PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Brakes

ozynorts
24-07-2012, 09:41 AM
What is a better option for a trailer brakes. Mechanical or Hydraulic with breakaway?
I am looking at a boat without a trailer and have a price from FMS trailers which will vary slightly with the different choice of brakes.
The boat is below.
http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=12958728
I have only dealt with electric before so am after advice on there two options please.
Haydn

thylacene
24-07-2012, 10:14 AM
With that boat I doubt you have an option, our 6.3M Caribbean tips thescales at 2400Kg on the trailer with 100l fuel and 40l water. Once you exceed 2000kg breakaway brakes are mandatory. Our boat has put on weight since we purchased it, and now lining up to spend $4000 to upgrade from over-ride discs to breakaway with hydraulic discs on 4 wheels and stainless calipers, should have been done straight up, but you learn as you go. Would have saved $500 if we had.

It isn't that the over-ride brakes don't work, it is the exposure in terms of insurance in the event that aything goes wrong, or even just a roadside interview with the mermaids and copping a substantial fine.

Good looking outfit, put it on something long term and safe first up and be happy and comfortable for years.

Cheers

Thy

Chimo
24-07-2012, 11:12 AM
Haydn

You probably will need electric over hydraulic breakaway brakes.

Based on my experience with these type of brakes on a boat trailer IMHO I would also get a decent electric winch like a 912 to haul the boat onto the trailer and so buy one with the max number of rollers so you keep the trailer and especially the brakes out of the salt water right from the start. The benefits are next to no maintenance or repairs due to damage from the salt on the brakes or the wheel bearings and the frame of the trailer will also last for years. Also consider spraying the new trailer with dirty old sump oil and take it for a drive on a dusty track while the oil is wet and sticky so it looks like a shit heap to reduce the risk of theft a little.
Finally you need to master lowering the boat into the water in a controlled fashion to keep hubs, brakes and trailer away from the salt.

Based on this GOM's experience spending a little extra at the start to get extra rollers and electric winch will be saved many times over with almost no maintenance if you get it right from the beginning.

Cheers
Chimo

Spaniard_King
24-07-2012, 02:04 PM
I would be importing an alloy trailer from the USA with Australian compliance for 2500 or 2800kg model

keep the inox up to the disks and you wont have an issue

ozynorts
24-07-2012, 04:11 PM
Thanks gang. Still have a few things to weigh up and am asking a few questions of the boat owner regarding batteries, fuel use and if it has sounder?
H

johncar
24-07-2012, 08:52 PM
Yeah I agree with others, it is most likely you will be well over 2T which will bump the trailer price up a few $K for the Electric over hydraulic system plus the electronic controller for the tow car. I wouldn't skimp on the trailer though if you are wanting a good experience. I would expect a new trailer for that rig would be $8000 - $10000 depending on the complexity, compared to a about $4500 - $6000 for overide mechanical braked. Some used ones around at times but usually expect to spend.
When looking at boats around this size there are some that can sneek in under the 2000KG and it can save you a lot of cash around $4K you can put towards other things, plus have less maintenance on brake systems etc but if you are going to go over the magic 2T you may as well go well over and have the benefits of a bigger rig, so long as you can tow it of course.
We have some good trailer builders in Aus and most of them use the commonly available consumable and generic parts, some US parts are showing up but can be a problem when miles from home with a busted hub. Bits can be hard to get when you really need them.

ozynorts
24-07-2012, 09:13 PM
I have been emailing FMS trailers who custom build to suit the boat. We have decided that if I was to go for it we would go with a trailer at 2500kg ATM to be safe. The boat comes in around 1t dry with 230lts fuel, 40 lt water Yam 150, around 212kg and trailer was going to be too close for comfort. It would end up between 8-9k with elec brakes and most likely elec winch.

wrxhoon
24-07-2012, 09:18 PM
I would be importing an alloy trailer from the USA with Australian compliance for 2500 or 2800kg model

keep the inox up to the disks and you wont have an issue

I would second that, buy a 6000 lb bunk trailer in USA fitted with all Kodiak S/S brakes and either Dexter or Hydrastar 1600 psi actuator and Torsion axles , don't bother with springs. Fit some slides on the bunks ( extra $150) she will roll off like rollers and will not move on the trailer at all.

Muddy Toes
24-07-2012, 09:29 PM
I would second that, buy a 6000 lb bunk trailer in USA fitted with all Kodiak S/S brakes and either Dexter or Hydrastar 1600 psi actuator and Torsion axles , don't bother with springs. Fit some slides on the bunks ( extra $150) she will roll off like rollers and will not move on the trailer at all.

