PDA

View Full Version : Landing Net for Boat

JollyDave
23-07-2012, 07:53 PM
OK Guys, not sure if belongs here in in tackle section, what is the best landing net for trailer boat fishing, general off shore etc.

Dave

:P

Out-Station
23-07-2012, 08:47 PM
Dave, i have a net from this mob, the second one i've had (first one stolen). Probably more expensive than some but good heavy duty, high quality stuff in my experience. I have one that i can screw a gaff into as well just in case the old gaff makes it over the side one of these days and i'm left gaffless.

http://www.hookem.com.au/index.php

Scott

Micadogs
24-07-2012, 02:24 PM
Hi JD,

I use a cheap Wilson tackle landing net for offshore. It hasnt failed me in 3 years. I net anything up to about 10kg, over 10kg try and use the gaff.

johncar
24-07-2012, 09:14 PM
Not answering your question exactly but I have hardly ever used a landing net offshore and don't have one in the boat, because I always have at least a 40lb - 60lb leader most keeper fish can be lifted safely. I am also very reluctant to gaff any fish and find little need to do so. There are not many larger predators that I want to put in the box so most of them are released at the side of the boat. However I do have a gaff on board and will head gaff the occasional spaniard and that is mainly to stop it attacking me when it comes aboard. So it depends a bit on what you are targeting but most bottom dwellers shouldn't need to be netted and it just causes problems with hooks getting snagged in the mesh.
I would though use a landing net when fishing light lines inshore and have found a fine mesh with a large opening works well

ShaneC
24-07-2012, 09:49 PM
I saw the title and thought you were out catching boats!! I was going to hit you up for some bait suggestions.....

On a serious note, I am in agreeance with johncar, I dont even own a landing net for the big boat but I carry three gaffs and generally use 100 lb leader. If it cant be lifted it is gaffed. landing nets take up too much room and create tangles imho

timddo
24-07-2012, 10:56 PM
I usually use light line, so a landing net is a must. I would hate loosing a good fish by the side of the boat.

nigelr
25-07-2012, 07:07 AM
Make your own is best. Buy a large replacement net (mesh part) and bend up a hoop using ali solid round at 10 or 12mm. Buy some thick ali tube (25-30mm wide x2 or 2.5mm thick, length to suit) for the handle. Copy the design of an existing net ie ends of tube bent to fit properly into tube. Place a foam stopper couple of cms lower than the legs extend. Rough up the legs of the hoop and the inside of the tube with coarse files and clean thoroughly. Mix a nice batch of marine epoxy and filler (microspheres etc). 1/2 fill the space between the stopper and the top of the tube and insert the ends of the ali hoop ensuring the space is filled by epoxy. Stand upright in a vice and allow to set after ensuring all is positioned correctly. Epoxy an endpiece of timber, rubber, plastic etc to the bottom of the handle afterwards, or you can use the same mix and use masking tape to hold in place/prevent spillage.
Simple, cost effective and very durable; the solid profile and thick tube is stronger than most that you will buy; you could use 304 stainless just as easy with 6mm round and 25mm x 1.5mm tube - just a bit harder to bend, a bit heavier and a bit more expensive.
I keep gaff and net on board but generally prefer the net.