PDA

View Full Version : Capricorn 40

SnapHead101
30-07-2012, 09:08 PM
Hi, Has anyone experience a Capricorn 40 in a rough sea, any opinion on it's handling ? Cheers

Smithy
30-07-2012, 10:20 PM
They are ok. They are the old Mustang hull. They can put noses through waves a bit at trolling speed I have been told as the weight distribution is different to the old Mustangs and they are more buoyant in the stern.

SnapHead101
31-07-2012, 08:55 PM
Many thanks, still looking for a new offshore fishing boat !

Smithy
31-07-2012, 09:15 PM
Heap of good 40' Black Watches for sale at the moment. If not stick with the 35' Carribbeans or get something from the US.

mal555
01-08-2012, 01:46 PM
Hi, Has anyone experience a Capricorn 40 in a rough sea, any opinion on it's handling ? Cheers

A guy I know bought one new from the Sanctuary Cove show a number of years ago, after many years with an early 80's Bertram 35, the old Volvo powered Bertie was tired and very sluggish performance, so time for an upgrade.
The Capricorn factory guys took the new boat from the Gold Coast to Hamilton Island with this new owner on board after delivery in some pretty bad weather. Another bloke onboard said the skipper did push the boat very hard.
The new owner couldn't believe what an ordinary boat it was at sea, described as very wet and hard riding, especially compared to the old Bertie.
He never went on board again, he put it up for sale with a broker, took nearly three years to sell and lost a bundle just to get out of it.

He kept the old Bertie and repowered it!

patske
01-08-2012, 05:45 PM
From a lot of time on the back deck of a Capricorn 40, I can tell you that they are great punching into it, but they tend to move around a fair bit in a following sea. Which one are you looking at buying?

SnapHead101
01-08-2012, 08:19 PM
From a lot of time on the back deck of a Capricorn 40, I can tell you that they are great punching into it, but they tend to move around a fair bit in a following sea. Which one are you looking at buying?

There is a 2007 model on the sunshine coast for 348K which is pretty good considering the specs. The quoted fuel consumption of 85 litres per hour at 20knots is pretty good if accurate? Was the back deck very large, ie larger than a Caribbean 35 ?

SnapHead101
01-08-2012, 08:27 PM
Smithy, I had considered the states but can't find anything that suits my requirements, ie two cabins, big back deck, good sea boat doing 15 knots that doesn't burn a heap of fuel. The only boats so far that seem to fit the bill is a single engined Steber 43 or a Caribbean 35. Unfortunately there are only three Caribbeans for sale and despite being on the market for over a year or more they aren't negotiable on price ! I thought I had a steber 43 bought three weeks ago, however the statement "I will consider X amount of dollars for my boat" doesn't actually mean "I will sell my boat at X" as I found out ! The Blackwatch models seem to be a little hit and miss as build quality is sometimes not there !

patske
01-08-2012, 11:22 PM
As far as back deck goes, I would say that it's a little larger than a Caribbean 35, definitely more noticeable if you don't have a chair on the back.I'm pretty sure I know the boat and it goes good. Definitely raises billfish and has even won a tournament if it's the same one. I don't think you will find many 35 caribbeans around fitted out as nicely.

Smithy
02-08-2012, 08:44 AM
Pat, could be another one across the canal from my boat too. I would have to have a look on Boatpoint to be sure. That one has a fold down canopy to get under bridges and no outriggers.