck with yours..... All will be well soon.

[edit: Oops... Too slow]

Splash
05-08-2012, 08:28 PM
"If its closed then I would expect the motor to run for a short while then die...."

this is what was happening, and eventually stopped running altogether.

Back home now, we have the vent open and still no run (with leg in large coolbox of water).

i just cannot get the primer bulb to go hard anymore (no pun intended), and I do not know why.:'(

i am also concerned that my CTECK MS 7000 12V trickle charger is very hot when charging this boat battery. Is it normal for this to be hot?

SPlash

Chas & Clarry
05-08-2012, 08:40 PM
If the bulb isn't getting hard check that the fuel hoses are properly clicked on.
Hold primer bulb so the end that is closest to the fuel tank is lower than the end that is closest to the motor when you prime it.

Splash
05-08-2012, 08:45 PM
thanks CHas.

Sometimes, I do not hear any clicking.

I have the portable fuel tank, which then feeds fuel into my external water/fuel separator, which then feeds fuel into the bottom of the bulb. The top of the bulb then feeds into the motor.

ANything here to be sorted?

SPlash

ozynorts
05-08-2012, 08:46 PM
Are the connections on the hose all tight and properly seated? Is there a pin hole in the fuel line? I have had both of these issues in the past and the result is the same as you are stating.

White Pointer
05-08-2012, 08:47 PM
G'day,

It is not unusual for dealers to do the PD in a test tank and then just bolt it up. A boat and engine have to be water tested together in the deep blue to make sure it really works and that the engine is mounted in the right holes and propped right.

Don't sign the check until you know the boat and motor have had a water test.

Regards,

White Pointer

propdinger
05-08-2012, 08:50 PM
Water/fuel separater can make it hard to pump fuel line does on mine. Also yes the charger will get hot as you have used the battery a lot trying to start the motor.

Edit:also all our new motors the dealers have used there own tote tanks to run the motors

Splash
05-08-2012, 08:51 PM
how do i know the connections on the hose are all tight and properly seated?

how do i know if the boat and motor have really been water tested in the ocean?

why/how does the charger get hot after heavy use of the battery?

when they said they water tested the motor (in ocean), they stated they used their own tote tank.

SPlash

deckie
05-08-2012, 08:55 PM
Shame to hear. It'll sort itself out you wait and see.
You absolutely sure it wasnt weed clogging up the prop or somehow intake ?

Was up there earlier this week and did the dawn tour for the 3rd time..unbelievable amount of floating weed..that introduced stuff sal sal thingy you know the stuff. The tour guide had to reverse the prop every minute or so just to clear it and he was driving up the guts.

Squidlet
05-08-2012, 08:56 PM
In and out ya pockets,to a tea you payed the money.....they want ya out tha gate!! Unfortunate turn of events bud,hope they help ya out!
Cheers Chris.

ozynorts
05-08-2012, 08:57 PM
Try turning the hose at a connection. ie where it attaches to the separator. Does the hose turn or is it tight? Most connections have a lip and if the connector is not in the correct position it can be loose and not seated properly.

Splash
05-08-2012, 08:57 PM
yes, there was weed, and did get caught up at the start.

Splash

dan sheard
05-08-2012, 08:59 PM
Slash,
Dont get to down mate,
I just went threw the same thing with my poly. Had a 50HP E.TEC fitted and put it in the water for a test run and the bloody thing would not even get on the plane, So I rang them whilst I was on the water to see if they had any ideas. Back on the trailer and back to the dealer. Turns out the one boat they don't test has a problem (Unlike You, Lucky I was close to home).
Turns out one of the young fellas there fitted it and didnt adjust the throttle cable correctly. When I turned up there were mechanics coming from everywhere to fix the problem. All good now going like a train. I wonder how many boats get tested after repowering/ect.
Chin up mate thing should be all cool in the end, (These polys are good hey)
Cheers Dan,

Splash
05-08-2012, 09:00 PM
I cannot turn the hose at the connection where it attaches to the separator. It is screwed pretty darn tight.

Splash

Splash
05-08-2012, 09:01 PM
Thanks Dan SHeard.

Amazing to hear you had similar experience. Did they tell you they had water tested (in the ocean) as well? Obvioiously thid did not happen in your case. Pretty damn shocking if you ask me...:o

I guess it is a trip to the dealer shortly....

SPlash

ozynorts
05-08-2012, 09:04 PM
Good move to go to the dealer. Hope it all works out and you get out on the water soon.

Splash
05-08-2012, 09:08 PM
what impact would weed have on all of this??

SPlash

WalrusLike
05-08-2012, 09:23 PM
If it was just the vent being closed (was it? ) then at home in the tank with it open all should be well. Any time I forgot to open the vent in the old days it would be a instant fix once I woke up to my mistake.

Again, I am not an expert... But I wonder if the initial prob was a closed vent starving the motor and then a secondary problem arose. I don't know what that could be, but I do know that my Yammie manual says that running out of fuel can cause problems with the motor.

johncar
05-08-2012, 09:30 PM
what impact would weed have on all of this??

SPlash
If enough weed has got in and blocked your water intake there may be a sensor to srtop the engine from running and over heating. That is possibly more of a long shot.
Seeing it ran OK for a couple of minutes my guess would be some rubbish in the fuel system has caused a blockage. Happened to me with a new boat a few years back, just had to replace the filter and all was good. Your problem will be most likely something simple and you should be OK. Boating is great but yes it has it's glitches at times and there is a bit to learn.
Had one myself today, was thinking about going fishing but found that I had accidentally left my batteries powered on from last trip about four weeks and the radio left on as well drained the batteries dead flat. It was one of those days where I had to pack everything up quick in the morning and get to work and overlooked it. Every other time I check them ten times, now I might need new batteries, not happy.. two 100AH AGM's many $$. I am hoping they are OK and will charge up.

Blusta
05-08-2012, 09:31 PM
I think i am correct in saying Yamaha pump fuel lines run in only one direction. In other words you can have them reversed and the engine gets no fuel. No go. Happened to my mate with his 25 two stroke.

xbreama
05-08-2012, 09:40 PM
Undo the hose clamp off the fuel line connection to the motor, pull the fuel line off put it into a container and give the primer a few pumps to see if u get fuel flow to the motor.
If nothing then a blockage from there back. If fuel coming out check the lines and strainers of filter on the engine or take it back to the dealer.

Splash
05-08-2012, 10:26 PM
OK - the wife and I played some more in this mire...

We disconnected the fuel line one connection at a time from motor down. Results:

No fuel being feed to/from the water/fuel separator.

We tried just pumping fuel with the bulb directly from the tank to see if fuel comes out - nope.

We tried different male connectors from fuel tank and different fuel tanks - nope.

All fuel lines and connection bones dry.

The only thing left is the bulb and lines to change out. These were supposed to be new, but to me they look cheap and nasty and the line appears small diameter.

All this means to me is that the dealer did not water test this boat properly with the existing fuel system, and used their own damn fuel system if they did at all). :-((

(water/fuel separator was dry as a bone and no trace of fuel when acquired from dealer..)

No fuel comes out of of this water separator even when the threaded inserts are removed from the top....Is this normal?

I am thinking this motor only ran with what fuel was left in the motor itself (and not from any new fuel from tank, etc..)

What internal diameter should this fuel line be for this model?

SPlash

Jarrah Jack
05-08-2012, 10:44 PM
I thought you were joking when I saw the title Splash. Glad to see its only a fuel problem and the dealer needs a kick up the butt for wrecking your holiday. Doubt it will be the diameter of the line and more like a blockage somewhere. Good luck with it.

EdBerg
05-08-2012, 11:14 PM
Just a quick question, it may be obvious or not, but was the fuel line valve open? most motors should have a valve that stops the fuel from flowing to the motor somewhere in the fuel line under the engine cover. Just a thought!

choppa
05-08-2012, 11:32 PM
as a late comer here,,,, if you are pumping the "bulb" and it's not getting hard,,,, and if i read your last report right,,, you then tried it unhooked from the motor/filter without any flow,,,, is the bulb in the correct direction,,,, meaning,,, there should be an arrow impregnated on the bulb,,,, this shows the flow of fuel and should point towards your engine,,,

hopefully this "may" be your problem,,,, as it sounds as if the motor started,,, ran with fuel in the carby bowl,,, then died,,, (the bulb would/should have been hard at this point as you stated by expansion in the tank/fuel line)

have a look in the morning,,,, and as a last bit of advise,,, don't over tension your clamps on your fuel line when putting it all back together,,,, have them just tight enough to stop twisting

choppa

Splash
05-08-2012, 11:37 PM
how do i check if the fuel line valve is open? Any pics of this valve?

Yes, the arrow on the bulb is always pointing towards the motor when connected...

splash

deckie
05-08-2012, 11:48 PM
Good news is he's narrowed it down to the easy and cheap end. Surely it cant be anything major now. Process of elimination is going well.
Sounds like a perfect day in a beautiful spot with a brand new rig was ruined....reminds me of a day when i was lucky i didint have a sledgy in the boot when i couldnt start an old chrysler...only to find out later at home i had the tote tank bleeder screw shut down tight and no fuel could get thru... ya derrrr :hammer:

I feel your pain. All the best.

choppa
05-08-2012, 11:53 PM
OK - the wife and I played some more in this mire...

We disconnected the fuel line one connection at a time from motor down. Results:

No fuel being feed to/from the water/fuel separator. This is part of the problem

We tried just pumping fuel with the bulb directly from the tank to see if fuel comes out - nope. This is part of the problem

We tried different male connectors from fuel tank and different fuel tanks - nope.

