PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Brake problem.

jeffo
28-07-2012, 03:22 PM
Hi all,

Decided today was a good day to put new bearings in my boat trailer that i have had for a bit over a year.

The brakes have never been quite right, i have always had a bit of brake dust on the rims. The outside caliper is always slightly in contact with the brake disc.

Since I have the wheels off, there is no better time to get this issue sortted as well.

When I tighten the 2 bolts that hold the assembly on the trailer, it seams to pull the whole set up slightly out of sqaure, enough for the outside to touch the disc.

Can someone help me out with whether or not the set up looks right (i havent had a trailer with brakes before).

Here is a photo of the set up fully tightened up.

jeffo
28-07-2012, 03:24 PM
I can achieve this when i loosen the bolts off.

Greg P
28-07-2012, 03:47 PM
Jeff - can you get a pic from the back of the caliper. Sometimes those two bolts that hold the caliper are in sleeves that may not be in position.

jeffo
28-07-2012, 04:03 PM
Here ya go Greg.

Cheers.

Axl
28-07-2012, 05:16 PM
The caliper is designed to move/float on the two sleeves that Greg P has mentioned above. There is nothing wrong with your set up at all.

When the brakes are applied the inside pad is pushed against the disc buy the brake arm contacting with the plate that you can see in the pic comming through the caliper, at the same time the arm pulls the whole caliper back in so as the outside pad can make contact hence the whole caliper floats.

The excess brake dust you are seeing is where the caliper decides it is going to sit after braking allowing the outside pad to rub slighly on the disc. There is not alot you will able to do about it other than checking them once a year.

Mine do this as well I hope this makes sense.

jeffo
28-07-2012, 05:31 PM
Thanks Axl, I wondered if this may be the case, as I could rattle the whole lot around a bit to sit a bit better.

Ill just leave it be then.

Cheers.

Greg P
28-07-2012, 06:38 PM
Yep - all good as Axl mentioned.

johncar
28-07-2012, 07:15 PM
You could at least lubricate the slides with some good marine grease and any other moving parts and an occasional spray around the caliper with a bit of INOX should keep things working longer. If those mounting bolts aren't seized yet it would be a good idea to remove them and apply some marine grease to the threads and bolts and refit.

propdinger
28-07-2012, 09:06 PM
Also put grease on the steel back of the discs brakes as they rust before they wear out

wrxhoon
28-07-2012, 09:19 PM
If want brakes that will work, go hydraulic. better still full S/S rotors and calipers.

jeffo
29-07-2012, 06:52 AM
Cheers guys.
These brakes work well enough for what I require, just didnt like the brake dust and thought it may be a problem. My boat is only a 445 Haines. the first 2 years i owned it, it sat on a tiny little trailer with no brakes. I put it over the weigh bridge and it was over the 750kg limit so bought a new Alloy trailer with brakes meant for a 5m+ boat. I never had problems pulling up with out the brakes, just wanted to abide by the law and cover my arse for insurance should i ever need it.

LittleSkipper
29-07-2012, 07:36 AM
Gidday Jeffo!

Was looking at the pics of your brakes & could not see any brake caliper arm return springs fitted?

Do you have these fitted? The springs return the caliper arm to stop the brake pads from dragging.

Does anybody know if these springs are really necessary?

Axl
29-07-2012, 07:49 AM
There is a return spring on the back of the arm in the last photo LittleSkipper (I think). If you didnt have one the inside pad may drag as well as the outside one (which it does anyway to a degree).

As johncar mentioned a bit of grease on the caliper sleeves would certainly help them slide easier and potentially they may move/be bumped out of the way of the disc when you are traveling.

I have just repacked my bearings cleaned up the rotors and put new pads in but I didnt grease the sleeves. Ill hit them with some Lanotec and when next years service comes around ill add some grease to them.