harrydog74
31-07-2012, 08:09 PM
Saw a great bargain on Ebay today

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330771733280

Looks very similar to my boat

http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=12599563

phantomphisher
31-07-2012, 08:15 PM
WOOOOOOOOOOW!!!!!! 11 bids as well. Feel sorry for the poor bugger that falls into that trap.

Jarrah Jack
31-07-2012, 08:22 PM
The seller has a lot of pos feedback which is unusual. I think you should contact ebay to warn them before someone gets burnt. Well done for spotting it.

ozscott
31-07-2012, 08:25 PM
What have you done about it mate?

johncar
31-07-2012, 08:30 PM
I can't see the resemblance at all, but are you going to bid on it? Looks like a nice rig.
I sent a message to the ebay member who is possibly not aware of the scam, their account is possibly hijacked as well.

astro66
31-07-2012, 08:31 PM
im buying the one on ebay...heaps cheeper... lol ....should bid that sucker sky high

harrydog74
31-07-2012, 08:37 PM
I have recieved 2 phone calls today from people that saw it on ebay and then did an image search and aslo found it on boatpoint. They then contacted me to inform me. Thankyou to those people.

Contacted the police and they can do nothing until money passes hands. Contacted ebay and was told to fill out a form (Notice of claimed infringment) and send it back to them, but still not alot they can do. They aslo suggested to contact seller as it is possible that the sellers account has been hacked.

cormorant
31-07-2012, 09:25 PM
Oh hell - the bloke has sold the same holden cruze twice recently as well. I hope peopel didn't get caught

Ebay need to do more than just fill out a form.

Boatpoint should be doing a lot more about images off their site with at least watermarks .

So how does teh 2nd part of the scam works - surely no one would be silly enough to pay before collection or is there some other part of this scam? >:(

Very good you were told of this.

chris69
31-07-2012, 09:31 PM
If they caught the person that is doing this they should be dragged around the carpark at the boat ramp but this person could be any were around the world,just scum,but ebay should just close the account.

ericcs
31-07-2012, 10:17 PM
a couple of weeks ago, a workmate here in brisbane, bid on a pair of jetski's in karratha. when pressed, the alleged owner couldn't give any details about them, and wouldn't allow a contact over there to view them. in the photo, a sticker could be seen who the service agent was, i think they lived in melbourne. someone had taken photo's of them while they were in for a service, then posted them for sale on ebay. the seller, who fessed up when threatened with police action, was a young naive pup, who was recruited to act as a middle man and sell items for a commission

cormorant
31-07-2012, 10:26 PM
This post should be kept going to keep us all aware of the latest tactics the scum are using. More people that know the less chance of anyone getting caught out.

The listing is now removed - Guess the give away is the "buyer must contact via XXX quintrex @ hotmail.com" account and was same for the Cruze sold twice being "sale cruze @ hotmail.com"

Should have got a copy so others can recognise the strategy.

Jeff72
31-07-2012, 10:28 PM
It really makes me agro that these types try (and succeed) these scams instead of earning cash the honest way like the rest of us. Don,t really see how they expect to pull this one off though. Can't see a boatie paying up front before taking possession. Bit hard to pick up a boat in brisbane when its shedded in agnes. Hope the message gets through to the bidders to pull out.
Jeff

stevemid
01-08-2012, 04:10 PM
Im looking for a tow vehicle and this is a very good heads up on how popular items can be spoofed. Buyer beware.

TopBhoy
01-08-2012, 04:28 PM
One for the legal buffs. If ebay don't remove the ad after being notified, can they be sued for not conducting due dilligance given the significant cost of the item on sale? For instance, you wouldn't expect an art house to put a Van Gough on auction without investigating its authenticity and the sellers right to legal ownership! Either ebay is an auction site or its not....it needs stronger laws to make its mind up.

Drifty75
01-08-2012, 06:11 PM
Regardless of the scams going around the net etc, the same old rule of thumb applies...

An idiot and their money is easily parted...

Anyone who does get scammed online pretty much deserves it IMO. It's the freaking internet you nub, trust nobody and believe nothing... If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

dan12345
01-08-2012, 06:50 PM
i have recently been done by a scammer through gumtree.com advertising a reel i contacted him spoke to him on the phone an the story seemed pretty fair to me,now I'm not new to online auctions or ebay an have bought tons of stuff online etc.i asked for his name an address etc which he told me verbally then i always ask for them to scan an send a copy of there passport an licence just to confirm there address an name before money changed hands. it was only when a fellow member of the fishing club told me on the phone 2 days later he had just purchased the same reel that i had.that i realised i had just been scammed,i have used this method for years with no problems until now. i even contacted an confronted him on the phone he even gave me a dodgy aus post number tracking number, i have passed all the info etc on the police fraud squad so i will se how we go. an to drifty normally i would agree a fool an his money is easily parted but this is not always the case this guy was even dumb enough to supply his passport an licence an still scam people which the police found quite amusing

johncar
01-08-2012, 08:28 PM
And with any ebay sale where the seller account is asking you to email them before bidding or only contact by email will most definitely be dodgy. Always good to send a message to the seller account as it is quite likely their account has been hacked without their knowlege hence the email address to keep the account holder oblivious. These scammers seem to have ways of hacking good honest 100% seller accounts and a reminder to keep your accounts secure as possible.
If someone is using their own account to scam well that would be just stupid.

Lancair
01-08-2012, 09:42 PM
The Ebay item has been removed now !