All fuel lines and connection bones dry.This means no fuel is getting from the tank to the motor

The only thing left is the bulb and lines to change out. These were supposed to be new, but to me they look cheap and nasty and the line appears small diameter.For what its worth, what size fuel line is it?, (should be marked on the hose)

All this means to me is that the dealer did not water test this boat properly with the existing fuel system, and used their own damn fuel system if they did at all). :-((

(water/fuel separator was dry as a bone and no trace of fuel when acquired from dealer..) Yes, most testing is done with their own hoses, your buying yours new

No fuel comes out of of this water separator even when the threaded inserts are removed from the top....Is this normal?

I am thinking this motor only ran with what fuel was left in the motor itself (and not from any new fuel from tank, etc..)

What internal diameter should this fuel line be for this model? All/Most are in the range of 8-10mm ID,,, you will notice that your Primer Bulb is smaller,, thats common

SPlash

your problem to me matey is definitely fuel,,, not motor,,, and you have run the majority of tests to determine why,,,, just a case now of finer detail,,,, where are you located,,,,

Splash
06-08-2012, 12:25 AM
I am located in Jabiru NT.

So, what degree of confidence should the paying customer expect from a dealer (in their assurance that everything has been tested and ready to go) if they elect to test a customer's motor with a completely different fuel system?

FYI - the fuel line has 6mm internal diameter without any OEM markings. As I mentioned before - cheap and nasty shit.

Splash

choppa
06-08-2012, 12:42 AM
your just a tad far away for a quick visit mate,,,, most dealers have tote tanks already established to rest run motors,,, this saves time for them if the motor they run has issues with faulty tank/hose/filters etc etc,,, and then of course allows them to upsell new stuff

my concern for you is that you have disconnected the fuel line hose from motor/filter,,, and yet cannot get the bulb to pump fuel from the tank through an open hose,,,, to give you an idea,,,, any "old" fuel in my tanks,,, i simply sit the tank on the boot of the wifes car (after disconnecting water filter),,, squeeze the bulb once and it drains into her tank,,,, yours should be no different

but it is,,,,, so the pick up in the tank could be the culprit,,,, you stated that you have changed the male fittings,,, have you tried the other tank??

Splash
06-08-2012, 12:45 AM
hi choppa.

yes, different tanks have also been used (with different pickups).

Is 6mm internal diameter too small for fuel lines?

One has to ask whether any testing was done at all...They cannot prove it either.

I have also just tested the fuel primer bulb (by placing the suction end into a small can of petrol, and squeeze) and it works.

So, this just leaves the male connectors - which are supposed to be brand new as well...

Splash

timddo
06-08-2012, 02:25 AM
Umm have you Checked that the primer bulb is in the right direction. Your water fuel separator has arrows too.

purnong
06-08-2012, 07:09 AM
I had a hell of a time trying to prime my fuel/water separator when I first used it, Ended up I had to undo the bowl a crack to let some air in then it worked fine
For some reason there seemed to be an air lock and it just would not prime

WalrusLike
06-08-2012, 07:10 AM
Just in case... And you've probably already looked.... But is there any packaging seal on the filter that needs removing?

Have you unscrewed it and had a look at the actual filter component?

If two tote tanks give same problem it is most likely the filter assembly. They disassemble. Perhaps do that? Good luck... I hope it fixes soon for you.

ShaneC
06-08-2012, 07:57 AM
I agree with purnong. But instead of cracking your inline seperator crack the fuel filter in the motor. Then pump fuel to that point with the primer bulb, so you know the system has fuel right through it. Then give it a go. I need to sometimes do this to my yammies when I change my inline seperators as the fuel runs backwards from the seperators when you pull them which in exactly the symptoms you describe.... Good luck.

gazza2006au
06-08-2012, 08:21 AM
remove the fuel hose connector that connects your fuel hose to the engine leave the other end connected to your fuel tank unscrew the breather screw this should be unscrewed anti clockwise hold your thumb over the end of the hose where u removed the fitting and squeeze the primer bulb keep on squeezing untill fuel flows out of the hose hold it vertically and reconnect the fitting and connect the hose to your engine this primes the primer bulb some will suck air in both directions unless the air is bleed form the hose once the fuel touches the internals of the primer it softens the plastic and will seal correctly

your problem is all down to u leaving the breather screw done up tight had u read the outboard owners manual u wouldnt be having this problem as the left over fuel in your fuel separator would ran your engine and siphoned fuel from your tank and would have filled the system with fuel

EdBerg
06-08-2012, 08:39 AM
Hi, Can't work out if you have sorted out your problem or not but if not, I don't have a pic of the fuel valve but if you take the engine cover off and follow the fuel line from where it plugs into the motor on the outside you may find it, it should have a small lever on it, secondly, if it is a new tank and line and you can't get the bulb hard, get a small bit of plastic (pen?) and push the small ball in to open it, it is inside the valve on the end hose fitting, (the one that connects to the motor,) that will open that valve and then try to prime it, if you see fuel coming out of the line then connect to the motor and prime the bulb again, it should work then. Apart from that I would take it to any dealer for a quick look, it does sound like it is something simple. Lastly 6mm ID hose is ample for a motor that size.

Splash
06-08-2012, 09:41 AM
thanks for all of your valued input fellas - really appreciated...

Yes, I should have read the manual, but all of this would not be happening if the dealer had water tested this motor with the same fuel system, before I collected.

All, should I place the bulb from the tank to the water separator?

Splash

choppa
06-08-2012, 09:49 AM
so is it fixed????,,,,,,, and if so when are we going fishing?

Splash
06-08-2012, 09:50 AM
not fixed - I just woke up sorry.

I am 3 hours to the closest dealer - want to buy all new fuel system.

Splash

Noelm
06-08-2012, 10:10 AM
OK, people keep saying "is the tank vent open? the answer is YES, then they ask "is the arrow on the primer bulb going the right way" again YES, please read the thread and give alternative advice, do not keep asking/telling the same thing! now here is a simple (but hard to explain) thing to try, as per Gazza from above post. from reading end to end, it seems you have a new tank, new filter assy and a new motor! so, from that we can assume the filter has never been used, and as such is "dry" a new filter takes a lot of fuel to fill it up, so, now this is hard to explain in words, undo the fuel line where it enters the motor, or at the motor side of the bulb, do NOT have a clip on fuel fitting on hose, it must be a bare hose end. Hold the primer vertical, Prime the bulb and hold it flat, put your finger over the hose end to seal it off, release the primer bulb, take finger off hose end and prime again, hold and place finger over hole again, get the idea? you are infact, using your finger as a one way valve, you will need to repeat this quite a few times before you get fuel out of the end of the hose, when you do, connect it all back up and it will be OK (we hope)

Fed
06-08-2012, 10:15 AM
Call a cab and get the driver to fix it for you.

Squidlet
06-08-2012, 10:27 AM
not fixed - I just woke up sorry.

I am 3 hours to the closest dealer - want to buy all new fuel system.

Splash

Public Holiday today bud,maybe 2morrow! Make sure they bloody well fix it!
Cheers Chris.

purnong
06-08-2012, 12:28 PM
want to buy all new fuel system.

Splash

Why? Just get what you have working and all will be sweet
Not worth driving a six hour round trip to fix a 20 minute problem, Unless we are all missing something

gazza2006au
06-08-2012, 12:46 PM
OK, people keep saying "is the tank vent open? the answer is YES, then they ask "is the arrow on the primer bulb going the right way" again YES, please read the thread and give alternative advice, do not keep asking/telling the same thing! now here is a simple (but hard to explain) thing to try, as per Gazza from above post. from reading end to end, it seems you have a new tank, new filter assy and a new motor! so, from that we can assume the filter has never been used, and as such is "dry" a new filter takes a lot of fuel to fill it up, so, now this is hard to explain in words, undo the fuel line where it enters the motor, or at the motor side of the bulb, do NOT have a clip on fuel fitting on hose, it must be a bare hose end. Hold the primer vertical, Prime the bulb and hold it flat, put your finger over the hose end to seal it off, release the primer bulb, take finger off hose end and prime again, hold and place finger over hole again, get the idea? you are infact, using your finger as a one way valve, you will need to repeat this quite a few times before you get fuel out of the end of the hose, when you do, connect it all back up and it will be OK (we hope)

noel the answer for the vent screw was no as he didnt know weather it should be open or closed but its now open and i already said what u said a few post before u if u read the thread :P

Noelm
06-08-2012, 01:13 PM
noel the answer for the vent screw was no as he didnt know weather it should be open or closed but its now open and i already said what u said a few post before u if u read the thread :P
Yep, and "IF" you read my post, it will make reference to yours, I am not trying to stir sh!t here, but the vent is mentioned several times, (on the first page, post 11) any info is good, even if it is repeated.

Splash
06-08-2012, 01:22 PM
Update -

I followed this procedure - "undo the fuel line where it enters the motor, or at the motor side of the bulb, do NOT have a clip on fuel fitting on hose, it must be a bare hose end. Hold the primer vertical, Prime the bulb and hold it flat, put your finger over the hose end to seal it off, release the primer bulb, take finger off hose end and prime again, hold and place finger over hole again.."

Still no luck (this was done without any water separator linked in).

Separator was bone dry and brand new upon collection from dealer (over 1 month ago) - proving that the dealer did not test this motor with the separator installed. I removed the element 1 month ago and filled with fuel as per OEM guidelines. I can confirm that this separator has a full element of fuel inside.

So, basically - I have tried most things now and still cannot get this primer bulb to harden up................

