PDA

View Full Version : Adding a pod.

centrefire
20-07-2012, 10:26 AM
G'day,

Some advice please. I've just replaced the transom on my 18 foot fibre glass boat, and was given a 600mm fibreglass pod.
The dead rise of the pod is less than the hull as can be seen from the pencil line. The pod will be 10 cm from the bottom of the hull.
Will the disturbed water displaced from the hull play havoc with the prop and will the stern still benifit enough from the deminished pod flotation? It will be pushed by a relatively light Evinrude 115( 150kg).

Thanks
vaughn.

centrefire
21-07-2012, 07:29 PM
Mmm... must be a very complex situation. Seems I'll have to suck it and see.

Thanks anyway.

BM
21-07-2012, 07:36 PM
Hi mate.

Where possible a full depth pod is the hi. Even better if it's full width too.

As close as you can get it to the bottom will be the go although it won't supply much in the way of flotation do you will be a little affected by the cantilever effect.

With pods such as that the rule of thumb is that for each foot back the engine is from the transom raise the engine 1 inch. You will need to experiment with the setup though to get the perfect engine height. You may need to switch to a 4 blade prop also to aid in reducing cavitation due to the pod setup.

Cheers

DAZMC1
21-07-2012, 08:01 PM
82565As you can see Edencraft have been doing it for years and no dramas there.

centrefire
21-07-2012, 10:16 PM
Thanks BM and DAZMC1.
I was due to drill it on tomorrow and not without some trepidation. Feel more confident now. Cheers.

BM
22-07-2012, 01:57 AM
Anytime mate.