PDA

View Full Version : The cape

dodgyboy90
23-07-2012, 08:31 PM
Hi, so I'm heading up the cape at the start of September, very very excited.
Here's the drama I don't want to take 15 rods and reels so what would the best all round combo that I could take as I am told by my mate we will be doing a lot of different fishing. If there is anyone out there that has solved my problem in the past and can help me out. ;D

fat-buoy
24-07-2012, 10:27 AM
Are you taking or hiring a boat?

If not then the fishing you will probs be doing will be off a pier or from rock ledges. So from the pier a nice 7 foot set up for the queenies etc would be good and from the rocks a little longer two piece spin set up. This would get you fishing most places.

Of course if you are doing charters in the Jardine then you are looking more at spinning or tossing live baits for jacks but the 7 foot set up could be used there too.

I found that a charter in the Jardine was good fun as you can either fish the river but at that time the barra didn't get real big so we headed out to the bay from the mouth and went after queenies... got monstered by sharks continually though..

I am jealous of you right now :)

shane450
24-07-2012, 11:25 AM
Whats the route your taking ?

Boat Hog
24-07-2012, 06:20 PM
Whats the route your taking ?

Hmmm ... probably just an all blokes trip! ;D

aussie_stu
24-07-2012, 06:50 PM
On our last trip to weipa, my most used outfit was my snapper plastic outfit, 7 foot 6-10kg rod, okuma inspiron 30 loaded with 15lb braid, used it to flick the creeks and off the shore, this year I'm taking it plus an 8-10kg overhead with Abu 6000 and that'll cover me I think.

Slider
24-07-2012, 08:04 PM
You'd better rethink that a little Stu. The gt will laugh at you.

aussie_stu
24-07-2012, 09:23 PM
Ok for them I'll throw in the big daddy setup with the 80lb braid ;)

Slider
25-07-2012, 04:29 AM
Now you're talkin. ;D

dodgyboy90
25-07-2012, 10:08 AM
Ok so I have a mate who now lives in Weipa and he is planning the trip all I know is telle track to bamaga n that's all he has told me. If this helps. I'm waiting for a reply on more trip details.

dodgyboy90
25-07-2012, 12:18 PM
So Talking to him and he said a 4 day trek up to bamaga first stop is near wenlock river and fish there and a few other places on the way up then 2 days back then said he might borrow a mates boat and head out off shore for a bit and head down a few creeks n things.

shane450
25-07-2012, 12:26 PM
Hmmm ... probably just an all blokes trip! ;D

............... :)

shane450
25-07-2012, 12:38 PM
So Talking to him and he said a 4 day trek up to bamaga first stop is near wenlock river and fish there and a few other places on the way up then 2 days back then said he might borrow a mates boat and head out off shore for a bit and head down a few creeks n things.

If you get a chance in Weipa go hire a poly boat from the holiday park and head out the shipping leads jigging them on the way out and back , further out you go the bigger the critters get , heaps of fun , we do that every time we go up , its always great fishing , gets a little expensive on slugs though LOL Also throw a popper off the rocks at the tip , worth the trouble of carrying it out there . Have a look around the abandoned resort at the tip too , such a waste . I have photos of it degrading over the years from every trip we head up .

So it sounds your doing the standard root I mean route .

I d take a 7ft spin rig 50lb for the jetties and the boat and a 6/8kg baitcaster rig for flicking lures around headlands or in the snags .

These days I have travel rods , two and three piece ,when I m not taking a boat up , my days of messing around with full size rods and taking more rods than I ll use are over .

Pack all your gear secure too ,the roads up there turn nice shiny new gear into rubbish LOL :)

tuna44
26-07-2012, 12:42 PM
If your fishing the Wenlock near Moreton Station, you can easily get away with light gear for sooties, toga & small barra. Walking the river there is an easy way to catch a few fish, you only need a foot of water and an undercut bank to pull a few fish.

Bad_Bubby
28-07-2012, 10:47 PM
A medium 2-piece threadline outfit like a stradic 4000-5000/ with a raider or tcurve in 7' is essential. There are times other gear will get used (barra baitcasters, live bait gear etc) but a fair chunk of the fishing such as using poppers, soft plastics, and small hardbodies can all be done with this outfit. 12 is ridiculous, 3 or 4 max would suffice.

dodgyboy90
04-09-2012, 08:28 PM
Up here finally we are camped at Punsand bay and are looking for somewhere good to fish for the next few days we are hitting the tip tomorrow.

thelump
04-09-2012, 08:37 PM
Straight out the front mate. Go and get some herring from seisa wharf and throw them out at Punsand. We caught Goldens, Queenies, Barra (small) and school Macks straight from the beach! And if you have a boat there take a look way out and to the right a bit and you will see a rock/reef. Try out there for all sorts of things including some big Spanish!

dodgyboy90
06-09-2012, 08:52 AM
Has anyone hires a boat from new mapoon. How much and is it worth it.

upstart
06-09-2012, 11:45 AM
If you are planning to fish the leads at Weipa I'd suggest taking a 100lb handline too. It was the only way we managed to land the big Jew.

thelump
06-09-2012, 05:39 PM
Has anyone hires a boat from new mapoon. How much and is it worth it.

Yeah we hired his 18ft Cairns custom craft CC. Cant remember what it was worth but it was worth it. Old mate launched it and threw the cast net and filled our livie tank up for us. Its a good boat that one.

dodgyboy90
06-09-2012, 09:37 PM
Hey Jason did you hire that from cairns or somewhere up the tip

thelump
07-09-2012, 07:47 AM
From here

http://www.capeyorkhireboats.com.au/page12.htm

dodgyboy90
07-09-2012, 11:16 AM
Cheers Jason we gunna see how much money we got lol.