SPlash

Noelm
06-08-2012, 01:39 PM
have you ever had fuel come out the hose end priming this way??? if not, the motor is never going to run. It does take quite a bit of priming to get a new dry system up and running. the primer bulb will never get hard unless the one way valve is working 100% otherwise you are just priming fuel back and forth along the fuel lines.

EdBerg
06-08-2012, 02:00 PM
It sounds like you may have a dud bulb. The only other thing I can suggest it to blow air through the open end hose back through the bulb and into the tank, if the air goes through it when the bulb is vertical then the valve in the bulb is not working. Also if you drop the hose and lift the tank up higher so that the fuel outlet is at the bottom then petrol should flow out of the hose, make sure that the vent is closed as fuel will go out it as well. The bulbs are supposed to be a one way valve which has a ball bearing at the bottom which seals the tube leading to the tank, thats why you should hold the bulb verticle when priming. If that happens you might be able to do the same again with the hose connected to the motor and it may fill up the fuel water seperator, if it does that, the motor may then start and the fuel pump may suck the rest up from there, and I don't know if it will reliably start the next time. It is a long shot but don't know what else it could be. Hope this helps.

Fed
06-08-2012, 02:06 PM
Just a thought Splash and hopefully someone else can add some info but aren't there a couple of different fuel clip on fittings that will actually clip on but not pass fuel..... like say Yammy Vs OMC?

Perhaps you are using OMC tanks hooking a Yammy fitting to them?

Noelm
06-08-2012, 02:11 PM
that is possible I guess, but you would think that even the most silly dealer would supply the tank and hose that comes with the motor, wouldn't you??? well. . . . maybe not.

choppa
06-08-2012, 02:19 PM
with reference,,,, if there is no fuel coming from the fuel tank to an open ended hose,,,, with no fittings,,, what does the actual fitting have to do with this,,,, SPlash stated in his post #36 (i think) that he had disconnected everything,,, tried to prime the bulb and nothing,,, fuel lines are dry???

this is plainly a drama between the tank and motor,,, and I'm leaning towards EdBerg's post #63,,,,, dud bulb,,,

try what he has posted matey,,, if air can be passed through,, from motor end of the hose to tank,,, your bulb is stuffed,,,

Fed
06-08-2012, 02:20 PM
Or it may be that they clip on but suck a heap of air.

Couldn't the cab driver fix it Splash?

Fed
06-08-2012, 02:22 PM
Quick connect fitting on the tank choppa.

Noelm
06-08-2012, 02:25 PM
BUT. . . . I "THINK" he has tried another tank and hose?? no, yes??? but then it has got a tad confusing after pages and pages, i have seen an instance where the fuel tank did not have the filter and hose bit that goes to the bottom of the tank (so it picks up from the bottom) but if he has tried another tank, then that leaves that out.

Fed
06-08-2012, 02:34 PM
I think he has two tanks that are the same Noel.

Noelm
06-08-2012, 02:40 PM
OH, I might read it in detail again right from the start and see what I can work out then, be intersting to see if he has two hoses also.

Fed
06-08-2012, 02:48 PM
I think most people running portable tanks use one hose & if your quick you can hot swap it at the tank from the 1st cough without running out of fuel.

choppa
06-08-2012, 02:49 PM
me thinks,,,, you two are "thinking" too much,,,,,lol

Splash
06-08-2012, 02:57 PM
thanks again guys.

New update...

I decided to try something different and simply stick the end of the bare hose inside the fuel tank and suck it up through the bulb.

The orgasmic flow out the other end of the bulb was a sight to remember (with a bit of dejavu from last night...... :-)..

Anyway...after proving that the bulb does work, I then primed the system into the motor with the suction hose still inside the fuel tank.

I did the same to ensure fuel was primed through the separator - confirmed OK.

The bulb got nice and hard within a few squeezes, and decided to turn over the engine. It worked.

Then, I soaked the female connector in fuel for a few minutes, making sure I depressed the ball bearing so that the internals could feel the fuel inside...

I then reconnected this female connector back onto the hose and placed it over the brass male connector fitted onto the fuel tank.

I then squeezed the bulb, but still no hardness.

I repeated this with a another similar brass make connector and same result.

So, I have proven that most things work, except when I connect to the make brass connectors...

thoughts?

SPlash

Noelm
06-08-2012, 02:58 PM
OK, one small thing that has been mentioned but not verified, the filter has inlet and outlet sides (with arrows) make sure the inlet has the in arrow, and the outlet has the out arrow (of course) 6mm ID hose will be OK (just) for up to 60HP, make sure there is no kinks in the fuel hose anywhere! a new primer is cheap, and should be available from almost any boat type of store (and even some tackle shops), I reckon the best way to trouble shoot is borrow a complete tank and hose from a mate and give that a whirl, seeing as you are hours away from the dealer, you will want to try your best to fix it, the trouble will be minor, but as usual, we are all just working from a keyboard, and not in front of the boat, so bare with us at times.

choppa
06-08-2012, 03:00 PM
wrong connectors,,,, refer post #64,,,, ;)

gazza2006au
06-08-2012, 03:05 PM
Yep, and "IF" you read my post, it will make reference to yours, I am not trying to stir sh!t here, but the vent is mentioned several times, (on the first page, post 11) any info is good, even if it is repeated.yeah mate all good 8-)

Fed
06-08-2012, 03:07 PM
Don't you just hate it when someone posts while you're typing....

gazza2006au
06-08-2012, 03:19 PM
as another member already said in this thread (i cant remember when it was said but remember it being said) pull the bowl off your fuel separator fill the bowl with fuel screw it back on and crank your engine over the engine will start if u havent done any damage than u can rule out any major damage

also when shops sell a engine they cant water test the engines imagine the time they would be putting into each sale? when i bought my new tohatsu they put the engine on a stand hooked up muffs hooked up there tank that is already pre mixed and ran the engine this is what the shop would have done to your engine theres no need to put a brand spanker in a test tank or on a boat and dip it just to run the engine when its brand new as they know its going to run

Splash
06-08-2012, 03:24 PM
Thanks.

Gazza - The dealer had stated in writing and repeated quite a few time that this boat would be water tested as part of their standard PD of all motors/boats they sell. They do this to ensure everything is in good working order and that the propeller selection and mounting height on transom is correct. It would also make sense to ensure the fuel system is working correctly so that their customers do not have to toil in pain like I am right now...or even worse stranded out to sea or left stranded in croc infested waters overnight.....

Why was the water separator dry as a bone and no trace of fuel inside when I collected the boat?

The water separator has been removed and filled with fuel.

Noelm - I have confirmed that all arrows on water separator on align with feed in/out of fuel flow.

How do i know if I have the wrong connectors?

SPlash

astro66
06-08-2012, 03:27 PM
this thread hurts my brain....recap...fittings to the tank are dodgy?take off both fittings...clip together and blow through to see if its clear.... or maybe a blockage to the pickup filter in the tank...blow back through the fuel hose into the tank ...is it blocked there...

ozynorts
06-08-2012, 03:27 PM
i have seen an instance where the fuel tank did not have the filter and hose bit that goes to the bottom of the tank (so it picks up from the bottom) but if he has tried another tank, then that leaves that out.
I Think that Noelm might be onto something with this one after reading Splash's latest post.

Splash
06-08-2012, 03:34 PM
two different tanks with functional pickups have been tried as mentioned previously.

splash

Fed
06-08-2012, 03:37 PM
Splash it was already mentioned that the dealer probably used his own portable tank clipped straight to the motor.

Did the dealer supply & fit your tanks, fuel hose & water separator?
I'm betting no is the answer.

Fed
06-08-2012, 03:40 PM
two different tanks with functional pickups have been tried as mentioned previously.
But are the quick connect fittings functional remembering that everything worked when you bypassed them.

ozynorts
06-08-2012, 03:42 PM
thanks again guys.

New update...

I decided to try something different and simply stick the end of the bare hose inside the fuel tank and suck it up through the bulb.

The orgasmic flow out the other end of the bulb was a sight to remember (with a bit of dejavu from last night...... :-)..

Anyway...after proving that the bulb does work, I then primed the system into the motor with the suction hose still inside the fuel tank.

The bulb got nice and hard within a few squeezes, and decided to turn over the engine. It worked.

Then, I soaked the female connector in fuel for a few minutes, making sure I depressed the ball bearing so that the internals could feel the fuel inside...

I then reconnected this female connector back onto the hose and placed it over the brass male connector fitted onto the fuel tank.

I then squeezed the bulb, but still no hardness.

I repeated this with a another similar brass make connector and same result.

So, I have proven that most things work, except when I connect to the make brass connectors...

thoughts?

SPlash
The connector that you took off the hose has an arrow on it . Does the arrow point the same way as the fuel should be flowing?

Goodoo haven
06-08-2012, 03:44 PM
The connector that you took off the hose has an arrow on it . Does the arrow point the same way as the fuel should be flowing?

I am sure he has already stated that it is going in the flow towards the motor.

choppa
06-08-2012, 03:45 PM
okay,,, a quick query also,,,,

can you "unscrew" the OEM fitting from the fuel tank,,,,,, what i mean,,, most/some portable tanks have a brass elbow coming out of the tank

this allows any style OEM fitting to be screwed into it,,,, and then allows the quick connector on the hose to attach to it

if you can do this,,,, pop down to your hardware,,,, and purchase a male threaded 6mm hosetail fitting,,,, ($5),,,,, attach this to the tank,,,, and fix the fueline directly to it

this will elimanate the "high possibility" of having wrong OEM fittings and get you back on the water,,,, whilst the dealer airbags/couriers the correct ones to you

Tickleish
06-08-2012, 03:45 PM
This might seem a little harsh but after reading a few of your posts my bet it is something simple that you are doing wrong.

