PDA

View Full Version : DAFF Media Release - Fraser Island bound? Fishing closure approaching

Fisheries Queensland
25-07-2012, 09:27 AM
Queensland Government
Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry

Media Release
25 July 2012

Fraser Island bound? Fishing closure approaching

Fraser Island’s a top spot for a family camping and fishing holiday, however those island bound are reminded that the island’s annual fishing closure is approaching.

Fisheries Queensland recreational fishing manager Tony Ham said the closure was in place from midday 1 August to midday 30 September 2012.

“During the closure, an area between Indian Head and Waddy Point is closed to the taking of all finfish,” he said.

“Fishers are only permitted to collect worms and pipis by hand in this closed area.

“All other fishing is prohibited on the foreshore within an area from a point 400m north of Waddy Point to a point 400m south of Indian Head, and 400m out to sea from low water.”

Mr Ham said Fraser Island was renowned for its tailor fishing at this time of the year.

“If people are fishing off the permitted parts of the island during tailor season, they should adhere to the species’ size limit of 35cm and the bag limit of 20,” he said.

“A bag or ‘possession’ limit is the total number of fish an individual can have in their possession at any given time.

“These rules for tailor are in place to ensure the sustainability of Queensland’s tailor fishery so future generations can enjoy fishing just as we do today.”

To order your free Queensland Recreational Boating and Fishing Guide call 13 25 23 or download your copy from www.fisheries.qld.gov.au (http://www.fisheries.qld.gov.au/)

Latest fisheries information can also be found on the Fisheries Queensland website or via Twitter – www.twitter.com/fisheriesqld (http://www.twitter.com/fisheriesqld) or find us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/fisheriesqueensland (http://www.facebook.com/fisheriesqueensland)

Slider
25-07-2012, 10:49 AM
I love this one.

So while recs aren't allowed to fish at all between Waddy and Indian - a location that isn't the principal spawning location of tailor, but merely the location at which the eggs and milt of tailor spawning at the cape end up at due to ocean currents - the pros are allowed to net north of Ngkala and around the cape which is the principal spawning location of tailor and which spooks the tailor away from the cape and from Waddy to Indian anyway.

Another Fisheries Queensland initiative that does bugger all for anyone or anything, as proven by the drastic drop in tailor populations since inception of the ban.

Lucky_Phill
27-07-2012, 07:16 AM
http://www.daff.qld.gov.au/documents/Fisheries_PolicyAndLegislation/FCW-306.pdf

fyi.

Si
31-07-2012, 10:58 PM
I love this one.

So while recs aren't allowed to fish at all between Waddy and Indian - a location that isn't the principal spawning location of tailor, but merely the location at which the eggs and milt of tailor spawning at the cape end up at due to ocean currents - the pros are allowed to net north of Ngkala and around the cape which is the principal spawning location of tailor and which spooks the tailor away from the cape and from Waddy to Indian anyway.

Another Fisheries Queensland initiative that does bugger all for anyone or anything, as proven by the drastic drop in tailor populations since inception of the ban.

the pros not allowed to net on the foreshores 'around the cape' or down the eastern shore. The recs are not allowed to fish in the closed area as indicated. In my opinion the tailor harvest is mostly recreational. this closed area over a limited time is small price to pay i believe.

Slider
01-08-2012, 07:14 AM
Si, the pros are allowed to and do net around the cape to Wathumba and as far south as Nth Ngkala. There is a permanent pro camp at the cape where they leave their boats, nets etc.

Over the last 10 years or so, I have camped at, or been to the cape something like 20+ times. On all but 2 occasions, the nets have been in operation. Those 2 occasions are the only occasions that we've actually caught fish.

Yes, the rec take of tailor is most likely larger than the pros. Never have stated anything different. But if you read and comprehend what I have been writing in the rfl thread and the 'And then there were none' thread, you would understand that the rec impact to tailor populations is not as great as the pros - despite catch rates for each sector. You would understand that the nets north of Ngkala are causing area avoidance by tailor and other species of the Indian Head to Waddy Point region. I won't go into all the other impacts of netting the cape on fish pops generally as well as seabird, dolphin, turtle and shark.

I'd be all for this closure if I thought it actually achieved something, but it doesn't while the pros are netting nth of Ngkala - is why Dundabbara is now the tailor hotspot when it used to be Indian north. I never fish between Indian and Waddy anyway, so it's no personal loss for me. Just sticking up for recreational anglers who don't seem to be able to stick up for themselves.

NAGG
01-08-2012, 07:30 AM
I was up at Fraser for a look a month ago - headed up towards Roonies then shot down the western side literally meters from the shore ( amazing) ..... south of Wuthumba we passed a netters boat heading north ..... a few Ks later we saw their handy work - 100's of dead undersized tailor just outside the shore break - it happened on that mornings tide because only 1 or 2 fish had ended up on the shore ...... Disgusting!!!!!

Chris

Slider
01-08-2012, 12:35 PM
That's not a happy little tale Chris. The schools of 1 yr old tailor work their way to Sandy Cape from the estuaries of Hervey Bay where they've spent their 1st yr, and join the main tailor migration at the Great Sandy Spit. You used to see these schools every day from mid winter through spring, moving at a fair speed up the western side and around the cape - it's obvious what they are, and being mistaken by a pro for something else is very odd.

First time I went to the cape in the mid 70s, there was a school of whiting that went unbroken from the spit to Rooneys - I'm guessing 25kms. They were only 2 - 4 metres out and easy pickings for nets. Not many left there now. Used to see on a regular basis also, 40 or 50 dolphins form up a semi circle and herd the queenies on to the beach - literally. Don't see that anymore. Used to see dozens of flathead all the time on the first little peninsula west of the spit. Not anymore. Used to see dugong and turtle going past every few minutes. Still a few turtles but the dugong disappeared in the early 90s.

Interesting to watch the sharks at the cape when netting is going on. 10 to 15 minutes after the net has been hauled onto the beach and the fish are out of the water, hammerhead and bronzies swim in and directly to the spot where the net had been hauled out. They've either heard or smelt the alalrm cues and from a distance that took them 10 to 15 minutes to get there. Happens every time.

Lucky_Phill
01-08-2012, 03:43 PM
The correct course of action if fishers are operating illegally is to contact the local Boating and Fisheries Patrol and provide them with the information...

The Urangan office contact details are:

(07) 4125 3989

Or the After hours Hotline number is 1800 017 116

cheers Phill