Yep and only cost about $4,500 as opposed to the $12,000 Dunbier quoted me.

timeout
24-07-2012, 09:49 PM
+2 mine is an ezloader for up to a 25 foot boat, built to Aussie regs[had to change tow hitch and replace the chains only for rego] $4400 USA Dollars.Save on freight and get a boat put on it over there;D
http://www.ezloader.com/Brochures/European/European.pdf

Muddy Toes
24-07-2012, 09:56 PM
+2 mine is an ezloader for up to a 25 foot boat, built to Aussie regs[had to change tow hitch and replace the chains only for rego] $4400 USA Dollars.
http://www.ezloader.com/Brochures/European/European.pdf

And to make it easier Ezloader will fit the Au spec tow hitch and the chains if you send them over.Mine is a TALB 21-25 6200.

timeout
24-07-2012, 10:06 PM
And to make it easier Ezloader will fit the Au spec tow hitch and the chains if you send them over.Mine is a TALB 21-25 6200.
same one here mate

ozynorts
25-07-2012, 09:31 AM
Who did you import through, agent?

timeout
25-07-2012, 10:45 AM
mine came with a boat on it from Marine connection in Florida but if you didn't want a boat I would just contact one of their dealers[ezloader] or ask marine connection about a trailer only.Best to phone them ,they are hopeless with emails.I used to call about midnight our time.
Dave

Muddy Toes
25-07-2012, 10:53 AM
I'm the same here.........but I was in contact with ezloader themselves before I bought my boat and they can do it all in house and you can purchase through them.

ozynorts
25-07-2012, 11:34 AM
Hey timeout, marine connection are quoting $6500 delivery to Brisbane. What's the real cost?
Like the look of this.
http://inventory.marineconnection.com/web/inventory/All_years/Sea%20Fox/All_models/All_body_types/?max_length=25&min_length=20&max_price=30000&min_price=20000

PB
25-07-2012, 12:17 PM
I would have thought by time you imported the trailer from the US by its self it would cost the same as getting one built in Australia? different story if importing a boat with it, but i could be wrong???

ozynorts
25-07-2012, 12:34 PM
The price above was for a boat, should have said that.
As for the price of a trailer. I am looking at 9k for a Gal trailer in Aust and this post has people quoting under 5k for an Ali trailer imported. If I could get an Ali trailer for that made locally I would be a happy man.

Scooter101
26-07-2012, 06:21 AM
Interesting reading and info guys, hey can anyone recomend businesses in Brisbane or the Goldy where you can but good trailer parts at not crazy prices? I need some 50mm axles, brake set up, hub, wheels and tyres for a 23ft cat trailer? Many thanks.

Mr__Bean
26-07-2012, 06:30 AM
Some price info here from Probar in Caboolture: http://www.probar.net.au/shop/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=12&sort=20a&page=2

Darren

Muddy Toes
26-07-2012, 07:46 AM
The price above was for a boat, should have said that.
As for the price of a trailer. I am looking at 9k for a Gal trailer in Aust and this post has people quoting under 5k for an Ali trailer imported. If I could get an Ali trailer for that made locally I would be a happy man.

Your not going to get an ally trailer made new over here for that price.......as said earlier Dunbier want $12,000 before i decided to buy O/S.

timeout
26-07-2012, 07:52 AM
Hey timeout, marine connection are quoting $6500 delivery to Brisbane. What's the real cost?
Like the look of this.
http://inventory.marineconnection.com/web/inventory/All_years/Sea%20Fox/All_models/All_body_types/?max_length=25&min_length=20&max_price=30000&min_price=20000
I brought a 24 foot Bayliner on a trailer and the shipping cost was $9000 USD + our end I had to pay $1200AUD for unloading and customs fee.They told me $6500 was for shipping in a container on it's side but unloading here gets more expensive then. You all so have to pay gst a on the boat and shipping price combined.
The shipping included them taking the boat to the dock and I opted for the boat to be shrink wrapped.
Also if you want clears made get a quote from over there ,I got double bimini setup plus full camping clears made for mine for $1200USD ;D
pm me if you want more info mate.

wrxhoon
26-07-2012, 09:47 PM
Yep and only cost about $4,500 as opposed to the $12,000 Dunbier quoted me.

You will not buy one like I stated for $4500 but for $6-6500, you can have a 7000 lb all ally trailer, all S/S fasteners, all S/S Kodiak brakes with large vented rotors ( not the crap 15 mm solid ones you get here), Hydrastar actuator, aluminum bunks ( not wood) and 4 main Xmembers ( not 3), torsion axles, radial tyres, spare tyre, 10000 lb 50mm coupling, S/S sleeves on the axle stubs, gal hubs,genuine B/buddies, guide posts ( easy to drive on) and for about $150 buy the slides so the boat slides off like rollers but much steadier to tow than a roller trailer.
You have to add shipping here, about $2500 and 10% GST, all up about $10k .
IF you could buy this trailer here it would be $16k +.
For $4.5 k you will buy a very basic 6000lb trailer with caldium brakes, that trailer sells here for about $10-11k.

captain red beard
02-08-2012, 06:29 PM
So which is the best place to contact to get a trailer and have it imported over here. I have a mate in need of a trailer for a mustang 2150 asap.
Sorry if I missed part of this thread.
Cheers Red Beard

ozynorts
02-08-2012, 06:35 PM
Hey Red Beard.
http://www.import-a-boat.com.au/index.html
Ask for Rob. He needs 1 more trailer for a shipment that leaves from the states soon.
Ozy

White Pointer
05-08-2012, 08:59 PM
G'day,

Mechanical suggests a cable linkage. If you BMT weighs less that 2-tonne you can use mechanical or you can fit over ride brakes with hydraulics instead of cable. That's what I did. I would never have cable again. A four wheel electric over hydraulic set up is best of course, but expensive.

Regards,

White Pointer