Re - read the owners manual and follow it to the letter.

I hope all works out for you.

ozynorts
06-08-2012, 03:49 PM
this thread hurts my brain.......
yep I agree. I am out of silly ideas. Hope you get it sorted.

kind_cir
06-08-2012, 03:53 PM
Don't know if this has been mentioned but...... The primer bulb,.. Is it facing the right way, should be an arrow if memory serves me correctly. Spin it 180' and see if that helps.

Splash
06-08-2012, 03:54 PM
the dealer said they water tested this motor.

They installed the water separator and hoses and couplings. The only item they did not supply was the fuel tank because I told them that I already have 4 and do not need another one..

SPlash

Splash
06-08-2012, 03:56 PM
Don't know if this has been mentioned but...... The primer bulb,.. Is it facing the right way, should be an arrow if memory serves me correctly. Spin it 180' and see if that helps.

Welcome aboard Kind_cir.

Read post #55.

Splash

gazza2006au
06-08-2012, 03:57 PM
the dealer said they water tested this motor.

They installed the water separator and hoses and couplings. The only thin they did not supply was the fuel tank because I told them that I already have 4 and do not need another one..

SPlashsplash..... interesting do u have the right tank connection? u know u need yamaha for yamaha, honda for honda disconnect your hose at the tank remove the connection stick that end of the hose in your tank and prime the bulb

rooboy98
06-08-2012, 04:03 PM
As Gazza states, does the hose connecters on the tank (that you supplied) match the conector on the actual fuel line that the dealer supplied? I actually thought by the process of elimination that we had narrowed it down to the tank connector way back in Post 74!

Cheers,
Roo.

Fed
06-08-2012, 04:06 PM
Are we there yet?

kind_cir
06-08-2012, 04:10 PM
I am a dumbass, but all good mate. Post 55 has explained alot (thanks), unfortunatly this has turned into a novel, and is making my eyes hurt and heart bleed.

I remember the trouble you told early on with not being able to get a hard on... Er in ya primer bulb that is. Maybe there is a fault with the non return valve in the primer bulb or the valve has been put at the wrong end and hence the arrow is then a wrong indicator.

I'll keep racking me brains for ya, for a soloution. Or at least I may be able to come up with some better humor for this thread.

Nathan Tuskes
06-08-2012, 04:17 PM
the power of ausfish at work!! god i hope my boats first day on the water doesn't turn into a ausfish novel..

Fed
06-08-2012, 04:18 PM
This is so good I missed Judge Judy.:D

Splash
06-08-2012, 04:20 PM
Gazza - Did that (post #74).

Rooboy - How can i determine if the male brass tank hose connecters match the female fuel line connectors?

Fed - But, you still watched "Ellen" right?

Kind_cir - Agree, this thread has turned into a novel (almost kindle like)...THe primer bulb has been confirmed to work well (see post #74).

SPlash

Fed
06-08-2012, 04:27 PM
Here's a recap for everyone...

New update...

Splash
06-08-2012, 04:33 PM
Thanks Fed.

So, the next step is to determine how to match male brass tank hose connecters with the female fuel line connectors...

How to do this?

SPLash

Fed
06-08-2012, 04:42 PM
Google of course.

Kero
06-08-2012, 04:43 PM
Can you show us some pics?

choppa
06-08-2012, 04:48 PM
reply #88 no good????

rooboy98
06-08-2012, 04:49 PM
PM sent Splash.

Cheers,
Roo.

Splash
06-08-2012, 05:10 PM
reply #88 no good????

Hi Choppa.

I do not have any male yami OEM fuel fittings - only the female OEM fittings.

I will purchase a male threaded 6mm hosetail fitting and attach to tank and fit the fuel line directly and try that.

All - can anyone advise me on what internal diameter hose I should have for this motor?

Splash

xbreama
06-08-2012, 05:29 PM
Wtf. 8 pages just to work out a fuel system. What's going to happen if u break down 3hr from the ramp with no phone signal or anyone to help. 000 won't help. Call a friend, 50/50 or ask the audience.

Spaniard_King
Splash,

What side of the water seperator is the primer bulb??

To me you have an air leak between the primer and the tank, as the seperator was dry my bet its somewhere around there!

choppa
if that doesn't work,,,, is the boat/motor still up for sale as per your post #1,,,, i can't offer much,,,,

lol,,,, just joking mate,,, 6mm is fine as per previously advised,,,,

i just googled Jabiru,,, nice Golf Club,,, you'll have to arrange a M&G soon

Splash
06-08-2012, 05:41 PM
Wtf. 8 pages just to work out a fuel system. What's going to happen if u break down 3hr from the ramp with no phone signal or anyone to help. 000 won't help. Call a friend, 50/50 or ask the audience.

..train the wife to row longer and harder!

SPlash

cobiaman
06-08-2012, 05:44 PM
..train the wife to row longer and harder!

SPlash

Why do you even need the motor then?

kind_cir
06-08-2012, 05:45 PM
Well if it's pumped primed and hard then the bitch won't work it for you if there aint no spark. Sad fact of life realy, ya need a spark, or a fist full of cash before she blows...err goes.

If the fuel system is all good then i'd turn to the elec side if things,.... What could of been bumped or damaged in transit. Wires to the kill switch, spark plug leads, coil wires ect ect may just be an itermitant problem in the elec system. Sheesh, could even be the wrong gap in the plugs, or something silly the dealer did not check to run on our poor fuel quality here in OZ like the plugs need regapping?

I'm feeling repeated.. Maybe it was back in post 88 or post 69, or this post even... Doing my head in,... Oh and did someone mention this tub is plastic,..surley that can't be true, may be a problem if it is...with all them thermoneculre molicular partical thingies that is.

Splash
06-08-2012, 05:46 PM
Splash,

What side of the water seperator is the primer bulb??

To me you have an air leak between the primer and the tank, as the seperator was dry my bet its somewhere around there!

Hi SK.

The Water separator was brand new and not even used from the dealer when collected over 1 month ago. This is why it was bone dry. (see previous posts) One has to ask if they even water tested the motor as part of the stated PD.......When i got it home (from the dealer and over a month ago), I opened up the Separator and filled with with fuel as per RAYCO's instructions. The Separator has always been full of fuel during my ownership thus far.

The primer bulb sits in between the tank and separator.

Splash

Splash
06-08-2012, 05:49 PM
Why do you even need the motor then?

for justification to have oars when motor does break down again.. :-)

SPlash

Splash
06-08-2012, 05:53 PM
Well if it's pumped primed and hard then the bitch won't work it for you if there aint no spark. Sad fact of life realy, ya need a spark, or a fist full of cash before she blows...err goes.

If the fuel system is all good then i'd turn to the elec side if things,.... What could of been bumped or damaged in transit. Wires to the kill switch, spark plug leads, coil wires ect ect may just be an itermitant problem in the elec system. Sheesh, could even be the wrong gap in the plugs, or something silly the dealer did not check to run on our poor fuel quality here in OZ like the plugs need regapping?

I'm feeling repeated.. Maybe it was back in post 88 or post 69, or this post even... Doing my head in,... Oh and did someone mention this tub is plastic,..surley that can't be true, may be a problem if it is...with all them thermoneculre molicular partical thingies that is.

read post # 74.

Splash

kind_cir
06-08-2012, 06:00 PM
Ok... Just read post 74 as instructed, does it work for you now?

If not, I could read another post and see if that helps get that sucker going.

Or, I could just hide in a corner.... Your choice, how can I help ?

purnong
06-08-2012, 06:05 PM
Don't worry Splash you'll have it all sorted soon, Initial minor nigglies are all part and parcel of a new boat and just think of all the new knowledge you will have gained in sorting it out
Mate this would have to be the most talked about boat on the internet, From initial purchase to maiden voyage :) ;D

Splash
06-08-2012, 06:12 PM
Ok... Just read post 74 as instructed, does it work for you now?

If not, I could read another post and see if that helps get that sucker going.

Or, I could just hide in a corner.... Your choice, how can I help ?

you can confirm if 8mm internal fuel hose is correct for this 60HP motor or 6mm.

Not working as intended. I will buy new fittings and hoses and be done with it!

SPlash

Splash
06-08-2012, 06:13 PM
Don't worry Splash you'll have it all sorted soon, Initial minor nigglies are all part and parcel of a new boat and just think of all the new knowledge you will have gained in sorting it out
Mate this would have to be the most talked about boat on the internet, From initial purchase to maiden voyage :) ;D

Yeah - Perhaps I should setup a blog page for this journey....??

Splash

stevej
06-08-2012, 06:14 PM
if a dealer wont water test a new packagae they aint worth dealing with

any engine can have teething problems, there was a Suzuki 75 and a yamaha 70 hp the other week at the ramp both new boats both would start
was to do with air in the fuel lines and the dealers not showing them how to deal with the situation

Splash
06-08-2012, 06:26 PM
hi steve - welcome aboard..

Did you mean both new boats would not start?

This is a pretty serious situation if you ask me - dealers should be able to prove that they have water tested their boats (and explains to customers how to deal with these situations) before customer signs off!!

SPlash

Boat Hog
06-08-2012, 06:30 PM
This is not going to be helpful (but then so few of my posts actually are ;D);

Who buys a new boat and then doesn't use it for a whole month?

Am I missing something?

Cheers,

For what it's worth ..... I reckon the rod thingy on one of the male fittings isn't long enough to depress the ball bearing in the female fitting thus no fuel flow.

Splash
06-08-2012, 06:36 PM
hi Boat Hog and welcome...

Yeah - it's pretty sad hey...! I should have been out earlier, but I have many things going on in my life and the weekends are the only chance I get to chill out, which are often filled with more work (from my day job), fence building, serious bike riding, family time, tax stuff, sex and sleep.

I don't know what your life is like, but I am really fckn busy, and I need to find a little bit of 'me-time' in between all of this other stuff in my life.

CHeers

SPlash

Boat Hog
06-08-2012, 06:46 PM
Yep splash, I know exactly where you're coming from re busy busy and more busy. Still, it would have paid to run the boat a bit where you could take it straight back to the dealer and say "Oi this isn't working right!! Fix it!".... Hindsight, not very good at times like this!

Best of luck getting it sorted.

Andy H
06-08-2012, 06:49 PM
What an epic thread! Mate I hope it's a cheap and easy fix for you and you have plenty of great times in your boat.

kind_cir
06-08-2012, 06:55 PM
you can confirm if 8mm internal fuel hose is correct for this 60HP motor or 6mm.

Not working as intended. I will buy new fittings and hoses and be done with it!

SPlash

Now when it comes to fuel hose the bigger the better as then you won't have fuel starvation problems. But in your case I don't see this as your problem as it will only affect top end performance, and not cause dramas in the engine not starting of cutting out compleatly at lower revs.

A fuel filter and seperator will cause a restriction / and or a resitance in the fuel system but then again it would only present as a top end problem.

So when and what problems are happening at what rpm ?

Could you just run the motor straight from the tote tank and bypass the filter/seperator all togeather?

Bypass the fittings at the tank ?

Bypass the fittings at the motor and the tank by connecting straight to the engine and into the tank.

Splash
06-08-2012, 06:56 PM
no worries Boat Hog - I agree I shoudl have forced myself to take it our earlier. Not eveyr day we get a chance to buy a brand new donk... :-)

Welcome ANdy H :-) Yes, An EPIC it is. A great piece of ART... :-)

SPlash

Splash
06-08-2012, 06:59 PM
Now when it comes to fuel hose the bigger the better as then you won't have fuel starvation problems. But in your case I don't see this as your problem as it will only affect top end performance, and not cause dramas in the engine not starting of cutting out compleatly at lower revs.

A fuel filter and seperator will cause a restriction / and or a resitance in the fuel system but then again it would only present as a top end problem.

So when and what problems are happening at what rpm ?

Could you just run the motor straight from the tote tank and bypass the filter/seperator all togeather?

Bypass the fittings at the motor and the tank by connecting straight to the engine and into the tank.

Yes, I could bypass everything, but then I won't have clean fuel. Not good - especially when I only have one once choice of fuel where I live...

SPlash

cobiaman
06-08-2012, 07:04 PM

Didnt that fix the problem earlier?

choppa
06-08-2012, 07:11 PM
is this polycraft on a "trailer"???

stevej
06-08-2012, 07:13 PM
after speaking to them and offering them my battery to test etc it turned out both guys had run them dry on the last trip out, filled them up and then gone to go out again and they wouldnt start

easy to do on a new boat when you dont know the fuel range and are new to boating

hi steve - welcome aboard..

Did you mean both new boats would not start?

This is a pretty serious situation if you ask me - dealers should be able to prove that they have water tested their boats (and explains to customers how to deal with these situations) before customer signs off!!

SPlash

bigjimg
06-08-2012, 07:26 PM
Splash,bad luck mate,for me this is what I would do.Check the bulb that it is the right way round,the arrow points in the direction of fuel flow to engine.Very important that one.You should be able to disconnect the hose from the engine via the uni-clamp and prime fuel through the hose,confirming fuel flow.Check your fuel/water seperator that hose from tank enters the flow in arrow and exits at the flow out arrow point.Also very important.Are your tote tanks genuine Yamaha,if not could be a problem.Try to eliminate non genuine products from the fuel delivery system.A word of warning our Yamaha 30hp BET engines will suffer possible engine damage if run out of fuel.The fuel is the lubricant.
Honestly Splash it is pretty straight forward to check if there is fuel to the motor,if it is getting fuel and still will not start your problems lie with the dealer.Your seperator should not be a problem,we run seperators with the thirties and have over 280 hrs on them with no dramas.And we have genuine tote tanks ans swap out while the engine is running and no hiccups.Good luck with it.Jim

Splash
06-08-2012, 07:51 PM
Welcome Bigjimg.

Thanks for your input, Post #55 may assist with your first few sentences.

Also, I do not have genuine yami tank, but I will buy them now.

Splash

Splash
06-08-2012, 07:57 PM
...A word of warning our Yamaha 30hp BET engines will suffer possible engine damage if run out of fuel.The fuel is the lubricant.

... hence the importance of the dealer doing a water test with the same fuel system...during PD and before handover to customer....

SPlash

Tangles
06-08-2012, 08:11 PM
Splash just take it back to your dealer and ask them to sort it, first port of call, your angry with them for not doing a water test so why not let them sort it

mike

Tickleish
06-08-2012, 08:25 PM
I'll eat my hat if its not the NON - YAMAHA tank & fittings your trying to use.

Lets re - cap.

Dealer runs boat on GENUINE YAMAHA tank & fittings and runs fine.

You hook up old tank you found somewhere and boat runs for a few minutes until dealer fuel runs out of system.

Now you can't get it to start because you have the wrong TANK & Fittings.

Good luck

Crunchy
06-08-2012, 08:48 PM
Hey Splash, I've read from start to finish and I would like to make sure 100% that you did take the plug off the fuel hose that connects to the engine and try to pump fuel using the bulb? I know my spare fuel hose/priming bulb does not have removable fittings, both tote tank end and engine end are crimped on (cheapy but it's just a back up) Now I just tried on my spare tank and if the ball Bering in the fitting is not depressed the primer bulb will stay soft and not pump any fuel, only when I depress the ball bearing in that fitting did the primer start moving the fuel and the bulb eventually go firm. Like others have said I think the fuel hose fitting is not making a proper connection on the motor and therefore primer not moving fuel. Did the tank/ fuel Line come with the motor or was it from a previous boat? When I bought my spare tank I had to make sure I chose the right fitting as different outboard brands have different fittings. which plug does your fuel line plug look like?

http://www.biasboating.com.au/category_s/196.htm

I have the c-tek 7000, it can get pretty hot when has a bit of work to do, it has built in thermal cutout so I wouldn't worry too much.

Good luck with it all

Cheers
Crunchy

Splash
06-08-2012, 09:05 PM
I'll eat my hat if its not the NON - YAMAHA tank & fittings your trying to use. feeling hungry?

Dealer runs boat on GENUINE YAMAHA tank & fittings and runs fine. On what basis do you believe this actually occurred?? No proof exists that this even occurred. (separator was bone dry with no fuel residual inside upon pickup of boat).

You hook up old tank you found somewhere and boat runs for a few minutes until dealer fuel runs out of system. Dealer to confirm

Now you can't get it to start because you have the wrong TANK & Fittings. Only time will tell after I buy a genuine Yami fuel tank with genuine make connector.

Crunchy - which plug are you referring to? I cannot see any plug????

Splash

astro66
06-08-2012, 09:27 PM
http://www.biasboating.com.au/category_s/460.htm

Tangles
06-08-2012, 09:29 PM
I'll eat my hat if its not the NON - YAMAHA tank & fittings your trying to use. feeling hungry?

Dealer runs boat on GENUINE YAMAHA tank & fittings and runs fine. On what basis do you believe this actually occurred?? No proof exists that this even occurred. (separator was bone dry with no fuel residual inside upon pickup of boat).

You hook up old tank you found somewhere and boat runs for a few minutes until dealer fuel runs out of system. Dealer to confirm

Now you can't get it to start because you have the wrong TANK & Fittings. Only time will tell after I buy a genuine Yami fuel tank with genuine make connector.

Splash

Hey Splash,

why get angsty with Ausfishers? 10 pages of people trying to help,, pull your head in... its your issue with the dealer not people trying to help! seriously!!!!

gazza2006au
06-08-2012, 09:30 PM

SplashSplash lol when a shop sells u a engine its strait from the crate it cannot contain fuel or oil the mechanics ran your engine thats how u had enough fuel to run the engine for 2mins

Jarrah Jack
06-08-2012, 09:34 PM
This is the fastest thread I've ever seen. If finga was on board it would be up to 20 pages OR if the motor was an etec.

choppa
06-08-2012, 09:37 PM
its not the tank.,,,, crikery the tank hooked up to my 30hp Merc,,, also ran the 9hp Johnno,,, and prior came from Suzuki,,,,,

it has to be revolving around the fitting

recap again,,,, splash placed "open ended hose direct into fuel tank",,, primed,,, and fuel came out the other end

placed hose/fitting back on tank,,,,, nothing

Dealer has supplied hose and fitting only,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, SPlash supplied tank

I'll eat my hat with you if it's not the fitting on the tank,,,,,,,,,, unscrew it from the elbow,,,, replace it with a male thread to 6mm hosetail and retry it,,,,,,

now about your M&G,,,, how much does the Golf Course charge for a round of 18 up there?

Splash
06-08-2012, 10:00 PM
thanks boys..choppa - i'll make some enquiries for you ...:-)

Splash

myusernam
06-08-2012, 10:01 PM
Hey Splash,

why get angsty with Ausfishers? 10 pages of people trying to help,, pull your head in... its your issue with the dealer not people trying to help! seriously!!!!

totally agree. asks questions and then gets cranky if he doesn't like the answers.
Take it back to the dealer if you're not competent or confident mate.

Crunchy
06-08-2012, 10:06 PM
Right so it's the tank end fitting then, thought it might be the engine end fitting, either or that's the likely cause...easy fix no need for new tanks, new hoses, new primer bulb or even a new engine...just a new tank fitting as per the link on astro's post. Not sure you can blame the dealer for this one.

Buy this http://www.biasboating.com.au/product_p/0718.htm

dan sheard
07-08-2012, 07:41 AM
Mate,
Why would you need to buy a genuine tank, Should'nt one be supplied with the outboard when you got it.

gazza2006au
07-08-2012, 12:42 PM
Mate,
Why would you need to buy a genuine tank, Should'nt one be supplied with the outboard when you got it.yeah thats what i thought all new outboards came with new tanks?

Tickleish
07-08-2012, 12:43 PM
its not the tank.,,,, crikery the tank hooked up to my 30hp Merc,,, also ran the 9hp Johnno,,, and prior came from Suzuki,,,,,

it has to be revolving around the fitting

recap again,,,, splash placed "open ended hose direct into fuel tank",,, primed,,, and fuel came out the other end

placed hose/fitting back on tank,,,,, nothing

Dealer has supplied hose and fitting only,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, SPlash supplied tank

I'll eat my hat with you if it's not the fitting on the tank,,,,,,,,,, unscrew it from the elbow,,,, replace it with a male thread to 6mm hosetail and retry it,,,,,,

now about your M&G,,,, how much does the Golf Course charge for a round of 18 up there?

I wasn't suggesting the plastic holding the fuel made the differance but the fitting in the no yamaha tank.

kind_cir
07-08-2012, 04:29 PM
It's all fixed now, he has gone fishing.

gazza2006au
07-08-2012, 04:31 PM
It's all fixed now, he has gone fishing.are u sure? i think he doesnt have any faith in outboards now ;D

kind_cir
07-08-2012, 06:33 PM
are u sure? i think he doesnt have any faith in outboards now ;D
No, he has faith,... He's in a plastic tub after all, if you got no faith, you got nothing.

Crunchy
07-08-2012, 07:31 PM
Either that or he's gone to the recyclers and donated it for milk crates?

kind_cir
07-08-2012, 07:37 PM
Either that or he's gone to the recyclers and donated it for milk crates?
C'mon, that's a bit harsh.... He'd at least be able to get a few $'s for it, and the engie would be worth just a few bob in scrap too.

WalrusLike
07-08-2012, 07:40 PM
C'mon, that's a bit harsh.... He'd at least be able to get a few $'s for it, and the engie would be worth just a few bob in scrap too.

Guys no need to be cruel.... The motor should be worth heaps..... It's only run for three minutes. :)

Spaniard_King
07-08-2012, 07:43 PM
Think he's gone to trade it in on a new Honda :)

Moonlighter
07-08-2012, 08:02 PM
Wishful thinking there from at least 2 angles, I reckon, Garry!;)

Thoughts?

ML

LittleSkipper
07-08-2012, 08:19 PM
I'm already laughing!;D This thread has become a bit like speed dating, you never know what your gonna get?

myusernam
07-08-2012, 08:25 PM
splash needs his own sub forum called questions from splash.

he can live tweet to it as he goes up the river.

#splash. there are three arms at this junction, should I go left, right or straight ahead? Thoughts?

Alchemy
07-08-2012, 08:38 PM
I'm astounded at what seems to be a complete lack of mechanical aptitude, problem solving ability and basic knowledge of how your own boat works. Anyone who goes out in a boat should carry a basic tool kit and be able to diagnose and repair basic faults at sea. Sure, it may have been the dealers fault, but what happens when a problem arises for real?

Crunchy
07-08-2012, 08:41 PM
Splash come back....we're only joking!

kind_cir
08-08-2012, 06:25 AM
Splash come back....we're only joking!

Give him half a chance..... Geeee he's still rowing back to the ramp ya know.

SunnyCoastMark
08-08-2012, 07:33 AM
Give him half a chance..... Geeee he's still rowing back to the ramp ya know.

Well, his wife is anyway.....................

kind_cir
08-08-2012, 07:46 AM
Well, his wife is anyway.....................

No, you're quite wrong, his Mrs is out shopping for a new outboard. I realy feel for the poor bloke ya know, but it's the Australian way to take the piss out of him.

Maybe he'll get lucky and wack a snapper over the head with his oar, at least then he will return to the ramp with a feed.

maimai
08-08-2012, 08:50 AM
Give the poor guy a break guys, Not everyone knows alot about everything, he is upset and stressed ATM with this sarga and it will sort it self out, It would get to me also if i was in his shoes, really no need for smart remarks

WalrusLike
08-08-2012, 09:06 AM
The smart remarks are just the typical ribbing that happens anytime there are a few blokes gathered. No disrespect or harm is intended....

If Splash pops back on and has another question I am sure all here will try and help. If he has a sense of humor he might have smiled also.... I know I would have.

kind_cir
08-08-2012, 01:31 PM
Give the poor guy a break guys, Not everyone knows alot about everything, he is upset and stressed ATM with this sarga and it will sort it self out, It would get to me also if i was in his shoes, really no need for smart remarks

Hahaha... That's gold, I thought you were serious there for a moment... Almost got me.

But on a serious note.... I do hope he has a laugh and gets his tub running right.

murf
08-08-2012, 05:43 PM
bugger
I just read 168 posts and got no answer to the problem :( hate that, wish threads would finish with a fix

quite a few good suggestions in there too. Noelm did mention the angle on what you have to hold a primer bulb that I have seen stump a lot of people on a boat at Fraser one year. I have never used the primer bulb in 5 years on the 4 strokes, they just run even when changing tanks or filters? maybe I am special?

cheers Murf

gazza2006au
08-08-2012, 06:01 PM
bugger
I just read 168 posts and got no answer to the problem :( hate that, wish threads would finish with a fix

quite a few good suggestions in there too. Noelm did mention the angle on what you have to hold a primer bulb that I have seen stump a lot of people on a boat at Fraser one year. I have never used the primer bulb in 5 years on the 4 strokes, they just run even when changing tanks or filters? maybe I am special?

cheers Murfreread it mate the problem was found :P also read quotes

murf
08-08-2012, 06:09 PM
reread it mate the problem was found :P also read quotes

guessed it just didn't see a confirmation of it

cheers Murf

gazza2006au
08-08-2012, 06:12 PM
guessed it just didn't see a confirmation of it

cheers Murfall along it was the hose connection at the tank splash used an old tank non yamaha connection to a new yamaha hose/connections it was sucking air ;D

Fed
08-08-2012, 07:01 PM
Sadly never confirmed though Gazza, then there's the battery charger issue to address.

gazza2006au
08-08-2012, 07:08 PM
Sadly never confirmed though Gazza, then there's the battery charger issue to address.ah yeah lol i read back a few pages where someone must have edited there quote but ill say that was spot on since splash used a old tank on a merc than a suzuki they both ran now he was trying trifecta on the yamaha lol ;D

Fed
08-08-2012, 07:34 PM
I read that weird post at first I thought it was someone who sold Splash to old tanks and then I thought maybe Splash had another username & got confused and then I thought life's too short to bother with it.

Crunchy
08-08-2012, 07:46 PM
Sadly never confirmed though Gazza, then there's the battery charger issue to address.

Thought I addressed that

captain rednut
08-08-2012, 07:55 PM
i got a head ache reading all this, i hope the yamaha gets sorted soon and lifes back to normal for ya splash.

Fed
08-08-2012, 08:22 PM
Thought I addressed that
Gotcha Crunchy thanks.

Moonlighter
08-08-2012, 09:24 PM
I read that weird post at first I thought it was someone who sold Splash to old tanks and then I thought maybe Splash had another username & got confused and then I thought life's too short to bother with it.

Yes, granted, it is hard to believe, but old Splash had another boat before this poly number. :-X

When I heard that, I said: "Well, I'll be far4ed, I wouldnt have picked that"

The previous boat is apparently where the 2 tanks he is now using came from.;)

But at the rate those 60 Yammies don't use fuel, we could be banging on here for a couple of weeks before he gets back to civilization and gets an internet connevtion and then realizes just how deep the piss is....:-X:-X:-X

Can you imagine the splash phone call to the ISP to get his Internet connection set up....you know, the one where you get to talk to someone whose grasp of English is at best dodgy. That conversation would be gold!

ML

tassjo
08-08-2012, 09:34 PM
just to give my 5 cents worth,after reading a few posts lately there is a lot of members trying to help others but generaly giving them a bum steer,i will probley get my arse kicked ,so be it.post 161 on this tread is on the money to a point.if you are new or a oldie to boating or 4wd etc ask for advice.if you want to know about engines or trailer bearings ask a merchanic,painting a painter you get my drift.this forum has a lot of experts without qualifications just past experiance which is not always right,i was on a thread last night in regards to wheel bearings ,i think it got to 41 posts,what a joke just for some bearing, i have been in the auto repaire industry for 20+years.there is only 1 correct way of installing & adjusting a tappered bearing,& its not a bit loose is better than a bit tight.Today a member advised another to use high octane fuel on his motor(better for it) cause he had 150psi.As i replied compression pressure & compresion ratio are not the same The advise some are telling other members is in correct.like this particular post could of been resolved long time of go.A lawyer or some 1 who has now knowledge of boats purchaces a boat has a little prob ask for some advice gets turned off cause there is 2 many conflicting stories without a fix gets rid of the boat cause it is to much hassle,1 less boat in the water which could mean 1 less job for the merchanic,datailer,mariner hope you get my drift.thats my beef

Moonlighter
08-08-2012, 09:56 PM
Thanks for the input Tasso.

The majority of members here do try to offer sensible suggestions, and it is generally known and accepted by people that on open forums like this, you have to learn to sift thru the advice and opinions offered and make up your own mind about what you will do. If you only want expert advice, then go to an expert forum, and expect to pay for it.

So suggest you get off your high horse.

And right back at you, posts like yours where you can't be bothered with paragraphs, sentences, full stops, capitals or punctuation, are so hard to read that everyone, myself included, gave up after about the first 2 lines.

You want to criticize others, then getting your own house into some sort of order first is not a bad idea. You might have something valuable to offer but if all your posts are like that no-one will bother reading them.

Cheers

ML

Greg P
08-08-2012, 09:57 PM
Think he's gone to trade it in on a new Honda :)

You'll be on call 24/7 ;D;D

choppa
08-08-2012, 10:00 PM
i have been in the auto repaire industry for 20+years.

Today a member advised another to use high octane fuel on his motor.

now that's just plain dumb,,,, everyone knows fuel goes in a fuel tank,,,, with the correct fittings of course attached to the said fuel tank and fuel line hose

tassjo
08-08-2012, 10:25 PM
moonlighter you might be wright on my spelling & grammer & i can handle that but when i tell you & others that you are adjusting that wheel bearing wrong as a example can you handle that.

Andy H
08-08-2012, 10:50 PM
Is there something wrong with his bearings now? That's bad luck!

tassjo
08-08-2012, 10:57 PM
just some more info for you moonlighter ,you are worried about my speeling (its not only me on this forum but anyway).You included could be giving members incorrect info on a particular topic cause you have not got the qualification .AT LEST I HAVE GOT A PIECE OF PLASTIC IN MY WALLET TELLING ME I AM A QUILIFIED MOTOR MERCHANIC & CAN GIVE OUT SOME ADVISE 7NOT JUST BLOWING IN THE WIND LIKE SOME

Moonlighter
08-08-2012, 11:02 PM
Tass

Was taught how to pack, fit and adjust wheel bearings by an expert mechanic more than 30 years ago, so I wouldn't need to be asking for advice on that from you or anyone else.

But, if you did offer me advice on anything i asked for help with on an Ausfish thread, I would do exactly what I said earlier, which is to weigh up yours and everyone else's opinions and then make up my own mind what to do. Hope that is OK with you.

Enough of this. If you want to continue with a discussion on the quality of advice being offered here on Ausfish, the proper thing to do is to start your own thread, not hijack someone else's. That is considered to be poor form.

Bye!

ML

tassjo
08-08-2012, 11:19 PM
AS OF MY FIRST REPLY ON THIS THREAD COULD OF BEEN SORTED LONG TIME AGO (JUST GIVING OTHER MEMBERS BAD INFO WITH NO X PERTICE.HOPE YOU LIKE MY SPEELING MOONLIGHTER
PS.just cause you were shown how to fit bearings dosnt make you A EXPERT.HOPE YOU CATCH SOME FISH

wayno60
08-08-2012, 11:47 PM
Would you two get a room.......:o

Is there something wrong with his bearings now? That's bad luck!
what a crack up.;D

The mrs has 50 shades of gray and i have this, this is much more fun!!::)

deckie
09-08-2012, 04:05 AM
Who's hogging the popcorn ? Sounds sorted hopefully, but looking like it has more potential now. Great thread...fast thread is a good thread.

Splash...whilst you're here can i just say that i was appalled at the public dunny at Jabiru shops last week. Now i've taken emergency dumps in some pretty bad places in my time, but this was like a scene from the exorcist. You know it aint good when u even have to check the ceiling above you. Made my worst top 5 list for "creativity with shit". Tell them to stop sniffing that uranium. Sorry, probably a bit off topic but felt a need to lodge a complaint somewhere.

Shawn 66
09-08-2012, 06:05 AM
bugger

cheers Murf

I have never had to use it either om my Yammie 40 4 Stroke Murf.
Shawn

choppa
09-08-2012, 07:21 AM
Great thread...fast thread is a good thread..

choppa

Fed
09-08-2012, 10:46 AM
What's the verdict Splash?

mattooty
09-08-2012, 10:57 AM
just to give my 5 cents worth,after reading a few posts lately there is a lot of members trying to help others but generaly giving them a bum steer,i will probley get my arse kicked ,so be it.post 161 on this tread is on the money to a point.if you are new or a oldie to boating or 4wd etc ask for advice.if you want to know about engines or trailer bearings ask a merchanic,painting a painter you get my drift.this forum has a lot of experts without qualifications just past experiance which is not always right,i was on a thread last night in regards to wheel bearings ,i think it got to 41 posts,what a joke just for some bearing, i have been in the auto repaire industry for 20+years.there is only 1 correct way of installing & adjusting a tappered bearing,& its not a bit loose is better than a bit tight.Today a member advised another to use high octane fuel on his motor(better for it) cause he had 150psi.As i replied compression pressure & compresion ratio are not the same The advise some are telling other members is in correct.like this particular post could of been resolved long time of go.A lawyer or some 1 who has now knowledge of boats purchaces a boat has a little prob ask for some advice gets turned off cause there is 2 many conflicting stories without a fix gets rid of the boat cause it is to much hassle,1 less boat in the water which could mean 1 less job for the merchanic,datailer,mariner hope you get my drift.thats my beef

If he wants the advice of a mechanic he could've taken it to the dealer, that'd be the better option than trying to decipher illiterate/poor grammatical posts. That's what a forum is for, advice from a wide variety of people; Tradies to lawyers to dead sh!ts to pencil pushers. Everyone has a story to tell, even if they don't have a piece of plastic in their wallet to prove it. Take it with a pinch of salt, take it as gospel, noone's forcing anyone to do anything.

Crunchy
09-08-2012, 11:07 AM
We were having fun until Tossjo came along and spoiled it....or should that be.......wee wer haveng funn ontil tossjo cum a long and did a spowel on it

Fed
09-08-2012, 12:20 PM
Here's post #161 for anyone interested.

I'm astounded at what seems to be a complete lack of mechanical aptitude, problem solving ability and basic knowledge of how your own boat works. Anyone who goes out in a boat should carry a basic tool kit and be able to diagnose and repair basic faults at sea. Sure, it may have been the dealers fault, but what happens when a problem arises for real?
It's nothing short of stupid to suggest that post was on the money Tassjo, no one should be expected to be a half baked motor mechanic before they can go out in a boat.

Zippidy
09-08-2012, 12:38 PM
We were having fun until Tossjo came along and spoiled it....or should that be.......wee wer haveng funn ontil tossjo cum a long and did a spowel on it

That's the best reply in this whole saga hahaha

Lovey80
09-08-2012, 02:44 PM
My head hurts after reading this. There was definitely some well intentioned bum steering going on. I just read from start to finish. I have never had to manually prime a fuel sep/filter. Simply, using the hand pump primer should work. Once I had to crack the water bleed valve in a larger separator to release an air void but once fuel started flowing into the bowl it was fine.

My own bad experiences using crap old Army marine equipment made me fault find everything myself. Some observations if I may, SK can you please correct any oversights?

1. The second he said the primer wouldn't go hard and the arrows were correct and he couldn't get fuel to the separator via the hose that should have narrowed it down pretty quickly. If it had any major air leaks after the separator, it shouldn't affect the ability of a serviceable tank and line getting fuel to the separator. Priming with the hand pump should push out any air after the separator. That should narrow it down to a problem between the tank and the separator pretty quickly.

2. If the hose fittings were reversed on the fuel separator, would not the primer bulb go hard attempting to push fuel into a one way valve? Either way once checked that ruled that out.

3. To my mind that left one of a couple of easily identified problems:

A) the fuel tank pick up was buggered. He used a second (but similar tank). That led to;

B) the valve fitting on the hose to the tank was either blocked or sucking air. By bypassing this by taking off the connector and putting it directly in the tank, he got fuel to flow.

4) If a valve inside the engine cowl on the fuel line was turned to off the primer would go hard pretty quick and if there was any unsealed parts between the tank and this valve, they would allow the line to bleed until fuel started coming out of them, if not the hand primer would go hard.

So the answer was either the male fitting on the tank is incompatible with the female hose fitting or the female hose fitting is not serviceable. Solution was to change the tank or hose fitting to match. Being that he has two similar tanks, getting the female hose fitting that matched both tanks not only rules out the female fitting being dodgy it stops him having to change the male fitting on two tanks and is likely to be much cheaper.

Have I missed something? Splash where did you get to?

Crunchy
09-08-2012, 03:06 PM
Solution was to change the tank or hose fitting to match. Yes!!! Being that he has two similar tanks, getting the female hose fitting that matched both tanks not only rules out the female fitting being dodgy it stops him having to change the male fitting on two tanks and is likely to be much cheaper. This part I dont get

Lovey80

Thanks for the good summary of the thread, but here are two issues with your post I'm not happy about:

1) I cant quite get my head around this last part
2) You didn't have a crack at Tossjo, which is currently where this threat is at

Mucho appreciated if you could rectify 1 & 2 above.

Cheers

TheRealAndy
09-08-2012, 03:15 PM
Geezuz, wonder where mod5 is these days. Half this thread would have been trashed by now.

Roughasguts
09-08-2012, 03:26 PM
Geezuz, wonder where mod5 is these days. Half this thread would have been trashed by now.

Sacked like all the Fishnet ones maybe!;););)

Crunchy
09-08-2012, 03:50 PM

yep its probably run its course by now....threads to get stuck into have been a bit few and far between lately though so it was good while it lasted.

dugggy
09-08-2012, 04:13 PM
Thats thrue!! Now if only Splash will buy a Noble boat from Springwood marine with an E-Tec and have it serviced by Tossjo.....that should provide days of entertainment.......:)
Cheers

Lovey80
09-08-2012, 04:16 PM
Lovey80

Thanks for the good summary of the thread, but here are two issues with your post I'm not happy about:

1) I cant quite get my head around this last part
2) You didn't have a crack at Tossjo, which is currently where this threat is at

Mucho appreciated if you could rectify 1 & 2 above.

Cheers

I'm not sure I understand what you don't understand.

Option 1: replace 2 x male fittings in his two fuel tanks to fit the Yammy female hose fitting. At probably twice or more the cost of getting a female hose fitting that suits the two tanks.

Option 2: replace two fuel tanks' male fittings to suit the Yammy female hose fitting and possibly run the risk of the female Yammy hose fitting still having a fault with it.

Solution, change the female Yammy hose fitting to an OMC female hose fitting and problem is solved with half the cost.

Crunchy
09-08-2012, 04:29 PM
OK Gotcha...yep I think that is the answer Splash was looking for so hopefully he comes back and sees we got there in the end

Crunchy
09-08-2012, 04:31 PM
Thats thrue!! Now if only Splash will buy a Noble boat from Springwood marine with an E-Tec and have it serviced by Tossjo.....that should provide days of entertainment.......:)
Cheers

That's a crack up and a good note to end on!

Boat Hog
09-08-2012, 05:43 PM
Have I missed something? Splash where did you get to?

He and his wife are on their way to London ... something about being called up for the aussie rowing team? ::)

That's a crack up and a good note to end on!

I hope it's not over! Starting to get good now! ;D ;D

Had a bloke at work one time, swears he was a diesel mechanic; "Yes, yes, diesel mechanic, that is my job!". Turns out before arriving in Aus he did a 3 month course at the Cairo Heavy Vehicle Institute. Not sure how he was at wheel bearings tho. :-X ::)

Cheers,

Alchemy
09-08-2012, 06:18 PM
Here's post #161 for anyone interested.

It's nothing short of stupid to suggest that post was on the money Tassjo, no one should be expected to be a half baked motor mechanic before they can go out in a boat.

I don't recall suggesting that anyone needed to be a half baked mechanic, rather have some mechanical aptitude, basic problem solving skills and an understanding of how your own boat works. You can't always rely on rapid help from others (including rescue authorities etc) and I believe it is the skippers responsibility to ensure they have these basic skills before going out (actually, I think it should be a condition of being able to get a boat licence). If they don't or aren't capable of these skills then they shouldn't own a boat.

Regards,
Dave.

Alchemy
09-08-2012, 06:28 PM

choppa
09-08-2012, 06:34 PM
now I'm no motor mechanic,,, but what your saying is that you impose that every "boatie" should be,,, before they get a licence,,,???

so i'll have to send ChopJr of to College to become a "Mechanic",,, before a "Skipper"

I had a thread going similar to this,,, but instead of fuel,,,, it was a "miss" in the motor,,,, not all the time,,,, "spasmodic",,,, but enough to stop the motor restarting on a number of occasions???,,,,, lots of advice came back,,,, none helped,,,

I think from memory you responded to that thread????

Chop

astro66
09-08-2012, 06:38 PM
love how threads end in a flaming heap here....;D
all it came down to is a bit of misscomunication from the OP getting his point across...
and people keen to help...;)
fixed in the end no harm done :)

Alchemy
09-08-2012, 07:06 PM
now I'm no motor mechanic,,, but what your saying is that you impose that every "boatie" should be,,, before they get a licence,,,???

so i'll have to send ChopJr of to College to become a "Mechanic",,, before a "Skipper"

I had a thread going similar to this,,, but instead of fuel,,,, it was a "miss" in the motor,,,, not all the time,,,, "spasmodic",,,, but enough to stop the motor restarting on a number of occasions???,,,,, lots of advice came back,,,, none helped,,,

I think from memory you responded to that thread????

Chop

Chop,

No idea if I responded to your post about a miss in the motor and don't really see the relevance to it right now. If it is then please post up a link. Oh, and you might need to brush up on your comprehension of the english language mate. I didn't suggest that anyone needed to be a mechanic or even a half baked mechanic. I simply stated and will again for the third time that I believe skippers should have some "mechanical aptitude, basic problem solving skill and understand how their own boat works".

Regards,
Dave.

marto78
09-08-2012, 07:38 PM
WTF happened to this thread in the last 24hrs???

And how come everyone else doesn't get 40 posts per page?

Chimo
09-08-2012, 07:47 PM
Because Splash / Cam asks the questions many are loth to ask, see below

C
C

WalrusLike
09-08-2012, 07:57 PM
Yeah I am glad he did.... And all the other questions from others... Including me.

I have learnt heaps from all the helpful folk here. Still don't know much... Way more to learn. Gotta love this site.

marto78
09-08-2012, 07:58 PM
Because Splash / Cam asks the questions many are loth to ask, see below

C
C

The one that pee's on the electric fence always seem to brighten up my day ;D

Fed
09-08-2012, 08:05 PM
We'll have to agree to disagree Alchemy I'm happy to see pen pushers go boating without any mechanical knowledge at all.

netmaker
09-08-2012, 08:08 PM
i took no one out in my tinny before i was familiar with it. i could not see any reason to jeopardise anyones safety for my new hobby until i felt i was proficient enough to do so. 25 years ago i disassembled and reassembled my v8 but i am not a marine mechanic (garry looks after me there;D). i bought my minn kota primarily as a back up means of getting home (got the i-pilot for the fun;)). i carry 260 ah to get me home from moreton if need be. maybe i am over cautious...

Jarrah Jack
09-08-2012, 08:10 PM
WTF happened to this thread in the last 24hrs???

And how come everyone else doesn't get 40 posts per page?

And some are more honest than others hey Marto.

wayno60
09-08-2012, 08:36 PM
so is it sorted, if yes what was the prob and how did he fix it?

Steeler
09-08-2012, 09:06 PM
Should have purchased a Merc

Roughasguts
09-08-2012, 09:44 PM
Where Tosso tonight!
Did you guy's scare him away or is he back at Tafe sitting in on the Hair dressing course once again........ Can't imagine for a moment he did a mechanican course.

Sorry me just baiting.

Cheers

SHOOTER1
11-08-2012, 10:20 PM
i THINK IT MUST BE THE TANK VENT :)

stevemid
12-08-2012, 03:59 PM
The one person who could have sorted this for sure is Mister. Mister???? Where are you when you are needed?

On the subject of trouble shooting and having just re-read the entire post, and going back to my days as a guided missile technician (read: plastic in wallet sort of) two questions have to be asked: 1. Where/when does it work? and 2. Where when does it not work? Testing any problem and changing variables with those two questions usually narrows things down to the problem.

It seems to me that Splash sorted that when he took the ends off the hose, stuck it in the tank, and it worked. That kind of narrowed it down to the stuff that is tank-ward from the end of the hose. But my recollection is he refused to run the motor in that state, so we'll never know. So that leaves only etiquette to be addressed.

Could I suggest the following:
1. Splash has abandoned his thread, therefore we are OK to keep going with other subjects.
2. No one should be obligated to read 200 posts on a thread before offering advice. Offering advice is not quite as much fun as fishing but it is fun.
3. Because of No 2, anyone asking for help should expect to get duplicate advice, duplicate questions, and even wrong advice. It is still up to the person asking for help to sort out the good from the bad.
4. It would be bad manners to point out to someone that he hadn't read a post 4 pages back, and to go the the trouble to go back there yourself to pick up the post number. That is acting like a prick. Better just to ignore answers that are off the point.
5. It is really bad form to ask for help, get it, and then leave all those who helped or just want to get educated in limbo as to the results.
6. Now regarding spelling and punctuation. A motor mechanic does not write or spell as well as someone who does that for a living and neither do people who don't start out with english as their 1st language; also, some pen pushers wouldn't know which way to insert a spark plug (you know where.) Derogatory comments in most areas are probably uncalled for. Let me give you an example of "too frickin high minded:"

Sydney Angler Code of Conduct
1) Spelling and punctuation
Make an effort to adhere to the basics of the English language. Posts where clearly no effort has been made with regards to spelling, grammar and punctuation will be deleted immediately. This is not intended to punish or discriminate against accidental spelling mistakes or those whose spelling skills are less strong (see note below). It is about making an effort.

....but that's Sydney, and Sydney boaters never answer the question, "G'dayhowyagoin."

Splash
12-08-2012, 05:37 PM
OK Boys,

Apologies for not replying sooner.

Just arrived back from Darwin with the right parts in hand.

I purchased an OEM Yami Male threaded connector to suit my OEM yami female connector.

Fits much better, with the primer getting very hard.

Should be good to go :-)

Just FYI everybody, I live around 3 hours away from the nearest boat dealer to buy any parts, and I can only make this trip once a fortnight - and hence the late fix. And, the delay in posts is because I waited for the flaming to subside as I choose not to participate in online flaming.

And, some new information (I think) that should be mentioned - both OEM female connectors are different as well - internally at least. One has a small picture of a fuel tank on it, and the other does not. During my shuffling of female connectors of the diagnosis/troubleshooting, I managed to connect the 'tank' female connector on the motor, which is a NoNo obviously.

Thanks for all of your input fellas. This has been an amazing thread with some comprehensive information for future reference!

SPlash

wayno60
12-08-2012, 06:02 PM
thank god for that!!!!!!!!
Now who's got another question we can drag out for 15 pages...

Splash
12-08-2012, 06:16 PM
thank god for that!!!!!!!!
Now who's got another question we can drag out for 15 pages...

16 pages now ...:-)

SPlash

Prowl n Wolf
12-08-2012, 06:17 PM
stevemid, that is gold. :thumbsup: